Chevy 454 p30 (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Class A
Hi , I'm new to the forum so please accept my apologies for the level of understanding that i will probably show !
I have taken over a "project " and i am really struggling getting the Chevy 7.4l engine to fire. (back story) I was told the Motorhome was driven on a short journey to undertake a re-fit. On the way the engine overheated and failed ,upon inspection the heads (one of ) had failed. It was towed back to base. A mechanic was called and he has stripped the top end,all the vacuum hoses,removed the heads and pressure tested them. One has failed as predicted. Thus i have taken on the project, which is where i have started from. Purchased a pair of matching heads which match the engine numbers. Purchased a gasket set from Realsteel plus the another gasket set as the heads had a slightly different water jet from realsteel. Replaced the heads and manifold with the correct torque and gaskets and replaced the carb. Dropped in the distributor as i thought at the correct position and tried to start her up. All i have got so far is a backfire with no sign of firing ??? I have plugged the vacuum ports excluding the distributer, intake port and rocker cover ? but i am at a loss ? Is there anyone out there who knows someone that either has a picture of the vacuum set up in idiot form or knows someone that loves to have a dabble with these 1988 mk4 Chevy bbc 454 7.4l beasts. I am in Leeds (Yorkshire) if anyone can help (I'm Happy to pay !) i would appreciate any help with this .
Sorry for the essay above, i thought it better to include most points good and bad !

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Would you be better off going on an American forum that deals with Chevy engines?

But the old V8 is pretty simple if it’s naturally aspirated.

If you’ve got compression, fuel and a spark shell fire up.

As a guess I’d say the dizzy is out 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Class A
Hi , Thanks for that . Really i would love to for someone who has some knowledge of these engines to come out and have a look . Thank you though, i already have done what you said.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Have you got a spark

Have you got clean fuel in the bores

Have you got the dizzy set correctly

If all the above it will fire up I’m sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Have you set the engine at tdc and the dizzy just before points would open.

Pour petrol into the carb, don’t rely on the tank and pump

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Class A
So Sorry !! All new to this !
I have tried all the normal stuff and petrol is flowing ? I think it is a timing plus vacuum issue but i haven't got the experience ?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Throttle body injection? If so and all timing correct could be stuck injectors, they don't like to sit, look, carefully, down the throttle body when cranking watching for fuel flow. Backfire means some is present but perhaps not enough? I managed to get some going once with ample wd40 and an air line, likely not the recommended method. rvoc.co.uk, sister site to fun may offer more, as mentioned above?

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Throttle body injection? If so and all timing correct could be stuck injectors, they don't like to sit, look, carefully, down the throttle body when cranking watching for fuel flow. Backfire means some is present but perhaps not enough? I managed to get some going once with ample wd40 and an air line, likely not the recommended method. rvoc.co.uk, sister site to fun may offer more, as mentioned above?

Injectors as inside the carb?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have a workshop manual, if you want a copy pm me your email.
To send a pm hover over my photo and click start conversation.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I doubt a 1988 engine will be fuel injected but I'll stand corrected.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Could be so many things.
As mentioned above.
Are plugs wet (fuel) after cranking
Do you always have a good spark
Are you sure plug leads are on in the correct order
Do valves need to be gapped, or have their timing done, checked
Do you have compression
How old is the fuel that you are using

Upvote 0

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
It sounds like you are fishing in the dark any one with a bit of mechanical knowledge should be able to time this up and check your firing order, there must be lots of places around you as Rodley motors were the biggest v8 dealer in the UK not that long ago.
Good luck

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Many years ago had the same symptoms with a mates car .. everything seemed fine, comp, fuel & spark ... eventually turned out to be a cracked inlet manifold.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back