Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Has any one overnighted at Marias lately
As is one of my favourite eating place's.
Last year rumour has it you were getting moved on.
Not that I have been moved on myself.

Laurie.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For Portuguese Virgins:blush:, could you elaborate.

We could be driving past 'Maria's and not know.
Where is it?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont worry a mate has been up there for about two weeks now.
had to wait for some bits to be posted to another friend that lives in ourique,but didnt have parking enough for him .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
It's a secret........so not tellin'

mainly cos I don't know:)

C'mon....somebody spill the beans!

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Earlier this year (March I think) we were "asked" to move by the local police courtesy of the local new campsite. We asked why? Camping not allowed! We then had a nice conversation and the policeman confirmed we were not camping - no step out, no awning , no chairs etc. and he agreed we could stay the night. Others did move on though.

For what it's worth it was very obvious the police did not like having to do it but we can only assume the people that own the site (and can see most of the parking by Maria's from there) have a bit of local clout.

I hope they will continue to allow overnight parking at least otherwise her business will really suffer. Every time we've been there 80% of the vans used Maria's even if it was just for drinks.

Deleted User
Earlier this year (March I think) we were "asked" to move by the local police courtesy of the local new campsite. We asked why? Camping not allowed! We then had a nice conversation and the policeman confirmed we were not camping - no step out, no awning , no chairs etc. and he agreed we could stay the night. Others did move on though.

For what it's worth it was very obvious the police did not like having to do it but we can only assume the people that own the site (and can see most of the parking by Maria's from there) have a bit of local clout.

I hope they will continue to allow overnight parking at least otherwise her business will really suffer. Every time we've been there 80% of the vans used Maria's even if it was just for drinks.

Yes but where is it??

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
It's on the Barragem do Monte da Roche near Ourique. If it's a secret it's not a very well kept one - it's very popular.

But as always people camping for a long time with everything and the kitchen sink outside their vans, pee people off.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Yes i agree about kitchen sink, but its more to do with campsite owner.
No vans go as he has nothing to offer. and expensive.
I wonder if i show my fishing Licence to the police and say i am going to do some night fishing will they say ok.
As i do like good barbi chicken, and hand cut chips washed down with jug of wine.
all in for under 20 euros for two.

Reactions: Ven

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Ven wrote, "It's on the Barragem do Monte da Roche near Ourique"

I told you we could be driving past and not know.

That was one of the Barragems given to us by some very nice people in Braganca.
We've already had a lovely night next to one. (Please note, not ON one, that would be silly and we would get our feet wet)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Further report from the Portugal Virgins.

I am not going to embarrass myself or SWMBO by giving details but a word of warning (and NOT of the usual kind)

Me and 'er overnighted at Maria's during our holiday. We had a very peaceful night although it was blowing a bit of a hooley outside. We were not alone. There were a couple of 'Johnnies' in adjacent 'vans.
That is not my warning.
Here it is.
We were taken for a ride (financially) by the incumbents of the shack that is Maria's.
We had a one course plate of food and half a lt. of wine for which we were charged an inordinate amount of money. As stated, I'm not going to into details but suffice to say, before and after, we have had a three course meal each with wine and a cover charge and a port and coffee for 60% of the price that we were charged at Maria's.
If you should go there, get a price for the meal first.

For those unfamiliar with the establishment, there are only two items on the menu, chicken or pork and the menu is a blackboard on the outside wall. I didn't expect a rip off and have not been ripped off since.

You have been warned.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Been going there for 3 years now never paid more than 19 euros for the both of us with cheese wine's and a bottle of beer as my starter.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
That's a shame.

We've been three times and the most we've paid is €11 a head with olives, bread, chicken and/or pork, chips & wine. It is certainly not the cheapest we have had but I like the authenticity of it and it has always been tasty and more than enough.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not even close, either of the last two reports. That's all I'm saying, and beware.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back