Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I'm looking at the Brittany Ferries site and thinking of booking Cherbourg to Poole in the middle of January. There seem to be two different timings. One goes at 18.30 and arrives at 21.45 and another on different days leaves at 22.15 and gets in at 07.00. Is that about twice as long or am I missing something. Maybe it's the sun and wine here in Spain that's confusing me!!

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I think it is some thing to do with the "Dock Workers" and paying them extra after a certain time...

So the ship/ferry creeps along through the night to arrive next morning..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
It is so that you get a nights sleep on board rather than disembarking in the middle of the night.
Have used the 'night ferry' a few times. Only problem is that disembarkation it coincides with rush hour in Poole.

Reactions: f6c

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The overnight ferries do indeed go slowly. They would be my preference but you need a cabin to have a good night's sleep.
You can of course go from Roscoff to Cork if you want to get back home. :xsmile:

OP
OP
Lookaround

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
The overnight ferries do indeed go slowly. They would be my preference but you need a cabin to have a good night's sleep.
You can of course go from Roscoff to Cork if you want to get back home. :xsmile:
Thanks for that John I might take the overnight one. Unfortunately the Cork one only runs from about April to October. I used it in September and the Pont Aven is really nice

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Go on the 6.30 pm one and when you get off ferry about 10pm British time, just park up where you would to get on the ferry and kip there for the night. Only down side is watching everyone get on the ferry in the morning. (y)

OP
OP
Lookaround

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Haha.love it.. However if you need a discount code for Brittany ferries let me know and I will pm you. Roy.
That would be fantastic @Khizzie and as I won't be booking for a couple of weeks yet, I'll let you know if I don't use it.

OP
OP
Lookaround

Lookaround

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
Go on the 6.30 pm one and when you get off ferry about 10pm British time, just park up where you would to get on the ferry and kip there for the night. Only down side is watching everyone get on the ferry in the morning. (y)
Thanks for the advice @Mikey RV . I'll keep it in mind for another trip. I'm usually in a Motorhome but for a couple of reasons this trip is in a car. Bring on next summer in my Possl::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back