Checking a van before buying help (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we have found a van that is a very very good price, too good to be true really. I have done a vehical registration check and it's not stolen and all checks out with no outstanding finance , is this all I need to do or are there other checks I need to do?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Well what do you make of this ?????

The campervan is already at the delivery company. The transport is free because i supposed to send the campervan to another buyer, then he told me that he doesn't have money to pay for it. He already paid the transport charges.
I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job ( I'm a surgeon ) so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my campervan over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the campervan to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
-Full name and delivery address.
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more informations about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the delivery process and the arrival time.
4. Once payment is made (bank transfer) eBay will start the delivery process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the campervan. After you receive the campervan you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to it. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment through eBay.
5. If you decide not to buy the campervan, then eBay will send it back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me your complete name and address so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.

what do I think?..first few lines enough.. wasting your time looking at nonsense like that, with its pidgin English?..surgeon my backside. Your just being drawn in by the price in the first place. all part of the find a mug tactics:censored:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
You can always tell if its a scam if : THE PRICE IS WAY TOO CHEAP! End of.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No harsh about it..the scammers aim to attract and feed of the gullible. Most sensible people would give up after reading a few lines...

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Two things,
If it looks too good to be true it probably isn't true,
buyer beware.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
No harsh about it..the scammers aim to attract and feed of the gullible. Most sensible people would give up after reading a few lines...

my first place researching vans was ebay.. my assessment of the worth of a van therefore was based on ebay prices.. many of which are adverts from less than scrupulous people.

Without a lot of research, people are unlikely to realise that the scammers are the wrong price as they see that as being a fair price based on other adverts.. what also seems to happen is that sellers that haven't the support of a network like fun use the prices they see online (ebay again) to base their own selling price on.. that means some genuine vans are advertised cheaper than their worth further muddying the waters for the new buyer.

I agree that the idea of the scam is to play on the 'bargain' element but it is unfair to suggest this is based on the greed of the buyer, it could just as well be naivety.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
my first place researching vans was ebay.. my assessment of the worth of a van therefore was based on ebay prices.. many of which are adverts from less than scrupulous people.

Without a lot of research, people are unlikely to realise that the scammers are the wrong price as they see that as being a fair price based on other adverts.. what also seems to happen is that sellers that haven't the support of a network like fun use the prices they see online (ebay again) to base their own selling price on.. that means some genuine vans are advertised cheaper than their worth further muddying the waters for the new buyer.

I agree that the idea of the scam is to play on the 'bargain' element but it is unfair to suggest this is based on the greed of the buyer, it could just as well be naivety.

Semamtics......anyway I never mentioned greed as agree its inappropriate in a way, but all feeds into the same problem..

Opted of all this over 25 years ago. I get the idea as to cost by looking on Link Removed , from there, having gotten an idea I go about finding a better deal. Up to now have never been disappointed...touch wood

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I think my friend you and I realise it's not quite that simple. People get carried away and exited about what is after all a purchase that means a lot.... Some may not even realise how expensive MHs can be.... It came as a shock to me when we first started looking ! Ended up spending twice as much as my expectations but they were founded on fancifulness in truth I hadn't a clue ..

Upvote 0

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
what do I think?..first few lines enough.. wasting your time looking at nonsense like that, with its pidgin English?..surgeon my backside. Your just being drawn in by the price in the first place. all part of the find a mug tactics:censored:

.surgeon my backside

Heameriods ? :D:D:D

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think my friend you and I realise it's not quite that simple. People get carried away and exited about what is after all a purchase that means a lot.... Some may not even realise how expensive MHs can be.... It came as a shock to me when we first started looking ! Ended up spending twice as much as my expectations but they were founded on fancifulness in truth I hadn't a clue ..

That's the dilemma..the not very experienced look at all the big shinny boxes on wheels and get carried away. Not really examining the practicality & reality of living with one. Issues like payload, parking, running costs, is the warranty worth the paper its written on, support, what will it be worth a year down the road IF we change our minds, want to move on to something else etc..etc....

You see them at shows bless em, running round like headless chickens..blinded by it all. Buy in haste repent at leisure is a good motto....

Eddie

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Did the photos of the vehicle by any chance contain a contact email address.
I have noticed a lot of vehicles on Gumtree that are scams and follow the same format. The vehicle is greatly under priced and usually the only means of contact is via email. I enquired about a van a few weeks ago and got a similar reply to the one you got including the fact that the previous intended buyer had already paid for delivery costs and the seller was also a doctor.
Gumtree is totally littered with scams, I reported 5 to them yesterday. They don't seem to be putting much effort into filtering them out as a lot of scam ads are being posted back on Gumtree quite soon after they have been removed.
It was yesterday I saw it and there were a few vans listed but very low prices and I genuinely thought it was a typo error on gumtrees part. As the saying goes " if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is "

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
[QUOTE="Diane1969,4. Once payment is made (bank transfer) eBay will start the delivery process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the campervan.

