Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Thought I would make a start in this section :Smile:

I find that generally the Auto-Trail motorhomes are well built. We are on our fourth auto-trail starting with the cheyenne 634L then 635 but didn't like the bed make up on this model. Our 3rd was a 2004 Cheyenne 660SE which we had for nearly four years and found on the whole that was very reliable.

Collected our current Cheyenne 660SE in November so haven't been able to give this a proper test as yet. So far the build appears up to their good standard.
New features compared to our old one includes flip down TV monitor which seems quite good. One thing to watch out for: if any work on the mh involves eg dismantling battery charger then make sure the service centre re-programs the radio.

We had our charging unit replaced and on the way home the radio wouldn't work. On turning off engine radio worked but SRC button wouldn't work. This is needed to switch to EXT-IN so that you get sound when watching TV.

This was sorted by the dealer and I was told radio had to be re-programmed. As it was all set up on collection I didn't know about this. Still don't know why the radio didn't work with engine on! But have checked afterwards and seems ok now. I don't always find the handbooks/manuals very clear when trying to sort these kind of things out.

Back to the motorhome: other changes:

Bigger fridge which is nice but don't know yet how much gas it will use.

Rear window has gone which is nice when reading in bed.

Two wardrobes and a cupboard with shelves which is useful.

Leisure battery compartment now under offside sideskirts: This I do not like as more exposed to the elements and in frost/freezing conditions not so good.

No spare wheel but a puncture kit. This leaves good storage at the rear but the rear skirt is flimsy and no proper lock for securing equipment stored there.

The nearside locker door has gone. Underseat access ok from inside but less room inder the seat than before.

Gas locker now on nearside but only takes Calor 13kg x 1 and 6kg x1 (Propane) or equivalent in butane.

New kitchen surface which I like, same for round table and large table.

I also like the new LED lighting but have yet to try the 12v side of things properly like when we are touring in France and using 12v only.

The fixed bed seems more comfortable.

A NEW habitation door: ? better than previous new door 2006/7 However we have had issues with this already when door wouldn't lock with central locking fob or manually. Luckily we were overnighting at the dealers and it was rectified next day but felt very insecure that night. Couldn't seem to lock it manually either from inside. seems ok now.

What I would like is a way to additionally secure the door from inside. When using the fob or buttons in the cab to lock door I have no way of physically checking door is locked other than making sure the silver levers are pushed right in. On the old door once the lever was in the up position I new it was locked and I could wedge a piece of wood that fitted in nicely between lever and plastic surround so it prevented latch being opened from outside.

I have probably missed a few things but they are the ones that spring to mind.

Have used the new MH for over 2 weeks in Nov and a few days this Dec and have found it very good apart from from minor issues. Will know more after our long trip to France in 2008.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Welcome to the forum, I bought my 2005 Apache in November. Only used it for 2 nights so far, but on the whole we are happy with our purchase.

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
andyman,

Happy travelling in your Apache, do you belong to the Auto-Trail club?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Rita
Nice to see you on our friendly site ::bigsmile:
Looking forward to reading your travel stories here :thumb: Great to see you again :Smile:

Keith

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Thank you Keith >:)

Must remember to write a blog this year as I didn't do one last year :Blush:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Our first run out since Christmas and New Year was to the Shepton Mallet show. We went from the thurs until the monday.

Just to report that all went well and the Cheyenne 660SE performed well. We were on hook-up so still not able to see how the 12v system coped. Will do so when its a bit warmer.

The sargant charger/control panel did show a reading of 15.1v one morning but I think this must be due to the cold weather and A/T siting the batteries under the offside side skirts on a platform beneath the offside seat. Very exposed to the weather here and the only explanation I could think of for the control panel to show a higher volatage than one would expect. It only seemed to be in the morning (well didn't notice at night as I was asleep :winky:) otherwise seemed ok.

The blow air heating kept us warm as toast ::bigsmile:

lookback

Free Member
Nov 30, 2007
Mareham le fen, Lincs
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
5 years
Autotrail Cheyene 660SE

