Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Morning all,
We have been looking for a MH for nearly a year, loads of research online, exhibition (NEC in Oct 19 and Feb 20) and dealer visits etc. Although we had decided on a layout (twin beds) and type (A class) obviously our search came to a stop in late March. I have been watching a particular model that is at a dealers some distance from us and so by the time the lockdown came we hadn't been to see it. It is a 2019 unregistered model, when this lockdown is over we plan to visit.
My question is; I am concerned that it has been sitting at the dealers since last year, other than a full habitation check (which I will ask for) what mechanical problems should I be vary of? Plus anything else I should keep in mind?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I think you'll need to give more details on make and model.

As a side note, motorhomes spend an awful lot of time static, but saying that, l'd want to know about the following:

Tyres and the date stamp, as they may well have been fitted new on production, but what's the date on them. There's the first haggle point.

Oil, needs a nice clean fresh service, if it's simply been standing for so long. More haggle room.

Batteries. Most probably not been regularly charged, does it have a solar panel? More haggle room here too.

Don't call them in advance. When the craziness is over, just turn up and ask to look inside. Smell the interior and see how stale the air might be and it'll give you an instant feeling for it. If you call, they may well air it, charge the batteries etc and I'd want to see it warts an all.

Don't be swayed by it all and be prepared to walk if they still want brand new prices for it. You don't need to buy local, although it can be beneficial if you need warranty work completed. Many people drive hundreds of miles to buy their vans.

How much longer is the warranty running. If it's interstellar prices, I'd want the same length as a brand new, just delivered model.

Once you list the make and model, I'm sure someone will have the same van and give more advice.

PS, I'm only talking to you now, as you've not brought an A class yet, but once you do, then you'll be far to snobby to talk to the likes of us real motorhomers ??‍♂️???

Good luck, as it's a wonderful pass time, hobby and obsession ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
I think you'll need to give more details on make and model.

As a side note, motorhomes spend an awful lot of time static, but saying that, l'd want to know about the following:

Tyres and the date stamp, as they may well have been fitted new on production, but what's the date on them. There's the first haggle point.

Oil, needs a nice clean fresh service, if it's simply been standing for so long. More haggle room.

Batteries. Most probably not been regularly charged, does it have a solar panel? More haggle room here too.

Don't call them in advance. When the craziness is over, just turn up and ask to look inside. Smell the interior and see how stale the air might be and it'll give you an instant feeling for it. If you call, they may well air it, charge the batteries etc and I'd want to see it warts an all.

Don't be swayed by it all and be prepared to walk if they still want brand new prices for it. You don't need to buy local, although it can be beneficial if you need warranty work completed. Many people drive hundreds of miles to buy their vans.

How much longer is the warranty running. If it's interstellar prices, I'd want the same length as a brand new, just delivered model.

Once you list the make and model, I'm sure someone will have the same van and give more advice.

PS, I'm only talking to you now, as you've not brought an A class yet, but once you do, then you'll be far to snobby to talk to the likes of us real motorhomers ??‍♂️???

Good luck, as it's a wonderful pass time, hobby and obsession ?
Thanks PP Bear, good sound advice. On the subject of tyres will they likely to have flats on them and need replacing?
It's a Pilote G740, and if I buy then I will certainly be back speaking to you and asking questions as a newbie !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks PP Bear, good sound advice. On the subject of tyres will they likely to have flats on them and need replacing?
It's a Pilote G740, and if I buy then I will certainly be back speaking to you and asking questions as a newbie !!
They shouldn't have flat spots, as that's usually caused by locking up the wheels and the tyres wear as a result. Can't happen on ABS braking, as this takes care of wheeling locking up.

If it's been sat in the sunshine static for over a year and hasn't moved, then there could be side wall deterioration and possible cracking.

If it were me, I'd visit them and go look around the van before speaking to any salesman. Take photos with your phone of the whole vehicle and the tyre details and look at the bottom, where they sit on the tarmac, as it'll be here that it'll show.

They may well be fine, but it's best to check for peace of mind and no one wants to be on tyres that aren't perfect.

IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Thanks PP Bear, I'll ensure I check the tyres as a priority. Thanks also for the pic, I'll print off and take with us. The vehicle has a solar panel so hopefully the battery should be ok, but this can be easily checked. I think considering the situation I should have some leverage for things that need to be done. Thanks again for advice.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It's not unusual for any MoHo to built up to 18 months prior to being sold unfortunately. Only way to get a 'new' one is to order a new one and wait for it to be built.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
It's not unusual for any MoHo to built up to 18 months prior to being sold unfortunately. Only way to get a 'new' one is to order a new one and wait for it to be built.
Yes probably true Stealaway, I have to say looking around there are quite a few unregistered 2019 models on dealers sites. Just wanted satisfy myself that I would spot any issues by picking everyone's brains !

