LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a 1962 greeves that is about to be put on the road so will be MOT'd etc.

I would LIKE to get the number swapped to the motor home but keep the Greeves road legal too

I 'think' this is possible and the DVLA will issue an age related plate to the Greeves ?

Any one help with info as to viability and costs ?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's a standard procedure to do it. I believe that the cost is the standard transfer fee (£85 ????????) for each vehicle.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Did the same with the number on my merc SLK, you put the number you want to transfer from your bike on a retention certificate, apply the replacement number to the bike, then using the retention certificate re register you Moho just make sure your name is on both v5's - don't ask

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Don't need to put anything on retention if you already own the vehicle you want the number to end up on. It can all be done in one go.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Even with an old plate I'm pretty sure you have to comply with modern day colour scheme unless the recipient vehicle was manufactured pre sept 1972

Yep you do. If you come across a bored Plod you will get a bollocking/ticket depending on how bored they are if you have a black and silver plate on a new vehicle.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
My first ever bike was a 1962 Greeves 25DC with a Villiers 2T engine, loved that old bike, don't suppose it is still in use now, SVG 879, where are you?.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My first ever bike was a 1962 Greeves 25DC with a Villiers 2T engine, loved that old bike, don't suppose it is still in use now, SVG 879, where are you?.
Nope....dead and gone unfortunately.

Screenshot_2015-04-01-22-53-50.png

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Even with an old plate I'm pretty sure you have to comply with modern day colour scheme unless the recipient vehicle was manufactured pre sept 1972

yes, as said, unless the recipient vehicle also predates the new plate laws it has to have proper yellow and white ones fitted

More or less the same bike then !
This one has been accredited as an ISDST jobby ( ex works ) .. its registration number is currently XFF 327

And I have just noticed a cock up in the log book !
It states it is an 'historic vehicle' but says it was first registered in 1982 not 1962 !!
But given the reg number etc I somehow doubt the DVLA will have much trouble sorting it out ! :) ( Heres hoping any way !!! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have been looking for OXR885 which was a beezer combo ( B33 ) but that too has long since died .. yet I cannot get the number re-issued which is just nuts !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
yes, as said, unless the recipient vehicle also predates the new plate laws it has to have proper yellow and white ones fitted

More or less the same bike then !
This one has been accredited as an ISDST jobby ( ex works ) .. its registration number is currently XFF 327

It states it is an 'historic vehicle' but says it was first registered in 1982 not 1962 !!
But given the reg number etc I somehow doubt the DVLA will have much trouble sorting it out ! :) ( Heres hoping any way !!! )
Yep....that ones there...including the incorrect registration date.

Screenshot_2015-04-01-23-05-46.png

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In 1982 aug 1st was the 1st day of the new registration year.

DVLC, as was, probably updated their records that year.....or maybe it was just a cock up on their part....(most likely the latter)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just dug up a letter
It concerns this..
the year of manufacture is correct and it was first road registered in 1982 !
The number plate was issued against the receipt by the DVLC of a certificate of manufacture by the Greeves owners club ( as was, back in the day )

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
it may have changed but you couldnt swop from bikes to cars im going back a long time but i had gym and 3 numbers and couldnt transfer it

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just read right through the application form notes and it always states 'vehicle'. There does not seem to be any restriction as to what type

Equally though, there is no mention of a new age related number being issued to the donor vehicle ?

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
My reg came off a 1962 bond three wheeler it's now on the MH but had been on two cars prior to the van. Pete

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So Peter, when you swapped the numbers, were you issued with an age related plate for the Bond ?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes you get an age related plate for your Greeves but that will be non transferable. We sold a plate of a BSA C15SS and got a age related replacement, I now wish I had kept the plate myself!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
But manufactured in 1962 and used off road without registration no doubt. Proof of age via the frame number would allow it to be classified as an historic vehicle. I have done that several times with vehicles (ex service landrovers)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I had a Norton Jubilee that had been restored and carried its original number but the log book was marked that the registration could not be transferred. There is a date that all vehicles had to be registered on or SORN declared. Any that were unregistered on/after that date could have their original number registered with proof i.e. old pictures, log book etc. but the number then became not transferable.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
From what I can gather the cut off date was around 1994 ( a lot of changes seemed to happen around that time )

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have swapped reg numbers from car to bike trike and back to cars again
Just fill the form in and send it off
You used to have to send in tax disk but I think that's gone
But if I remember correctly both vehicles must have a MOT
Mayby wrong as its a few years ago
It must be easy as I have done a few times

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Yes you can change reg from motorcycle to car, van etc, as long as the doner is older than the recipient. It's not an mot that the doner must have, but it must either be taxed, or not tax expired by more than a 12 months. The recipient vehicle must have MOT, and insurance,, and be re taxed as part of the transfer, unless of course you are putting it on retention. This means that if your doner, the motorcycle, hasn't been on the road for a while, then you will firstly have to insure it, to then take it for an mot, then tax it (tax it on monthly direct debit, then sorn it after a month, so payment then stops), unless you wish to carry on using it. The age related number you get for the motorcycle will be non transferable.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
So Peter, when you swapped the numbers, were you issued with an age related plate for the Bond ?
Yes it was about 20 years ago, I got an age related plate for the bond, then put the Bond plate on my car, then on my next one then 2 years ago on to the van. Pete

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes you can change reg from motorcycle to car, van etc, as long as the doner is older than the recipient. It's not an mot that the doner must have, but it must either be taxed, or not tax expired by more than a 12 months. The recipient vehicle must have MOT, and insurance,, and be re taxed as part of the transfer, unless of course you are putting it on retention. This means that if your doner, the motorcycle, hasn't been on the road for a while, then you will firstly have to insure it, to then take it for an mot, then tax it (tax it on monthly direct debit, then sorn it after a month, so payment then stops), unless you wish to carry on using it. The age related number you get for the motorcycle will be non transferable.

I think I will tax the donor bike.. Not sure how to set up a direct debit with a value of zero thats all LOL !! ( tax is zero as it is an 'historical vehicle' ( hysterical would be more apt ! )

So far so good then.. Now, a few folk mentioned a stamp on the log book if the number has been swapped out before so cannot be done again..
Where is that stamp gonna be and what does it look like ? I cannot see anything odd on the V5 but being a bloke, if it not big, red and flashing I would 'proly miss it any way !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back