Cheeky Red Kite (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Having a late lunch after arriving on site in the Chilterns when out of nowhere a red kite grabbed my club baguette. I was left with half a baguette and a slightly bruised hand. We put the remains of the baguette out for it and that was gone in less than a minute. I feed the birds at home but this was a new experience.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, there's loads of them round here. You can sometimes see three or four at the same time. They often swoop down for roadkill, too, and you get a good view.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Sort of awesome and scary at the same time!

Where my son lives in Wallingford, red kites fill the skies. I love watching them twist and turn.

I am sure that I saw a couple over the Hereford c&cc site where I was staying this week. I know they are venturing further into Shropshire so it is possible.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I wasn’t planning on feeding it, though perhaps I shouldn’t have left the remains of the baguette out. I think this one already has the aggressive scrounger habit without my help.

We've never had one steal out of hands before, like a seagull would. I'm not sure I'd let any little kittens out to play unsupervised, though!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
They are of Spanish heritage, we lived in the area at the time and year on year watched them increase in number and spread out.

AdamH

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2017
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Mooveo P6
Exp
Since 2017
134E9A81-1888-4049-9555-B77C1A2BF45A.jpeg

As Janine mentioned we get a lot of kites around here 😁

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
^^ A bit of a kettle there ;)

The re-introduction of kites into the UK seems a complete success.
I remember hiking with mrskevenh near Froxfield (small village nr. Marlborough) 20 or more years ago and we saw a kite. It was rare enough then that we spent almost 30 min stood watching it.
Now we often get a 14 plus kite kettle over our own village and only give them passing glances. :)

edit: Kitten safety - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_kite#Food_and_feeding the Kite diet is predominately carrion (dead stuff) but that doesn't rule out a hungry kite taking an easy small animal, right?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Having a late lunch after arriving on site in the Chilterns when out of nowhere a red kite grabbed my club baguette. I was left with half a baguette and a slightly bruised hand. We put the remains of the baguette out for it and that was gone in less than a minute. I feed the birds at home but this was a new experience.
Apologies for the funny, but it's the way you told it and I could imagine the shock on your face!!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Sorry, one more kite anecdote from out local ones.
There was a bit of bird noise in our skies and I saw several smaller birds hassling a kite that must've been too close to their nests.
The kite was nonchalantly & lazily spinning & turning away. But had headed to another couple of kites so then the small birds quickly shot off :)

Hmm! Looks like I need to learn how to recount events. ^^^ that was much more interesting in real life than reading what I wrote makes it. ;)

AdamH

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2017
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Mooveo P6
Exp
Since 2017
Yes the Kettle was bubbling nicely. They appeared at the same time every day for a few weeks on mass. They have been known to pinch food off the BBQ!
See videos

Attachments

• IMG_1803.MP4
    4.5 MB
  • IMG_1804.MP4
    5 MB

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wasn’t planning on feeding it, though perhaps I shouldn’t have left the remains of the baguette out. I think this one already has the aggressive scrounger habit without my help.

They have a habit of getting very persistent with scrounging ... they have become a menace in some parts of the world where they harass picnickers

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I wonder if so many raptors in one are has any affect on the the other wildlife? OK releasing a few and letting them breed but some release stations are feeding the birds so an unnaturally large number gather. Got to feel for our song birds and small mammals.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I wonder if so many raptors in one are has any affect on the the other wildlife? OK releasing a few and letting them breed but some release stations are feeding the birds so an unnaturally large number gather. Got to feel for our song birds and small mammals.
They are mostly carrion eaters they are very poor hunters to big and slow to catch most birds

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Kites do not have the right shaped peak to kill live food, they can only eat carrion and in fact need something else to open up the bird or animal body.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Kites do not have the right shaped peak to kill live food, they can only eat carrion and in fact need something else to open up the bird or animal body.
Predominantly carrion & mostly carrion from above posts are about right from checks on Kite eating habits. Like:
Feeding Habits
Red Kites are scavengers and prefer to eat dead animals, road kill. They have been seen to take smaller, softer animals such as mice, voles, rabbits, crows and pigeons but they are fairly weak hunters in comparison to say a buzzard. They also eat invertebrates such as beetles and earth worms, especially in Spring. They are also opportunists often attempting to steal from each other, particularly during breeding season.
Maybe they need to hear about their bill being only able to carrion :ROFLMAO:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I think Red Kites are carrion eaters and do not kill prey.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Predominantly carrion & mostly carrion from above posts are about right from checks on Kite eating habits. Like:

Maybe they need to hear about their bill being only able to carrion :ROFLMAO:
Alright, i meant that they are not equipped to rip live prey apart, 😜 bugs are a protein snack 👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back