I bought a 2004 Autotrail Cheyene from Brownhills Newark last October and have just returned from 3 months in Spain towing an A Frame. All in all I am very pleased with the van apart from the niggling fact that when in bed there is no where to lean my head to read a book - I cannot read lying flat on the bed!! My experiences driving the vehicle on the continent were; a french white van man broke my passenger door wing mirror (Brownhills quote £204:09 + vat for part plus 1 hours labour of £70 plus vat) Autotrail at Grimsby did not want to know!)
Travelling down the motorway near Madrid I heard a loud bang and a decelaration of power. I stopped at the next toll station and contacted SAGA breakdown who sent a breakdown truck after 5 hours. The turbo hose had come off the turbo. Apparantly this is a common fault with the Fiat /Ducato engines due to them using a crimp type jubilee clip to keep the hose on. To avoid any further problems I recommed you change the to the jubilee clips you can tighten with a spanner/screwdriver. I think the diameter is 3". Keep a couple spare in your tool kit. Next problem was on connecting the A Frame to the motorhome the indicators would not work and on investigation found that the 10amp fuse had blown (this is a smaller size fuse than the conventional car fuse!) A friendly french garage mechanic told me that the added electrical load towing the car placed a burden on the motorhome electrics, he replaced the fuse with the next grading up. So far so good.
Ian

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear of your mishaps. A lot of money for a new wing mirror:cry: Probably even more on the new Ducato X2/50 chassis. Did you try a Fiat dealer?

Yes have read about the turbo hose coming off and I bought a jubille clip just in case.

Exchanging 10amp fuse for a higher one!! There was a report on another forum when a French garage did that and all his wires melted!!! So perhaps check it is safe to have the higher rated fuse.

Luckily for us the new Cheyenne 660 doesn't have a rear window so reading in bed is just fine now. I agree in our 2004 model that was a bit annoying.

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Just arrived back from 3 months travelling in France with the NEW motorhome.

I can report that all went well on the whole and we have done over 4,000 miles now and some of that up and down very high passes.

So the NEW Fiat Ducato coped quite well apart from this Famous reverse gear juddering!!! I did find this to be a PAIN reversing on anything other than very smooth surface and flat surface at that.

The slightest incline or rough ground eg: gravel or even just hard ground and even trying to reverse on a grass pitch then it JUDDERS! Levelling: forget trying to reverse up levellers!! I tried upping the rpm but ended up stalling twice and gave up in the end.

Other than that the new Ducato coped well.

The Hekki on the Auto-Trail cheyenne 660 is another matter. With all the hot weather we had, we could only open this slightly and then the winding handle went all tight and we were afraid to force it.

To me this winding handle seems a bit or rather very fragile and not man enough for the job. The Rapido has a much thicker winding handle. Also when open the support seems flimsy as well, and any wind makes the Hekki flap much more than our push up one on the previous Cheyenne 660. What would happen if we could open this more!

The fresh water tank overflow is another matter. We would fill up with water at an Aire de Service and as you probably know they will dispense 100 litres of water. We drive off and reach our destination and end up with 75% or even 50% water. A friend said we were gushing water going up hills or turning corners!! Not very good! I did try not to fill up but sometimes we couldn't avoid it and if you have paid for the water it is a pain to lose 25% or more!

In the end I trimmed a wine cork with a plastic top and fitted that at the end of the overflow pipe. This did the job for the rest of the holiday.

Other than that we only had some minor niggles which I dare say will be sorted soon.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Exelent report especially as we fancy a Cheyene 740s or 840s.

The problems with the Fiat have put us off changing untill there is a cure though. I know we could get a Merc on the 740 but none are aviable untill 2009.

At least the Autotrail bit has been ok apart from a few small problems.

Thanks Richard...

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Glad it helped Richard.

I must say the Fiat problems are off putting. To be honest even though the motorhome drives very well, unless FIAT address this reverse juddering issue and fully resolve the water ingress issue then I for one may not purchase another Fiat based motorhome.

I am on my 6th motorhome 4 on a Fiat and 1 on a Peugeot and 1 on a VW so the manufacturers/dealers have had a bit of money off me. My next one may be in 3 years time............but then may be not unless these manufacturers get their act together and consider the customer.

I have read reports that even Ford has a lot of componets from the sevel group so this means limited choices for us the customer.

Mercedes is more expensive but if it is more reliable.................

740sman

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
swansea
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
3 months caravan for 21 years
cheyenne 740s se

just been reading your posted on the 660se,as we have a new 740s with only three outings so far.its a good layout we wanted the same as our old fleetwood caravan,that we did being that the front seating been shorter.

we have had some small bits to do at chelstons,lock on the door to the bedroom was catching on the frame,also i found the rear backpanel(grey) were the spare wheel could be housed has split. we were told that we will be getting a new rear panel.

one thing we have put in is a mirowave into the housing above the very large fridge,but we find that it does vibrate when travellling on B roads.

Has anyone got any way of stopping this, we mite make a cover of pillows to see if this will stop it from vibrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So far the 740s is working well,but it will have a better work out in sept when we go away for a few weeks.
:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Hi 740's man,

Glad you like your mh. we also fancied a 740 but went instead for another 660.

