Chicken wing`s..??????????????? (1 Viewer)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Got a box of Birds eye fresh Chicken wings.... (Raw)...

Most have seen Daisy our dog...

How many should I give her.??

And do we give her any thing else for her main meal of the day.???

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Chicken bones are dangerous for dogs Mo., thinking on cooked bones are dangerous, you said raw, they aren’t supposed to splinter like cooked ones.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Nothing wrong feed raw to dogs or cats
Just done feed them cooked ones as mentioned above can splinter and cause issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
We always give our Boxer Heidi raw chicken wings as a treat, as others have said cooked chicken bones will splinter though

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Any worries anyone about salmonella with raw chicken?

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Still looking into chicken wings for Charlie but just read if frozen first it helps kill off bacteria.

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Hi @old-mo I don't know what your feeding regime is with Daisy but I always fed my Bullmastiffs 4-5 raw chicken wings each in the morning and then they had their main meal of raw tripe and biscuit in the evening...raw chicken wings should be fine for Daisy as she isn't a small dog and should be able to crunch them up easy enough...Give her 1 first if she eats that ok then give her 2 more.. If you feed her twice a day give them for breakfast and her main meal later...If you intend to feed them as her main meal once a day then I would give her about 5/6 of them.... I always fed mine the wings by hand so I could make sure they ate them properly one at a time rather than putting them all in their feeding bowls in one go as they can get greedy and gobble them too quickly rather than crunching them properly and risk choking.

Silvia

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I found with all our dogs, one, raw & frozen, given as a treat, was enough, any more given, say, as a complete meal, they upchucked.
Chicken mince however, we used to buy it in 10kilo frozen chunks, with rice or spaghetti/pasta was OK. (I used to run the Chunk thro a band saw to carve it up into dinner sized bits ready to defrost).

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Are you talking as meal replacement, a snack or a treat?
How good is Daisy with bones, and chewing?

I give Kerry (greyhound) one wing as an "interest" immediately after her morning meal, or a couple in the middle of the day as a treat.

I give them frozen, doggy lollipops :D2

Always RAW.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Daisy`s normal boring food regime was this =

Morning (Breakfast) half a measuring mug of dry pellet like stuff..

Lunch time (Midday) a chew stick to clean her teeth (Dentax Stick)..

Evening,Half measuring cup of dry pellets, and half a tray of supposedly various meat and rice mixed together.. (Wainwrights mixed meals.)

And during the day when she has behaved... a few treats (Gravy Bones and "Earls Marrolls" Oven baked Marrowbone flavoured Rolls) , which are about the size of a large sweet we eat..

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Any raw food should be frozen for two weeks prior to feeding to dogs. It kills off any pathogens (so I have read)! But my puppies have eaten raw chicken wings from 6 weeks of age. They loved them. Depending on the size of the wings my Cockapoos get two each at lunchtime. And a boneless raw feed for breakfast and tea. Chicken wings have a high bone content so you need to balance it out by feeding boneless for two meals.

Re bones....cooked ones splinter and should never be fed to any dog. Raw ones are fine providing they are none weight bearing.
Weight bearing bones are harder and may damage teeth.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I give Jazz one a day as a treat. Watch Daisy eat the first few, but she'll be fine. most medium to large dogs can eat chicken wings from just a couple of months old or even younger. Raw only, get them used to eating them fresh, then when they are used to them, give frozen as a treat, they last longer frozen (y)

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Daisy`s normal boring food regime was this =

Morning (Breakfast) half a measuring mug of dry pellet like stuff..

Lunch time (Midday) a chew stick to clean her teeth (Dentax Stick)..

Evening,Half measuring cup of dry pellets, and half a tray of supposedly various meat and rice mixed together.. (Wainwrights mixed meals.)

And during the day when she has behaved... a few treats (Gravy Bones and "Earls Marrolls" Oven baked Marrowbone flavoured Rolls) , which are about the size of a large sweet we eat..

Ok..If she were my dog I would give 3 wings for breakfast then 2 for lunch and give her evening meal as normal ..You can cut out the dental stix because the chicken wings will clean her teeth far better than those dental stix...gravy bones etc fine as a reward treat ..It will be a little bit of trial n error to start with but use your own judgement as to her weight..you can always increase or decrease the chicken wings...I have also fed the chicken thighs to replace wings now and again as they are more meaty..thighs not legs.

Silvia

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Gave her two tonight for her evening meal...
She did not know what to do and just walked round with them in her mouth... :doh:

Eventually eating them, they were quite large wings...

So will carry on with her normal feeding regime and give one as a treat now and then...

Thanks for all your reply`s.. (y)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Err...never mind chicken wings for the dogs, I love them myself. A nice marinade in the fridge overnight then roasted in the oven till the skin is crispy:tounge:. Chappie is fine for your best friend.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
You can cut out the dental stix because the chicken wings will clean her teeth far better than those dental stix...
(y) or replace the denta stix with a chicken wing daily ..
This...
Dentastix are full of rubbish, possibly even harmful - though I don't think an occasional one is too bad, but I wouldn't be giving one daily...
...a bit like giving a kid a tube of sweets everyday.

Cheap dog food is full of filler, that's why it's cheap. It'll do, but you wouldn't eat only Big Macs would you...
Feed the best you can afford...

The RAW enthusiasts suggest 80/10/10, that's 80% meat, 10% offal & 10% bone... no vegetable, no cereal.
Those who promote a BARF feeding regime are 80/20 ie 80% meat, offal, bone with 20% vegetables - not cereal.

Dried dog food can be almost the reverse. With the majority ingredients being cereal or other starch fillers (rice, potato) and a minority of "meat"... and even that is dubious hidden behind weasel words such as "derivatives" or "meal".

But there'll be as many opinions on how to feed, what's best to feed as there are dog owners. There's "experts", "professionals", corporations & activists - all with their own agendas.

Like feeding yourselves, you make the choices between fresh cooked or pre-processed microwave meals... chips or fresh veg... most likely a combination effect.
If Daisy is fit, healthy & happy - then I wouldn't worry too much.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Its strange how back in the day most dogs were fed the left overs from tea time/evening meal.
You never had to worry too much about picking up disease from their sh*t as after a couple of days it was white like chalk.
However did these dogs survive prior to the dog food industry selling the "healthy" dog food life style.
Strange how we so called intelligent humans get sold all this B S :rolleyes:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Its strange how back in the day most dogs were fed the left overs from tea time/evening meal.
You never had to worry too much about picking up disease from their sh*t as after a couple of days it was white like chalk.
However did these dogs survive prior to the dog food industry selling the "healthy" dog food life style.
Strange how we so called intelligent humans get sold all this B S :rolleyes:
The reason it was white was because of the bone in it. We feed our three completely on raw 'meat'. It is ground, waste meat, offal, and bone. We noticed immediately that their stools are always firm and when dry are white.

If it's of any interest in addition we include a chicken wing whole in the morning feed and include veg left over from our meals in the evening. The Vizsla also has an obsession with banana skins so has one of those each morning. The exception to all of this is when we're away in the mh they're all on Lilys Kitchen dry food, occasional beef or chicken mince + a chicken wing each morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back