Chip/Remap (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I have a 67 plate Ducato Multijet2 Euro VI 130. OK as far as it goes but lacks torque when tackling mountainous hairpins, where the revs drop off and the turbo does not kick in. Seems sadly sluggish compared to the 3.0l Iveco lump in my last van. Just wondering whether to remap or chip. I know the cautionary tales told of clutch wear after remapping for more torque but what is the difference between the 130 and 150 Euro VI? Is it just the Fiat ECU programme? In which case the drive train is the same, presumably. Anyone with info?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
My experience has been to not let the revs drop below 2000 when climbing, as far as a remap goes I had it done once but would not bother again.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think the 150 is 11kg heavier so likely to be a bit more than just ecu settings. Possibly a larger turbo?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a 67 plate Ducato Multijet2 Euro VI 130. OK as far as it goes but lacks torque when tackling mountainous hairpins, where the revs drop off and the turbo does not kick in. Seems sadly sluggish compared to the 3.0l Iveco lump in my last van. Just wondering whether to remap or chip. I know the cautionary tales told of clutch wear after remapping for more torque but what is the difference between the 130 and 150 Euro VI? Is it just the Fiat ECU programme? In which case the drive train is the same, presumably. Anyone with info?
Yep, that's what 130's do, our first van was a 130, practically stalls on hairpin bends on a 1 in 6.
The 150 has a variable vane turbo and it's fine on mountain roads, much easier to drive.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We had our 110BHP Peugeot remapped when we bought our Elddis 175 secondhand and it has made a big difference in power and driveability. Ours has been remapped with a Quantum map produced for the 110BHP Peugeot, as for the old chestnut re the clutch, it's down to how the driver treats the clutch. Ride it at traffic lights, hill junctions and racing gear changes and you can expect to bugger it.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Yep, that's what 130's do, our first van was a 130, practically stalls on hairpin bends on a 1 in 6.
The 150 has a variable vane turbo and it's fine on mountain roads, much easier to drive.
Thanks Lenny HB , now you tell me! Just need a heavier right boot in neutral when changing down. Probably knacker the clutch spinning the revs up and dropping into gear!

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
We had our 110BHP Peugeot remapped when we bought our Elddis 175 secondhand and it has made a big difference in power and driveability. Ours has been remapped with a Quantum map produced for the 110BHP Peugeot, as for the old chestnut re the clutch, it's down to how the driver treats the clutch. Ride it at traffic lights, hill junctions and racing gear changes and you can expect to bugger it.
a customer at work had a quantum remap on his ducato autotrail and reckons on 5mpg better fuel consumption so it paid for itself on one european trip, so just had my X244 2.8 ducato done to hopefully gain some mpg and power

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
a customer at work had a quantum remap on his ducato autotrail and reckons on 5mpg better fuel consumption so it paid for itself on one european trip, so just had my X244 2.8 ducato done to hopefully gain some mpg and power

We are getting better fuel consumption, but did not want to say through fear of getting slagged of from the "you can't get more power without using more fuel" brigade. :rofl::rofl:

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
my mate just had a quantum remap on his bmw 116 and the trip computer showed 68.8mpg on a 150 mile trip

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Can't comment on the rechip question but can confirm that the turbo on 150 bhp engine is different to 130 bhp. If thinking of changing turbo I believe other changes are needed.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Beware that the Ducato clutch is not the best one in the world.
It can fail after only 35000 miles --- especially on mountain hairpins :Eeek:

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
It's not mpg I am all that concerned about, it's torque. My last van, Laika A class, 3.0l Fiat/Iveco engine had a clutch go in the mountains in Portugal. Not the friction material, some sort of mechanical failure (my Portuguese not good!). But that was at the end of 60,000 hard miles.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Highly recommended TDI Tuning. They have taken care of our last two Motorhomes and offer an excellent package which is fully transferable when you change your Motorhome. Fitted on site or they post the tuning box to you. The bespoke box made a huge difference to my last Hymer 2.8 turbo diesel especially when going up hills fully loaded with a toad attached. Fully customisable from an Apt via a smart phone for toque, economy and power as you need it. No problem with Comfort insurance.
TDI reprogrammed the box and it’s now fitted to our new A Class with 3.0lt engine and Comfortmatic gearbox. No more sitting duck on motorway inclines.

https://tdi-tuning.com

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Just another thought. Having now learned that the turbo.on the 150bhp 2.3 is different to the one on the 130bhp, is it the same clutch on both or different. If the same, surely the cautionary tales about increasing torque via a remap and wearing out the clutch are misplaced (accepting that the Ducato clutch is a bit iffy in any case). Wouldn't there be more 150's requiring earlier clutch replacement than 130's. Or perhaps there are? Any ideas out there?