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Get the dealer to weigh it. They are usually heavier than advertised with a smaller payload than given in the brochure. That solar panel will already have taken a chunk out of the available payload.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Get the dealer to weigh it. They are usually heavier than advertised with a smaller payload than given in the brochure. That solar panel will already have taken a chunk out of the available payload.
Yes had planned to do that. There is no awning but would like to add one, but will ask them to weigh it prior to finally deciding.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Ask to look at the Certificate of conformity that they should all come with. The build date should be on that not when the van was built or when the wheels/tyres were fitted
Good point. What else should this show, also other than warranty what other documents should I ensure I see?
Other than manuals of course

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
If the vehicle is unregistered then it is New and the warranty runs for the same period for any new vehicle, including both vehicle and the MoHo its self. If it is a Fiat 2 years is standard you can get extended warranty a further 3 years (up to 5 years). This only starts when the vehicle is first register. You can do this via the dealer
Thanks Coolcats,
If the vehicle is unregistered then it is New and the warranty runs for the same period for any new vehicle, including both vehicle and the MoHo its self. If it is a Fiat 2 years is standard you can get extended warranty a further 3 years (up to 5 years). This only starts when the vehicle is first register. You can do this via the dealer
Thanks Coolcats, have taken note.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Hi and here's my two penneth worth , We bought a new Pilote A class for collection on the 3rd March this year, one or two little jobs needed doing nothing drastic a fog light with water in it and a sidelight with a similar problem, We had one night away in it and there was a problem with the leisure battery discharging, contacted the dealership ( Signature Motorhomes in Preston) and they changed the battery on our return, It was a faulty battery it happened on our previous motorhome as well, The minor jobs were listed for doing and were subject to the parts coming from France and then lockdown. Not the end of the world as we like everyone else cannot use the van but the dealership has kept in contact with updates as to when they can do the work and a vehicle provided for the time the van would be in the workshop. Not a lot I can do about it other than praise the customer service, compared to our previous van the problems are insignificant and the customer service exceptional , we had never heard of them but a neighbour who bought a van off them sang their praises and so far I will do so . Not disappointed with the van just frustrated we cannot use it and so far it seems to be of an excellent build . Like others have said it may be upto 18 months old before you but it but you still get the five year warranty on build and two years on the Fiat base which you can extend and the dealership even pointed us in the direction of a commercial Fiat truck dealer who does the servicing at very reasonable rates but the hand book says every two years so I can't see any issues there. As someone else pointed out look at the tyres ours were six months old so we can roughly work out when it was built . I think that you might negotiate 10% off the screen price, Dealers work on between 10 - 15% profit so there will be room for negotiation, Good luck and see you on the Pilote owners website Oh and the payload as standard was 650Kgs on a 3500kgs chasis and the dealers are upgrading it to 3850kgs at no cost to us and cheaper road tax ( if we ever get to use it!)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi and here's my two penneth worth , We bought a new Pilote A class for collection on the 3rd March this year, one or two little jobs needed doing nothing drastic a fog light with water in it and a sidelight with a similar problem, We had one night away in it and there was a problem with the leisure battery discharging, contacted the dealership ( Signature Motorhomes in Preston) and they changed the battery on our return, It was a faulty battery it happened on our previous motorhome as well, The minor jobs were listed for doing and were subject to the parts coming from France and then lockdown. Not the end of the world as we like everyone else cannot use the van but the dealership has kept in contact with updates as to when they can do the work and a vehicle provided for the time the van would be in the workshop. Not a lot I can do about it other than praise the customer service, compared to our previous van the problems are insignificant and the customer service exceptional , we had never heard of them but a neighbour who bought a van off them sang their praises and so far I will do so . Not disappointed with the van just frustrated we cannot use it and so far it seems to be of an excellent build . Like others have said it may be upto 18 months old before you but it but you still get the five year warranty on build and two years on the Fiat base which you can extend and the dealership even pointed us in the direction of a commercial Fiat truck dealer who does the servicing at very reasonable rates but the hand book says every two years so I can't see any issues there. As someone else pointed out look at the tyres ours were six months old so we can roughly work out when it was built . I think that you might negotiate 10% off the screen price, Dealers work on between 10 - 15% profit so there will be room for negotiation, Good luck and see you on the Pilote owners website Oh and the payload as standard was 650Kgs on a 3500kgs chasis and the dealers are upgrading it to 3850kgs at no cost to us and cheaper road tax ( if we ever get to use it!)
Thanks AC/DC for your reply. It seems although the difficulties we are experiencing are not what anyone wants your sealer seems to be doing their best to look after you. We have heard very mixed reports for various dealers, it seems Signature are well thought of.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
The salesman are two brothers and even give you their home phone number and a promise you can ring 24/7 if any problems. We did it for the battery it died on a Sunday night and they had it all sorted by Monday afternoon , great service and a really good team behind them, always friendly and they know your name. Hard to find but worth a visit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
The salesman are two brothers and even give you their home phone number and a promise you can ring 24/7 if any problems. We did it for the battery it died on a Sunday night and they had it all sorted by Monday afternoon , great service and a really good team behind them, always friendly and they know your name. Hard to find but worth a visit
I'll check them out on line, sounds like worth a visit once they are open again.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
And I have no interest in the business whatever, by the way they are also the top UK dealer for Mastercraft speed boats, only take enough funds for your m/home! I was sorely tempted by some of the boats in the storage facility, you would not believe the spec and price of some, made Concords look like a poor second place, tried my best to get one included but no luck!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
And I have no interest in the business whatever, by the way they are also the top UK dealer for Mastercraft speed boats, only take enough funds for your m/home! I was sorely tempted by some of the boats in the storage facility, you would not believe the spec and price of some, made Concords look like a poor second place, tried my best to get one included but no luck!
I'll either keep my hands in my pockets, or take my better half!!!

