Cherburg Then On To The West Coast (1 Viewer)

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Does anyone have a favorite aire after leaving Cherburg heading down towards Brittany please ?
Stop off for fueling up on the way down so around an hour or two down on the west side would be good for our first nights stop over there. Got all the aires book and camper contact etc.. but nothing like experience from folk that have been there.

We did similar route into Brittany a couple of years ago but that was from Calais. We got as far as Ile De Re so hope to get that far again but only have 4 weeks this time and we want to spend a bit of time on sites for a change, Any recommended sites around the west coat would be great too .

A few places we will revisit as they were good but mostly will try new places to change it from our last time over that side of France. Thank you.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
May be i posted this in the wrong section ? ;)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Right section, but maybe no one can recommend campsites in Brittany.
I only know one, at Locmariaquer. It's the municipal campsite La Falaise. Right over the road from a superb beach and close to monoliths and stuff. Never been there, we use the aire over the road, but it looks nice.
This I think is a link to their website. Can't try the link cos our internet here is soooooo sloooooow.....
Broken Link Removed

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks Allanm that looks a good one and its on route around where we will be stopping on the way down, hope theres room when were around there. (y) anything else be appreciated folks.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Right section, but not many travel on that crossing..

Many years ago we used it with a caravan, but didn't stop on the peninsular .. we were heading toward Royan and didn't stop until we got there.. these days we would do that journey in small bites ..

Your post prompted me to check ferry prices on that route, and I was shocked at the cost .. around £500 return in July/Aug for a 7mt van... maybe it's cheaper off season..

anyway.. sorry can't help.. but Campercontact is excellent, I'm sure you'll find an overnight stop within 2 hours of the port...

safe travels..

Deleted User
Can't help with the Cotentin but if you are travelling to S.Brittany I can recommend the Presqu'ile de Guerande. There are lots of Aires all around the area Le Pouliguen, Batz sur Mer,Le Croisic, Guerande,La Turballe,Piriac sur Mer,Mesquer/Quimiac plus lots of sites.Very popular with the French so very busy in season.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Great crossing, Poole to cherbourg. Don't know why more people don't do it :)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks guys for the replies so far, i anticipated at the beginning of the year that there would be trouble at Calais this summer so as we were heading west and don`t like the route to Dover and back i decided to pay more for the Poole to Cherburg crossing a bit cheaper with CC but not much and when i added in our 2 dogs it was just over £500. But worth it for the shorter more pleasant route compared to our normal Calais crossings. Also saves a few stops west from Calais and diesel so swings and roundabouts on cost - savings makes it a good option for us and the 4 hour crossing is not to long.
A mixture of aires and sites on way around the coast plus a stop at my mates place in Plogoff on route this time will give us a more relaxed trip as we did a lot more aries last time moving through areas quit quickly so we probably passed some great places on way down ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Great crossing, Poole to cherbourg. Don't know why more people don't do it :)

yes, it is a great crossing.. but as I said, the cost puts me off .. and we are also much closer to Calais than Poole.. so not much, if anything, saved in mileage

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are heading to Brittany in September and I spent a while yesterday on campercontact finding possible Aires we could use. I found a lot of Aires had no reviews but by using the filter to select in my case aires with a score of 7 or more it still gave me plenty of choice but the number suggested was more manageable.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Like DBK we are off to brittany 1st sept , going brittany ferries 7 mtr only £335 return portsmouth to caen.
I use this site to check out aires
https://www.aire-service-camping-car-panoramique.fr/ & translate. it gives 360% visual of a lot of aires.
I lke Fougere aire & Campeneac aire, plus as Matamoros said the Presqu'ile de Guerande is well worth a visit, we used the aire at brambels st piriac sur mer

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you enjoy walking or cycling huelgoat in the center of brittanny is beautiful with several planned walks woodlands and waterfalls and a spectacular chaos of huge boulders

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
our trip started yesterday with a stop over after 3.5 hour drive slow traffic partly onto near Poole in a C.C. C.L with great little pub next to it the Plough in Manston. Then a short drive on to the Brittanyferry sailing at 8.30am. 4 hours and we were in Cherbourg longer customs checks due to the security levels and off down to a nice little aire de camping at Agon Coutainville for the night. Tomorrow longer drive to somewhere around St Brieuc.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
change of plan, a friend we are stopping over with at his little farm house in Plogoff on the Western point of Brittany is heading back to Wales for a birthday on Sunday so we have decided to get to him today skipping a couple of free aires we were using on route to him. So it looks like a long drive there today, 4 to 5 hours I guess !
if anything like last time it will be worth it . hic :)

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
The municipal site at Arzon, Port Sable on the edge of the Golfe du Morbihan is well worth a visit, looking over the atlantique coast, between Port du Crouesty and Port Navalo only a short walk from both, for shops and restaurants. Outstanding views, very popular with the French, good facilities and very reasonable.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks wag2cru il look on map tomorrow at those places (y) we got to my mates place at 8pm after a long 250 mile drive fair play he had the BBQ ready and the table was fully loaded , I have missed the merguez here so hammered them :) followed by a good helping of kronenburg 1664 then some Merlot red to ease my wobbly driving legs :D after dancing or some would call staggering beneath the stars we hit the sack with some force . Hope he has that nice strong French coffee on the go in the morning. Bonsior Monamee ? Hic :sleep:

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We had a nice lay in till 10am french time then coffee but no hang over for me which may be coz i dont drink that often anymore but my mate was a bit rough hahaha. Lovely day a bit hot again here so just right for a swim in the sea earlier a couple of miles run from the house in my mates little car.
Help him dry line annexe he built this afternoon then get the steaks on the BBQ and finish off the 5ltr box of Merlot :) Our 2 dogs are loving the freedom running around the land here and the girls following on poo bag patrol is funny to watch, he put a hammock up in orchard so my girls happy.
This fun sites great for advice on our travels and to bore you with stuff like this ;)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Exactly 2 hours south of Cherbourg (according to Google Maps) you've got Fougeres (NE of Rennes, from which all regional roads radiate), with an aire by the chateau, and a large parking area just up the road which is MH tolerant if you can't get into the aire. Nice spot for an overnight stop - decent-sized supermarket on the way back up to the main autoroute.

