R 90

Free Member
Sep 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
As has been mentioned the 2.3 doesnt have the torque,
They do respond to re mapping, i used diesel tuning box on my 2.3 with good results,
Actually have one on my 3 litre for the last 10 years,
A friend has recently fitted a tuning box to his 2017 2.3 with good results,
Not getting into a debate over whats best, both methods increase injected quantity slightly,
Charles,

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
I recently remapped our Autocruise 2.2 Peugeot as felt it lacked power on hills. Seems better but never going to be a speed machine, I'd be tempted to go for at least the 2.3 if we ever swapped MH. As for mpg its too early to tell

I do my own as I have the BHP UK remap tool and they just supply my files.
I've done my Passat and Vauhall Vivaro 1.9 and both made driving a lot easier and cruise along it top gear better with less changing down.

As long as you don't have a heavy right foot they are very good. Drive them sensibly and they tend to give better mpg. The tuning boxes do work but are are crude and never going to be as good as a proper remap.

My Passat has 260k on the clock and I remapped it at 180k :)

R 90

Free Member
Sep 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The issue is with euro 5 onwards vehicles ,
especially Nox which goes up when tweaking boost pressure at lower rpm while adding more fuel,
On standard mapping euro 6 engines are seeing many manufacturers updates to meet revised regulations,
Nox and dpf efficiency issues are commonplace with warning lights ,
Providing a small gain without triggering warning lights using a simple or complex method is the best case,
For the average customer a plug and play option is easily removed if issues develop,
As many will be in warranty period or no access to the re mapper on holiday,
Its a totally different scenario to re mapping pre euro 5 diesels,
Charles,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Had cars remapped, but not bothered having the motorhome done as it's got plenty of power / torque.
Just make sure you tell your insurers. Our latest (X5M) only put £32 on the annual premium.
Don't bother with "tuning boxes" - total waste of time and money, and can cause damage.
Manufactures can tell if the map has been modified. Therefore it's up toe individual to decide if the warranty (if applicable) is worth risking.

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Had cars remapped, but not bothered having the motorhome done as it's got plenty of power / torque.
Just make sure you tell your insurers. Our latest (X5M) only put £32 on the annual premium.
Don't bother with "tuning boxes" - total waste of time and money, and can cause damage.
Manufactures can tell if the map has been modified. Therefore it's up toe individual to decide if the warranty (if applicable) is worth risking.
I have both a remap in my current van and tuning boxes in my cars, one is a brand new one, its plug and play fitted in seconds and I paid the extra few quid to have the Bluetooth option which means if I require extra power e.g. towing, hilly roads then I can do that from my smart phone within the car, I can't do that on my remap, I can also take it with me to another vehicle and pay a small fee to be updated for the new one, you can't do that on a remap! I also get greater fuel economy, not quite as good as they suggest but still better, I can also go to a selection that makes the fuel economy at its best, I have tried this and not seen any loss of performance from standard but yes better fuel economy. When I go to 7, the highest option the car is another machine, you have a choice 1 - 7 with 1 being economy mode, check out on the attached link and you will see the gains.

My insurance companies know and on my motorhome there was no increase in premium, its great for the long hills on the way to the SofF (y)

Here is an example, a Fiat 2.3 150ps, open the link below, click on the Technical Data Tab and then on View data sheet, you will then see the precision of what it can do, you don't get that on a remap!

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry but with respect your above post is absolute nonsense, I have both a remap in my .... snip.... with 1 being economy mode, check out on the attached link and you will see the gains, but please don't go bad mouthing these boxes unless you know what you are talking about!

Your post without the bits I've highlighted would have been absolutely fine, but by adding these sleights you ruin the post and encourage others to have a pop back. There is absolutely no need to sit on a high horse before you post, it just encourages others to do the same. Please desist and dismount. Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have both a remap in my current van and tuning boxes in my cars, one is a brand new one, its plug and play fitted in seconds and I paid the extra few quid to have the Bluetooth option which means if I require extra power e.g. towing, hilly roads then I can do that from my smart phone within the car, I can't do that on my remap, I can also take it with me to another vehicle and pay a small fee to be updated for the new one, you can't do that on a remap! I also get greater fuel economy, not quite as good as they suggest but still better, I can also go to a selection that makes the fuel economy at its best, I have tried this and not seen any loss of performance from standard but yes better fuel economy. When I go to 7, the highest option the car is another machine, you have a choice 1 - 7 with 1 being economy mode, check out on the attached link and you will see the gains.

My insurance companies know and on my motorhome there was no increase in premium, its great for the long hills on the way to the SofF (y)
:)
Here is an example, a Fiat 2.3 150ps, open the link below, click on the Technical Data Tab and then on View data sheet, you will then see the precision of what it can do, you don't get that on a remap!

Seems a high price for what appears to be a minimal improvement 596, not to mention the additional stress this torque increase will no doubt put on the mechanical integrity of the power unit suspension and braking systems but I wouldn't knock it as I have never tried it... :)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
U tube videos aplenty showing tuning boxes to be bad mostly posted by remap guys:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back