I am sure that you know it is a scam by now, the quote above says all I need to know.

PLEASE, PLEASE, Do not be tempted with this scam.[/QUOTE]
I only posted the email they had sent as I was very certain by that point it was a scam , I posted it to show how they were doing the scam. I absolutly have no intention of going there

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes it was obvious that they were not English due to very poor wording And also not a surgeon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
You can always tell if its a scam if : THE PRICE IS WAY TOO CHEAP! End of.
Perhaps a little harsh...... Some people are simply too trusting. Also as the OP points out very busy.
Its easy to say but not always quite easy to do... (y)
I have to say when she said her husband had an affair and had left her and their two children I did wonder if it was a revenge tactic as she also said it was his pride and joy which was why she wanted it in the settlement! So yes maybe gullible but I always new it was to good and would be a scam , but I still checked it out

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie

So glad you have said this as we were at the Lincoln motorhome show today and saw a van we liked at £42.000 sadly not in our budget but since coming home I have searched for it on line and have found two the same year one at £32 500 and one at £34 995 . So what is the realistic price ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
That have gone up so much, I had a 1989 swift kon tiki back in 2002 I sold it for £9 500 in 2003 and saw one a couple of weeks ago on eBay that was on for only a fraction less, can't quite remember how much but I was shocked

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So glad you have said this as we were at the Lincoln motorhome show today and saw a van we liked at £42.000 sadly not in our budget but since coming home I have searched for it on line and have found two the same year one at £32 500 and one at £34 995 . So what is the realistic price ?

Exactly. nd to disregard the cheapest because it 'must be a scam at that price' would potentially cost you 10k and leave a seller with a van they don't need.. probably to end up being traded in for peanuts and sold at next years show for 40k.

All of the other advice on here is spot on. Never buy until you have crawled under over and through, never buy without visiting home address, check vin etc but the price isn't a reliable sign of a con... If it was the consters would just put a higher price and scam more out of people

Upvote 0

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I think the most dangerous scams are the ones where things are advertised cheap - but not too cheap. The ones that are stupidly cheap just scream scam but if something is only 10-20% cheap then you might think they are priced for a quick sale. Still wise to be careful.

Oh, and for those saying that the poor english means he can't be a surgeon - my sister is a nurse and says a lot of the consultants dont have english as a first language and their written skills are appalling!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That have gone up so much, I had a 1989 swift kon tiki back in 2002 I sold it for £9 500 in 2003 and saw one a couple of weeks ago on eBay that was on for only a fraction less, can't quite remember how much but I was shocked
Secondhand MHs in the UK do seem to go for premium prices, it is as if the depreciation seen on cars doesn't exist for MHs. If you are feeling adventurous you could buy one from say Germany and import it. There are many on here who can advise you how to do it and you would almost certainly get more MH for your money.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad you weren't caught out, many have been and even through "reputable" dealers.

If buying second hand you can always ask a Funster to go along with you as a second opinion never hurts and a genuine seller won't mind you bringing a friend.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think the most dangerous scams are the ones where things are advertised cheap - but not too cheap. The ones that are stupidly cheap just scream scam but if something is only 10-20% cheap then you might think they are priced for a quick sale. Still wise to be careful.

Oh, and for those saying that the poor english means he can't be a surgeon - my sister is a nurse and says a lot of the consultants dont have english as a first language and their written skills are appalling!
I can't believe how many of these scams are on ebay and gumtree , now I know what to look for I would say at least 5 a day are listed, it's really put me off trying to get a private sale,so think we will stick with a dealer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Secondhand MHs in the UK do seem to go for premium prices, it is as if the depreciation seen on cars doesn't exist for MHs. If you are feeling adventurous you could buy one from say Germany and import it. There are many on here who can advise you how to do it and you would almost certainly get more MH for your money.
I really don't have the time to buy abroad so it's out of the question sadly

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

Deleted User
I can't believe how many of these scams are on ebay and gumtree , now I know what to look for I would say at least 5 a day are listed, it's really put me off trying to get a private sale,so think we will stick with a dealer
I have found Gumtree to be littered with scams. They do remove the adds when you report them but the scammers post them back on again soon after.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I really don't have the time to buy abroad so it's out of the question sadly

We are thinking about going to one of the big German shows to look round. Treat it as a working holiday :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have found Gumtree to be littered with scams. They do remove the adds when you report them but the scammers post them back on again soon after.
Yes I've noticed that , I've reported one on eBay as I had a van in my watch list that only ended 3 weeks ago and was listed at a low price from a different location , trouble is it took 24 hours for them to remove it and then it was back on the next day, I wonder how many people they got hooked before it was removed

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Friend of mine bought a 2007 Compass in 2011 for £26750. Sold it at end of June for a clear £30k.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back