LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Asking this for a friend but it may be useful for anyone else who has one.

The friend has a stand alone diesel heater for his static caravan and it doesn't appear to start up. There is diesel in it and the power supply is correct. The pump and fan work individually when instructed to do so (but not together - not sure if that is relevant).

It does not appear to ignite at all.

When the heater is switched on the fan runs for a short time (a minute or so) and then switches off, maybe that is normal and because there is no heat to blow around.

The pump only works if told to do so via the controls / remote control.

The instructions are rubbish and in such poor English that Chinese instructions would have been more intelligible!

100_9550.JPG
100_9549.JPG
100_9546.JPG

Any help gratefully received.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
This may help,not enough power to glow plug?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Enough current to work the glow plug (takes around 12amps at 13.6vdc)?
Air flow for both room heating and intake/exhaust - check blockage or filters.
I don't think these all in one units come with a fuel filter, so a fuel blockage possible.
Glow plug failed - this might be shown as an error on the screen?

Those are the four things I'd check first. I think. As always, could be something else too :)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'll get Martin to go round and ask him to check all those things. The simple things are usually the most likely suspects - if you know what the simple things are.

You are all stars!

The man has a static caravan on the building plot next to us and I think his wife will move out or in with us if he can't get the heater going!!!!!!

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Press 'Settings' (the cogwheel) and enter 9009, then go through the options and check the LCD is set to 12V.

As noted check the gloplug.
If it was powered down when disconnected from the supply it may have fried the ECU inside so check for melted bits.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Has he primed the pump?
My mate had one and the pump was working but there was too much air in the system.
watch

Yes, that was the first thing Martin checked when our friend asked for help. The fuel feed line does do an upwards loop though so I wondered about an airlock.

I think the power supply is probably not up to the job so have suggested he sorts that out first. If that doesn't work he will come round to watch you tube and have a look at facebook.

I thought our travelling vans were complex but the static takes it to a whole new level - an ex-rental van that he bought cheap to live in whilst he built his new house but I think he's spent more time sorting out the static than working on the new house :( Too many bodged / cheap repairs by the previous owner.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Many many thanks. Martin is going down to see if he can get it sorted :)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Our friend was called out yesterday evening and was out most of the night so is sleeping at the moment. When he is awake we will see if we can get the heater going. I think the power supply isn't up to the job or / and the glow plug needs to be changed but we will see.

I don't know about fault codes Enword , I have problems reading LCD panels after my rentinal surgery :( Quite literally the uninformed leading the blind. lol I'll ask the men to read out any fault codes and will check them. I've printed out the fault code description you posted so they have an idea.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
A point about the fuel pump: it only pulses when power is sent by the main unit and is used to vary the heat output. So basically it can't pump anything unless the main unit calls for fuel and even then will pump in single shots. So the initial purging of the fuel line isn't all that easy. Once done, of course, the run of the fuel line won't affect it.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Yippee !!!!! Heater now working. As suspected the power supply wasn't up to the job.

Our friend is now going to put a fuel filter in and an extra fuse somewhere (don't ask me where - possibly on the input side before it attaches to the heater - I am not that technical).

Martin is so impressed with the heater he is going to get one for us in case we need it this winter. At the community planning meeting this morning (informal group of people who help out in their communities as and when needed) we were told that this winter is forecast to be severe and we should plan accordingly.

Our friend is very impressed at the knowledge on here and the speed and depth of answers. Once he has his house built he's thinking he might build a motorhome :)

Donation made to charity in thanks for the help to a non-member :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back