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Changing the power means you're outside of the conditions of your insurance contract, meaning it is void, meaning at the first serious accident your life as you know it is basically over. Whether you provoked the accident or not, you'll be declared responsible of the accident because your vehicle is not approved for road driving anymore.

Don't count on no one checking your engine. If the accident is serious with serious liabilities, they check everything.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Changing the power means you're outside of the conditions of your insurance contract, meaning it is void, meaning at the first serious accident your life as you know it is basically over. Whether you provoked the accident or not, you'll be declared responsible of the accident because your vehicle is not approved for road driving anymore.

Don't count on no one checking your engine. If the accident is serious with serious liabilities, they check everything.
You could just inform them and 99% of the time they just make a note and all is OK.

Martin

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Wow, that is very different from what is written in our insurance contracts. So it appears your insurance covers it, great.

Here we also have to redo the approval process to make the vehicle legal on road. Since you (still) have a EU Certificate of Conformity, I really doubt it is that simple.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Wow, that is very different from what is written in our insurance contracts. So it appears your insurance covers it, great.

Here we also have to redo the approval process to make the vehicle legal on road. Since you (still) have a EU Certificate of Conformity, I really doubt it is that simple.
I take it you are in the Netherlands, I don't know of anybody in the UK who has had a problem getting insurance cover whilst declaring the remap/chip, our van is too old for a certificate of conformance but many are newer than ours and have been chipped/mapped.

When we talked to a dealer in Germany re a trade in they said that they would have to rewrite the map back to standard before they could sell it.

Martin

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Generally it makes little to no difference to insurance as long as the claimed increase is below about 20%, but it does depend on the insurer.

Watch out for chip tune boxes claiming massive mpg improvements, figures that you may even see from the trip computer. The problem is, the boxes fit between the ECU and the injectors and modify the signals to alter performance. So the ECU might not have an accuracy picture of how much fuel is being used. They can improve economy, but probably not as much as they claim.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010

Tell your insurer and record the answer. Mostly, they don't mind.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If I have understood the previous few posts most UK insurance companies are not too concerned about remapping, as long as you tell them. BUT your Certificate of Conformity will no longer be valid and the trip computer will tell you porkies.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
The only reason I fitted a tuning box to our Motorhome was to improve the torque, which it did as mentioned in my previous post. This improved the driving experience and gave more confidence when overtaking slow lorries on motorway inclines.
It was never the intention nor should it be to improve the top speed of a Motorhome.
That is why our insurance company were absolutely fine with the tuning box.

Sneaky Blinder

Free Member
Jul 12, 2019
South Ayrshire, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bessecarr E560
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
OK, as a newcomer to the forum, and still to purchase a MH, do not want to ruffle feathers.

However, have years of experience of modifying diesel cars, ECU maps, clutch upgrades, brake upgrades, and everything else involved.

So, my first upgrade to our first motorhome will be an ECU remap.

Chips or boxes are a false economy.

They reroute your ECU with false info, allowing the engine to run at higher temps.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Since you (still) have a EU Certificate of Conformity, I really doubt it is that simple.
It isn't except in the Uk where anything goes & fitted by anyone.Never ceases to amaze me that the UK insurers don't use the CoC/ anti-tuning directive to refuse claims.
Tell your insurer and record the answer. Mostly, they don't mind.
as they are also blind to the fact that any modifications put the vehicle outside its CoC making it illegal.

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
when I had my Rapido Mercedes 3 litre re- mapped the guy from Quntum tuning said its impossible to see the remap , even a Mercedes dealer computer cant tell.
I advised my Insurance company about it but the underwriters said it was ok.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back