Cheyenne 740S Nothing but Problems (1 Viewer)

M

Macclad

Deleted User
Bought new April 2008 - Here is the list of problems so far, I have spoken to Colin Treacher at Autotrail and they are not interested his attitude was "go see your dealer" I regard this as their problem.

1. Leaking hot water pipe
2. Electric doorstep to habitation door has failed to retract, this has happened three times and is as we speak being repaired yet again.
3. Light in lounge not working
4. Water pump needed replacing
5. Shower tray faulty and we had to wait six weeks for a replacement and the new one is far from satisfactory.
6. Truma heater incorrectly installed i.e. not enough ventilation to unit so unit overheats cuts out even though it is cold inside the van.
7. Heating is not balanced, it warms up the bathroom and bedroom but not the Lounge.
8. I was led to believe we could use the vehicle in winter but recently whilst in France the water system became frozen and the tank drain off pipe burst.
9. Door to bedroom won't close
10. After five days on a campsite the vehicle would not start due to a flat battery - Fiat camper assistance had no idea why.
11. Bathroom fittings constantly vibrate loose and fall off
12. Metal stays underneath the vehicle which supports the cills vibrate loose
13. TV monitor sometimes won't work
14. Mains/Consumer control unit needed replacing
15. Waste water tank guage only reads empty or full or in other words states the bloody obvious and is no use at all in determining what room is left inside the tank.
16. Water leaking from fridge
17. Intermittent fault on fridge
18. Rooflights require so much force to close them properly that it feels as though the handle will snap off

I have taken the van back so many times since April and at my expense. Regarding travel costs (90 miles travelled each time) Autotrail said it's my problem. I say I have taken on their duties to test the vehicle properly and have contacted Truma regarding an installation I think is not fit for purpose and has now to be modified to allow sufficient ventilation around the Truma heater - pretty basic stuff

The Vehicle is at present in for repairs after a three week trip.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Id contact trading standards and inform the dealer you are rejecting the vehicle as its not fit for purpose and demand a refund.

Will be a long drawn out process but you need to start NOW!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi rejecting it will be a long drawn out process indeed. We have a member on here who has done or doing it right now,so hopefully they will pick up on it or someone may remember there name :thumb:to tell you how to do it and there experience of what has been done if that is the way you want to go.Wildman -Roger will know who it is :thumb:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Autotrail unfortunately are correct in that your contract is with the supplying dealer and not with them, a rather short sited view to my mind. Unlike Swift who take owners problems seriously.

Regretably we cannot assist you as it is an Autotrail product although we could where the Truma is concerned if it was faulty.

If your dealer is giving you good after sales service and endeavouring to sort out the problems then you will have a problem on rejecting especially if you continue to use it.

Regards

Peter

OP
OP
M

Macclad

Deleted User
Thanks for the replies and I am aware of who I have a contract with, the dealer has been helpful all the way but I can't accept Autotrail using dealers as "cutout".
Autotrail in fact don't mind contact being made to the sales staff on their website so why not the after sales staff?

Refusing the vehicle at this point would be problematic to say the least and we have bought the thing for pleasure not conflict. I had a similar experience with a new Rover car some years ago and the outcome has been that I will never buy a british car again ever. Autotrail need to listen to its customers and not its own sales tripe.

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Sorry to here your problems, I too have an Autotrail 660, new in may 2008, the dealer is absolutely useless, all i get is the best they can do or they have no staff, I ended up with Autotrail authority taking the van to Discovery, they fixed it in short time, the majority of the repairs I have carried out by myself, when I have complained to the dealer about there stuff up, I told them should should i do it myself, they replied ok and have even supplied me the parts:ROFLMAO:

S

stagman

Deleted User
[Any good news on the Autotrail , just bought a Miami on a Renault 2.5 .Drives great and build quality looks pretty good no problems yet touch wood .Any comments :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Thanks for the replies and I am aware of who I have a contract with, the dealer has been helpful all the way but I can't accept Autotrail using dealers as "cutout".

Refusing the vehicle at this point would be problematic to say the least and we have bought the thing for pleasure not conflict. I had a similar experience with a new Rover car some years ago and the outcome has been that I will never buy a british car again ever. Autotrail need to listen to its customers and not its own sales tripe.

My sympathies are with you, but the fact of the matter is that many products are not fit for the purpose for which they were bought and as we live in rip of Britain you pay pay through the nose for rubbish products.

In addition to this the so called customer protection that this and previous governments have introduced are nothing more than a con to keep the public quiet, until they get bitten that is.

The Swift Group are no better, they claim that they find alternative parts for spares that they should have in stock but the alternative parts require that the motorhome needs modification before the parts will fit. this of course vastly increase the cost of repair!

Then we come to the bottom line, ie the workmanship and the materials that go into motorhomes are rubbish.

Doug

OP
OP
M

Macclad

Deleted User
Stagman,

The good thing about our Autotrail is that we like it and it suits our needs perfectly and if we could only take a trip without problems and having to take the vehicle for repair after each trip we would be ecstatic.

Good luck with yours I have only owned a Tracker and this Cheyenne.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back