Are you going abroad for Sept? as we shall be in France then also after visiting my mother in Swansea.

We are still enjoying our 660 but this reversing lark is a real pain in the backside. I wish FIAT would sort this issue out.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
We have the 840D

We got the new 840D about 3/4 weeks back and we have problems with the roof opening windows and the side door just like some of you but apart from that we like it, but time will tell we will see when we go to Spain in Nov for 3/4mths.

PS:we are looking boom arm and round table in black as it does not come with the 840 if you no of one up for sale pm me please,and just got in with the Auto trail club for free first year.

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
There is an Auto Trail rally at Kirkby Lonsdale from this Thursday, supposed to be for a week but it has been extended I believe because the Keswick rally was cancelled. The rugby Club wanted £20 a night (can you believe it!! what a rip off).

We did notice the other day our coolant was down to minimum level so had to top up with Parflu. Never had this happen in a motorhome before! still I checked before driving off today and found that the level was the same after topping up. So pleased. Will keep an eye on it. Just hopping it was due to all the Alps etc on our 3 months tour in France and some very hilly areas here in Yorkshire.

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
Hi we are a bit new to this motorhoming lark, we have a cheynne 660, great apart from the reverse problem,

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Well the Cheyenne 660 SE on Fiat 2.3 litre 130 multijet has just returned from another stint in France. All in all nearly 5 months in France this year and over 6,000 miles notched up.

Apart from the reversing judder it has performed well and has survived Alps etc.

If Fiat can get this reversing problem, high reverse gear, sorted then I will be a happy bunny. If not then Fiat will lose a customer.

Having said that Auto Trail are ditching the Mercedes! So where that leaves me regarding choice of base vehicle, heaven knows. Change make of motorhome?

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
The mh had its first service last month. All went well.

Chelston Motorhomes in Somerset did both the Fiat and habitation side and sorted out some problems for us. They even changed the big hekki for us as it was difficult to retract flyscreen blind due to the runner being warped in one spot.

The habitation door has also been sorted (well all seems ok at the moment). We had a devil of a job closing the door without resorting to slamming it often needing more than one attempt.

A new inner part has been fitted and it was a pleasure to close the door :Smile: Long may that status reign!

R

roger loiselle

Deleted User
Exelent report especially as we fancy a Cheyene 740s or 840s.

The problems with the Fiat have put us off changing untill there is a cure though. I know we could get a Merc on the 740 but none are aviable untill 2009.

At least the Autotrail bit has been ok apart from a few small problems.

Thanks Richard...

We have recently taken delivery of a new cheyn 660 with a 3 litre engine and an automatic gear system and am glad to report no juddering problems, (I have been told the problem tends to be with the 2.3 engine). We will be setting out in January on a fulltime tour of Europe approx 2 years, before shipping over to Canada and the US.
ANY tips accepted with enthusiasm as we are firstimers!

Regards Roger Loiselle.

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
congratulations, however, please check the waste water to the sink, wash basin and shower, we had major problem, had to leave tank open and carry wastemaster. It was a kinked pipe in the main waste tank

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
:thumb::thumb:
We have recently taken delivery of a new cheyn 660 with a 3 litre engine and an automatic gear system and am glad to report no juddering problems, (I have been told the problem tends to be with the 2.3 engine). We will be setting out in January on a fulltime tour of Europe approx 2 years, before shipping over to Canada and the US.
ANY tips accepted with enthusiasm as we are firstimers!

Regards Roger Loiselle.

:Smile:You will love the 660, I know we love ours. However here are my tips.

1. By the freeview box there are two switches, turn them off when not using the van, otherwise the battery will discharge.
2. Buy a spare wheel from Fiat and a good quality tyre from indepedant supply/fitter. if you use their aerosol the tyre is unrepairable, and it will fit below the floor at the rear in its original locker.
3. We inflate our tyres 58 psi front/ 68 psi rear. We find Fiat pressures too high.
4. The Fiat Maxi chassis which the 660 is based on has been extended at the rear, unfortunately, we have found this is not as good as the Alko chassis.
(a) On motorways/dual carriageways it has a strong tendancy to tramline when following the deep wheel tracks made by the HGVs, we have noticed we cannot keep up with the Alko chassis in these conditions.
(b) If fitting a towbar attach right back to the Fiat chassis, I have seen towbars attached to the chassis extention only.
5. Sink top, oven glass, etc we wrap in towels to reduce the rattles.

