Checking for leaks (1 Viewer)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
For folks who haven't seen this done ....

We had the seals around the slideouts replaced under warranty at the Monaco factory service center in Harrisburg, Oregon. Before sending us on our way, they leak tested all the seals. To do this, they rolled a large frame with numerous water jets so that it stood over the slideouts. They hooked up a water hose, turned on the water, and let it spray water for some time. They have a different setup to check for windshield leaks.

Not very scientific, but works as a simple leak test.

Attachments

• leak_test1.jpg
    leak_test1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 64
  • leak_test2.jpg
    leak_test2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 64
  • leak_test3.jpg
    leak_test3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
On the subject of leaks, do you check the caulk around skylights and roof fixtures regularly? The entire roof of our prior motorhome delaminated, partly because of a design issue and partly because I wasn't conscientious about inspecting caulk and seams looking for potential leaks. I didn't realize what had happened until it was too late. So now I'm paranoid about leaks.

Here's a simple re-sealing project on a skylight. I noticed that the caulk was cracking, so I removed it (the caulk), cleaned up the remaining mess, and resealed it with a self-levelling caulk. Not shown in the photo is Eternabond tape that I added as belt and suspenders. Practically speaking, I didn't need both, and either one would do the job.

Attachments

• cracked caulk.JPG
    cracked caulk.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Cleaned up.JPG
    Cleaned up.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 59
  • new caulk.JPG
    new caulk.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 31

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
What a great thread.

Thanks for posting it:thumb:

Good way of gettting a free wash:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
LOL John, I'd think you get all the free washes you need in South Wales; Just leave the coach out in the rain.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Some very usefull posts Tom keep em coming
However due to health and safety issues I must ask you to double check on the American and English terminology, I have just fallen of my chair picturing you in French frilly knickers and suspenders re calking your roof, as you well know we use belts and braces:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

that I added as belt and suspenders.
Geo

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Geo,

"Belt and braces" is also used here, but sometimes "suspenders" is substituted. I've never worn braces or suspenders.

As for checking English vs Amlish, I gave up years ago. Having worked for American companies, both in the UK and in the US, for over 30 years, I was used to switching spelling and terminology. But eventually, it all merges into one.

Reminds me of my wife's first visit here, when I warned her about the different meaning of some words. To this day she carries an "eraser" in her purse, afraid she'll inadvertently ask someone if she can borrow a rubber. Here, that would be like asking someone if you could borrow their condom.

Not long after starting work here, a co-worker commented to my wife "you don't wear pants to work". Chris was aghast and kept insisting that she did wear pants. Then the penny dropped - here, pants = trousers.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hey Geo you've been dying to post that piccy of Pammy for ages now.

Steamed my glasses up:winky::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
The best one I encountered was when I took a couple of American friends shopping in a supermarket over here.

Trawling through the frozen food section they suddenly burst out into fits of uncontrollable laughter having found a box of "Mr Brains faggots in gravy" :roflmto:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
LOL Lindy, people give me strange looks when I talk about faggots and peas. I cringe when we meet Brits arriving at San Francisco airport and the first thing they say is "I'm dying for a fag".

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I know how they feel Tom :ROFLMAO:

Steve.....just for you! :roflmto:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Lindy,

Did you just run out to the supermarket to take that photo?

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Back in the days when ladies wore such things, "a ladder in my tights" had to be translated to "a run in my pantyhose".

During a business presentation by one of our UK salespeople, he wanted to use the term "stock in trade" (sounds like "stocking trade"), and he spontaneously decided to Americanise it to "pantyhose trade". I was the only one in the room who had a clue what he was talking about.

To keep this on topic, maybe I should refer to a leak in my stockings?

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
To keep this on topic, maybe I should refer to a leak in my stockings?

Best use the Dicor non-sag for that one Tom, the self levelling stuff will run down your leg :ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
OK you two comics :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tom it's Linda BTW not Lindy:winky::thumb:

Carry on now please:winky::thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I don't mind Lindy....its sort of a nickname at home anyway as in Lindy-C's RV parts emporuim:roflmto:

Since Papa Smurf dubbed me the 5th Spice Girl its looking like I'm in for another ID change to Cotswold Spice :roflmto:

Here we go........off topic again - Sorry Tom :Blush:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Best use the Dicor non-sag for that one

ROFTL. I missed that message on prior reading. I'll have to remember that the next time my wife dresses me up as a Spice Girl. 3 couples dressed for Halloween and singing "Tell me what you want, what you really, really want". I can still taste the wig in mouth and remember the sweat from the tights. No way will I ever wear those things again. But we won first prize :thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Stick with the suspenders Tom.....stockings are far less sweaty :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You GOTTA post a pic of that one!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
As we are on americanisams, we lived on Romney Marsh where the ground is drained by channels called locally Dyke's. I am sure you can see this one coming.
My brothers daughter, Laura, lived most of her life in the USA and while on a visit to our home my son went for a walk and was longer than we had thought, & Jean made the comment " I hope he hasn't fallen into a Dyke" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
You GOTTA post a pic of that one!

Only if you promise not to laugh.

The only pic I could readily find is this one that was posed for outside (dark) after the event. My wife had it sitting in a frame on her desk, so I scanned it. I'm one of the four in the middle, but I wont say which one.

Every time I hear that song, I have flashbacks.

What does this have to do with leaks? Oh yes, it was raining that night.

Attachments

• spice2.jpg
    spice2.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 17

RuthRv

Free Member
Jan 4, 2008
Funster No
attishoo

Lindy,

Did you just run out to the supermarket to take that photo?

Some very usefull posts Tom keep em coming
However due to health and safety issues I must ask you to double check on the American and English terminology, I have just fallen of my chair picturing you in French frilly knickers and suspenders re calking your roof, as you well know we use belts and braces:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

pammy you will get pneumonia, is that your gear for the vallentine's meet:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
ruth

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Ginger Spice

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Not laughing.........honest..........well maybe just a teeny bit :Blush:

Pink is certainly your colour........not sure about the ginger wig though - imagine walking into a pub in Wales wearing that lot :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Leaks? They'd be waving them about chasing you with 'em (leaks.....get it?) :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I'm not going to post any more photos if you're going to take the Micky out of me :cry:

I don't think I'd go near a pub or bar anywhere wearing that stuff. Every year I say "never again", but my wife always finds something ridiculous for me to wear. But it's not just me that she cons into this stuff; When she used to be entertainment chairman for one of our yacht/boat clubs, at one of the meetings she was in the Gents dressing a bunch of guys up. Next time I talked to her brother, I asked him why she didn't have a dolls house or doll & pram when she was growing up.

I got the "leek" Linda :thumb:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Just trying to keep "on topic"......its tough to do on this forum :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Just to show I don't always cross-dress (was that politically correct?), my wife had me dress as a cowboy and she dressed as a bar girl.

Check out the hat Tony :thumb: Actually, this one's an el cheapo. I keep my beaver fur western hat for special occasions.

Attachments

• cowpokes.jpg
    cowpokes.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back