Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
We turned up at the Gorge at 3am one Thurs eve .. pitch black, just started at the bottom of the Gorge and slowly drove up looking for an overnight stop ... first few little parking spots said 'no ovrnight' but about half way up there were a few great spots with no restrictions... we parked up and woke up the next day, in the most glorious sunshine , in the middle of the Gorge .... what a view, what a spot! I have added some photos ::bigsmile:

In the morning we drove back down again and spent a fab day in there ...wonderful :roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We turned up at the Gorge at 3am one Thurs eve .. pitch black, just started at the bottom of the Gorge and slowly drove up looking for an overnight stop ... first few little parking spots said 'no ovrnight'

This has cropped up before. If you arrive at 3am then you are not stopping overnight. So legally you should be OK as long as the sign is not more specific.

Anyway, what on earth were you doing driving at that time ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This has cropped up before. If you arrive at 3am then you are not stopping overnight. So legally you should be OK as long as the sign is not more specific.

Technicalities Brian, wouldn't rely on it :Smile:

It all depends on the wording of the TRO. Overnight could, for instance, be outside chargeable hours of 8am to 6pm.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Technicalities Brian, wouldn't rely on it :Smile:

It all depends on the wording of the TRO. Overnight could, for instance, be outside chargeable hours of 8am to 6pm.

Graham

Should there not be an obligation to make it perfectly clear ? But you are right, it's a fool's game to waste loads of time and money fighting "them" but we Brits do sometimes do it.

Currently a guy I know near Brighton was hit with a bus lane violation. He's gone back, photographed it all and he's convinced he did not do wrong so has submitted a defence and a big bill for his wasted time. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on. He thinks that they dare not fight him because if he wins there would surely be many people who would then claim a wrongful prosecution.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Should there not be an obligation to make it perfectly clear ? But you are right, it's a fool's game to waste loads of time and money fighting "them" but we Brits do sometimes do it.
The thing is that it is perfectly clear, in the TRO. If there is a sign for anything and we aren't sure exactly what it means then we should err on the side of caution until we've made sure (ignorance of the law is no defence).

Currently a guy I know near Brighton was hit with a bus lane violation. He's gone back, photographed it all and he's convinced he did not do wrong so has submitted a defence and a big bill for his wasted time. It'll be interesting to see how he gets on. He thinks that they dare not fight him because if he wins there would surely be many people who would then claim a wrongful prosecution.
If there is an error in the TRO then the council will have to admit it. I've known similar things happen when I was working in FoI. Having said that, I also remember cases of people asking for information which they thought would prove their case only to find that they proved the council's case :Smile:

By coincidence I once received a PCN for driving in a bus lane in London. Very nice document, complete with photo of a vehicle with my number plate. Trouble is the photo was of a Renault Clio and my car is a Citroen Berlingo. I pointed out to TfL that they had quite legally obtained my details from DVLA but by not checking the vehicle type before using my personal data to send me a PCN they had breached the Data Protection Act. The PCN was not proceeded with and I understand that TfL changed their system so that they now check vehicle types :Smile:

Graham

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008

I prob should have mentioned, that if you park where it says 'no overnight', you have to pay to park there, in advance to a traffic attendant so we were not sure what would happen in the morning, if we stayed there... i.e. parking ticket or early morning wake up call!

Very interesting re time limit on overnight ban though, didnt know that :Doh:

We arrived so late as we couldnt leave home til after work and we did make a few long stops on the way ... no traffic though :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Very interesting re time limit on overnight ban though, didnt know that :Doh:

Well I'm only talking "common sense" as seen by me and others. Any reasonable person would say "overnight" represents a time from one day to the next.

What else could it be, daylight ? Well that falls over between summer/winter.

Then there is the "tired" defence. The law says you must not drive when unfit "so I had to stop and fell asleep".

Where is would go really pear shaped is if one of the bastard clampers got you. So you probably did the right thing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back