:Doh: I you need any more of my bad advice you are welome to PM me.

melvin

740sman

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
swansea
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
740s repairs

hi rita
sorry we did not come back to your reply but been off the site for some time, our m/h has now been back to cheltsons also for the rear locker to be replaced together with the sink unit which was markrd when we had the m/h from new. they also did the side locker that would not close!!!!

we also have the juddering bug but we have now got a case number from fait.so the work to change the gears/engine mountings/clutch etc will be done in the new year.

we are giong down to spain later next year for 3 weeks to see the other group of full timers, we may sell up and do the winter/spring in spain and the other time in the uk.we will see as this is going to be a tester for us.

wish you all th best for xmas

martyn
:Smile::Smile::winky::winky::winky::Smile::Smile::winky::winky::Smile::Smile::roflmto:

carlandflo

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt(s)
Exp
Since 1973...
Hi Rita,
We are new to the forum, although not new to motorhoming...
I have been enjoying this lifestyle since 1973 when my parents bought a CIM Bedouin on a Bedford chassis and we toured Europe every year in the summer until 1980. Since then I have owned 3 other 'vans ranging from conversions to coachbuilts.

Tomorrow (today?) Florence (my wife) and I travel to Webbs Motorcaravans in Warminster to collect our latest..... Autotrail Cheyenne 696G SE on a Mercedes chassis. We specifically wanted a Merc. due to all the horror stories we had heard about the new Fiat.:thumbdown:

And how is this for service: we originally placed a £1000 deposit (on a £34000 'van) back at the beginning of September. It has taken until yesterday to get money out of France (my wife is French) and onto our UK account then into the dealers account!!!! Through all this time, Webbs have not once put pressure on us to complete the deal, or threatened us with selling the 'van on. It has been waiting in their compound for us to sort the finances out in France. :thanks2: AND TODAY WE COLLECT IT!!!! THEIR LAST TRADING DAY BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!! And on Monday we head for Salzburg for Christmas and the New Year so...............:rollonfloor::rollonfloor:

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL.............::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Will let you know how we got on when we get back...............
(Boy oh boy i cannot wait to get to Warminster....)

Carl and Florence

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Martyn,

Glad u got a few things fixed. Hope your trip in the New Year goes well. Wish it was us going..........I suppose there is nothing to stop us. Mind u we have spent about 7 months away this year so guess we should spend sometime at home :winky:

Yes we had a letter from Fiat and hope to hear in January when we can take the mh to chelstons for the judder fix.

Carl, Florence,

I missed seeing your post before you left for your travels. But just in case you get to read this i hope collecting your mh went well and that your are enjoying it.

Have a Great Christmas everyone ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

740sman

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
swansea
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
fait letter

hi rita

just had our letter from fait looks if we and to wait untill march 09 for the next stage, that could be taking the m/h to cheltsons also. the m/h is now in winter state and i have a small 500watt fire comes on each night to keep the frost away.today i ran up the engine also.

at least the fuel bill has come down and ive been putting a lirtre into the tank every few weeks so that when i go away again we will have a full tank.

wish you all the best for 2009 lets hope it goes thro like a dose of salts. then we can all go back to the sun again with money in our pockets ha ha.

have a good one bye

martyn

trackerman

Free Member
Feb 28, 2008
north east lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
Hello,

We have a Autotrail Tracker EKS 08 model, my husband keeps going on about this judder.

How come you are getting these letters to have it looked at.

Please would anybody tell me about this and do you have to register it with someone.

Look forward to your replies please.

Thanks.

740sman

Free Member
Jul 7, 2008
swansea
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
how to contact fiat to get a case number re juddering

hi trackerman

the whole juddering thread is well covered on the following:

www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/foums/thread-view.asp

call into your fait dealers and get them to test your m/h up a 1in5 slope in reverse gear.

after that get the head office of fiat to give you a case number.

this letter will come to you around three weeks.

we have just had ours,giving march as a date to start the work on the repairs.

address as follows:

fiat customer relations
fiat house
240 bath road
slough
berks
sl1 4dx

tel number
0800 3899119

you will have to talk to the staff and give answers to a number of questions.

then you will get a case number.

after that a caller will call you back in 24 hrs.

read the thread to get the drift on outandabout before going to your fiat dealer.

best of luck
hope that is helps you.

trackerman

Free Member
Feb 28, 2008
north east lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3 years
Hi 740sman,

Thanks for your reply its much appreciated i will do what you suggested and hope to have it sorted.

Thanks again Sue.

OP
OP
zulurita
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Sue,

Hope you managed to get your Fiat judder registered with FIAT and that they have given you a case number.

From another forum FIAT posted to say they are behind sending out letters to people re the modification.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back