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
:welcomesign:To the forum and enjoy your new lifestyle when you are able.
My present van that I have had for about 10 months is a Pilote 600l, very glitzy but not a patch on the build quality of my previous Hymers.
Not the reason for this post though, it came without an awning and I am happy with that as they eat alot into your payload, 45 kgs I have seen mentioned. The van has a channel to enable a caravan type awning to be fitted should I wish but I have no desire for that either, not a weight issue simply the fact that I am never pitched up long enough to need an awning.
If this is your first van I would seriously consider if you will need one although you have little choice if buying new as most vans seem to come so equipped.
Just my thoughts and we all use our vans in different ways.
PS, Did I say that I would never ever buy anything from Campbells of Preston :mad:

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Same here and we live about two miles from them! Never seen so many vans so poorly presented, dirty and damaged As regards the awning, be bought a parasol and a base you fill with water total weight (empty) about 11 kgs and more use than an awning as you can move it round, don't have to peg or or work out which side some of the site wardens want you face and it splits into two and lies flat in the garage and only cost £45 all in and can be used at home in the garden

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Same here and we live about two miles from them! Never seen so many vans so poorly presented, dirty and damaged As regards the awning, be bought a parasol and a base you fill with water total weight (empty) about 11 kgs and more use than an awning as you can move it round, don't have to peg or or work out which side some of the site wardens want you face and it splits into two and lies flat in the garage and only cost £45 all in and can be used at home in the garden
AC/DC good idea, could choose the colour as well !

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ask to look at the Certificate of conformity that they should all come with. The build date should be on that not when the van was built or when the wheels/tyres were fitted
There will be 2 or 3 C of C, the base vehicle, an Al-Ko one if it has an Al-Ko chassis and the converters one. So you can see how long its been standing about at each stage.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2019
Stratford upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis 504
Exp
Since 2001
Morning all,
We have been looking for a MH for nearly a year, loads of research online, exhibition (NEC in Oct 19 and Feb 20) and dealer visits etc. Although we had decided on a layout (twin beds) and type (A class) obviously our search came to a stop in late March. I have been watching a particular model that is at a dealers some distance from us and so by the time the lockdown came we hadn't been to see it. It is a 2019 unregistered model, when this lockdown is over we plan to visit.
My question is; I am concerned that it has been sitting at the dealers since last year, other than a full habitation check (which I will ask for) what mechanical problems should I be vary of? Plus anything else I should keep in mind?

Morning, my first advice is to be careful who you choose to buy it from, there are some very bad dealers around, even the ones who advertise they are the biggest and best, so watch out. You cannot always trust the reports either.
Secondly the type and layout is a very individual matter, and one does not really find out what is best for yourself before you have tried them out.
Good luck and welcome to this fantastic way of life.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Morning, my first advice is to be careful who you choose to buy it from, there are some very bad dealers around, even the ones who advertise they are the biggest and best, so watch out. You cannot always trust the reports either.
Secondly the type and layout is a very individual matter, and one does not really find out what is best for yourself before you have tried them out.
Good luck and welcome to this fantastic way of life.
Thanks Machbuster. We have tried to keep to dealers who have been recommended by other buyers, however that is of course is a risk. You will never know until you experience it, no magic globe unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back