Not very well up on Breton campsites but have used the aires at St Guenole (near Penmarch), Quiberon (Port Blanc), Concarneau, Carnac, and Le Croisic (marina, one of five in the area), all of which we liked. We also tried the aire at Arzon which was OK in itself but we didn't find the area particularly inspiring - a bit over-developed for our liking.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , must agree with Magicsurfbus, Fourgeres, nice town & castle is well worth a visit. a couple of nice aires , Campeneac & Nort sur erdre.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Heading south to St louis aire looks good in all aires book and got Carnac as back up in case its full, probably look for a municipal camp site near a beach and nice town after for couple of nights, anyone know a good one between say Port louis and st Nazaire ?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Not sure where st Louis is but the Brambells aire at Piriac sur mer is nice ( bit tight , more like a car park takes about a dozen) opposite reasonable beach, gets busy
2802 Impasse de Toulport
44420 Piriac-sur-Mer
France
upload_2015-7-18_12-34-31.jpeg
upload_2015-7-18_12-35-22.jpeg
upload_2015-7-18_12-34-56.jpeg

upload_2015-7-18_12-34-31.jpeg

upload_2015-7-18_12-34-56.jpeg

upload_2015-7-18_12-35-22.jpeg

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Thanks Fidget im sure we stopped there 2 years ago (y) At aire port louis near Lorient now 10euros inc hook up cracking view of beach in front with a lot of french folk picking things to eat i assume on the rocky bits i may take the spinning rod over later, tides coming in and theres a few rods on the go there, and big grassed picnic area behind with the town just up the road which i google earthed earlier its a citadel town/port with nice beaches and shops for the bosses to look around, So will check it out tomorrow.
Just gotta find a nice camp site with a pool and maybe beach for my girl for next stop.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Made it down to a nice island Noirmoutier En L'ile near Nantes, nice big aire with seaside town very close. Weather was bit iffy on way down but brightened right up when we arrived :)
So tomorrow we hope to find a nice camp site a bit further down but failing that our target of La Rochelle is not that faraway before a proper stop on the Ile De Re . :cool:

Deleted User
Made it down to a nice island Noirmoutier En L'ile near Nantes, nice big aire with seaside town very close. Weather was bit iffy on way down but brightened right up when we arrived :)
So tomorrow we hope to find a nice camp site a bit further down but failing that our target of La Rochelle is not that faraway before a proper stop on the Ile De Re . :cool:

We're in the park and ride Aire in La Rochelle this evening, weather iffy this morning, but has turned out nice. Currently sat in the sun with a glass of the old vin rouge.(y)

We're off to Mortagne Sur Gironde tommoz (forecast dodgy tomorrow, but pretty good after that)

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
We're in the park and ride Aire in La Rochelle this evening, weather iffy this morning, but has turned out nice. Currently sat in the sun with a glass of the old vin rouge.(y)

We're off to Mortagne Sur Gironde tommoz (forecast dodgy tomorrow, but pretty good after that)

The park n ride there is good with the free bus to town, after the ile de re last time we went to puy du fou which was brilliant, but saving a return there for a later trip instead we will eventually make our way back up here to a wildlife park with dolphinarium on our girls birthday. Glad the weather is getting good again for the beaches to come.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
The girls have left me and the dogs home alone to go shopping There is a circus big top behind us and the lions were noisy in their cages till it got dark sounded like Jurassic park out there ! We will have a look at a fairy tale looking castle further into the town later that we spotted on bike ride yesterday evening, then find a beach on the way off the island for lunch, the girls fancy heading strait to La Rochelle and as the park n ride aire is big I'm not to worried about getting there early for a change.
We will catch a few aires we skipped when on the way back up, that wildlife park is Planet Sauvage near Nantes.

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Got in to la Rochelle around 4pm the park n ride is still only 10 euros a night same as it was 2 years ago including the free bus return to town. I met 1 other Brit here lent him hose fitting for water point. Bit late so had a ride around area on bikes and walked the dogs before having lasagne for tea and watched black sails pirate thing and the new mad max film. We will do the town and stuff tomorrow and plan a site on the island for day after, Thursday i think ?

OP
OP
autoswan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I booked a site we stayed on at les prices on ile de re using their online booking because spaces are getting less out there, all seemed to go through but no ref number at end so i e mailed them but no reply yet as the phone number they show +33(0)46298482 wouldnt get through no matter which combination i tried like 003305, 03305 etc does anyone know the correct code or full number i should be dialling from my mobile here in la rochelle as an internal france call ?

Deleted User
Try the French number without the code 46298482.

Just checked a French number that I have to use occasionally and it has ten digits so some missing, you mention 05 is that the beginning of the French number without the country code?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back