Check your Cadac operating spindle is secure (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We bought a Cadac safari chef 2 for Homestead Caravans, Weeley Essex a while back, when we bought our first motorhome. Late last year I had a problem with it as the spindle to operate it and turn the gas on/off came apart from the gas valve. I thought it was just a grub screw so thought i would just get a screw that fits from 'somewhere' ... Last week i contacted Cadac spares who told me they have a two year guarantee for faults, but the screw probably came loose and fell out when transporting the Cadac and that they needed a receipt just to consider repairing/replacing. I got the distinct impression that they were suggesting it wasnt a fault that caused the screw and spring to fall out, it was caused by transporting it around .... I did suggest that the Cadac was designed to be carried around in Caravans and Motorhomes, boots of cars, trailers etc. and the screw (with a small spring) shouldnt fall out ever, never mind in less than 2 years. The spindle came out during use and the whole thing was engulfed in flame, thankfully i was able to turn the gas off at the cylinder. If it had been a High Pressure version, with cannister attached i may have had a bigger problem.

NO chance of me having the receipt but i checked through my card statement on line and found a couple of potential 'purchases'. I then contacted Homestead, gave them the potential dates and they very kindly went through their system (took the lady about 45 minutes) and identified the actual date of purchase and sent an email confirming as such with all the details.

So a big thumbs up for Homestead Caravans for their brilliant after sales service !!!

Now I am waiting for Cadac to 'decide if the grub screw and spring that operates the gas valve should be in secure enough that it doesnt fall out when being transported.

Ps the whole new gas valve assembly is only about £15, so not a major issue, the major issue to me is that the screw and spring shouldnt be able to become loose and fall out just because its being transported around !!!

PPs - we love our cadac{s} - yes we have more than one ! They are so versatile and suit our way of cooking though i know other people would disagree !

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Cadac have just offered 'as a goodwill gesture' a complete new valve !!! looks like they dont want to admit there may have been a fault in case it comes back and burns them on the bum !

i just need to complete the paperwork, serial number etc

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Cadac have just offered 'as a goodwill gesture' a complete new valve !!! looks like they dont want to admit there may have been a fault in case it comes back and burns them on the bum !

i just need to complete the paperwork, serial number etc

Well, that nearly worked out well !!!

after sending the receipt and serial number, Cadac UK now tell me that they havent had any problems with that batch number, so they have decided NOT to supply me with a new valve. Cadac UK also said that according to the serial number it was made in 2015 (i bought it brand new in 2018!)

My response was, just because no-one has reported a problem it doesnt mean there isnt one. Perhaps if it happened to other people, they simply bought a new valve. I also suggested that basing a guarantee on the date of manufacture would mean that if a Cadac sat on a shelf for two years then would that mean there would be no guarantee at all.

i finished by asking them for details of which person i should name in in the small claims court as i intended to pursue this matter further and asked that they consider my email as Notice of Pre Action, giving them an opportunity to resolve the matter before formal action was taken.

i received an email this morning, where they state the valve will now be replaced by them, free of charge as a gesture of goodwill and it will be delivered tomorrow.

I would have been happy to recommend Cadac Uk for their after sales care and action, but as they are only honouring the 2 year guarantee but are not actually admitting it, that wont be happening, which is a shame as we love using their products.

So, to repeat the initial message, make sure your operating spindle is secure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
The spindle came out during use and the whole thing was engulfed in flame, thankfully i was able to turn the gas off at the cylinder. If it had been a High Pressure version, with cannister attached i may have had a bigger problem.
In 2016 we had the exact same problem with our Cadac Safari Chef. The experience scared us so much we never used it again and took it to the landfill. We wrote to Cadac and made them aware of what had happened and described what we thought were weaknesses in the design but we never had a reply. I seem to remember that I read some reviews online that mentioned similar problems, so I suspect that Cadac are well aware of the faulty design.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Well, that nearly worked out well !!!

after sending the receipt and serial number, Cadac UK now tell me that they havent had any problems with that batch number, so they have decided NOT to supply me with a new valve. Cadac UK also said that according to the serial number it was made in 2015 (i bought it brand new in 2018!)

My response was, just because no-one has reported a problem it doesnt mean there isnt one. Perhaps if it happened to other people, they simply bought a new valve. I also suggested that basing a guarantee on the date of manufacture would mean that if a Cadac sat on a shelf for two years then would that mean there would be no guarantee at all.

i finished by asking them for details of which person i should name in in the small claims court as i intended to pursue this matter further and asked that they consider my email as Notice of Pre Action, giving them an opportunity to resolve the matter before formal action was taken.

i received an email this morning, where they state the valve will now be replaced by them, free of charge as a gesture of goodwill and it will be delivered tomorrow.

I would have been happy to recommend Cadac Uk for their after sales care and action, but as they are only honouring the 2 year guarantee but are not actually admitting it, that wont be happening, which is a shame as we love using their products.

So, to repeat the initial message, make sure your operating spindle is secure.
Love it when the consumer comes out on top. Well done you for digging your heels in when others may have given up. (y)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Ours recently refused had a problem where the spindle seized up totally. It’s so old that they don’t do the valve any more so I took it apart and gave it some WD40 . After a couple of days soaking it in seized and now works better than it has done for ages .

Deleted User
I had the same problem last summer, tried to fix it, and yep, nearly blew myself up, there was that much gas leak. Sent it off to Lancashire, came back within a week, no charge. Great service. However in Spain this winter tried to use the cardac several times, either burnt the food as in 2 settings hot and very hot. Then knocked the whole thing off the table twice and 4 ruined dinners. So sold it on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
. I seem to remember that I read some reviews online that mentioned similar problems, so I suspect that Cadac are well aware of the faulty design.
Fiat didn't acknowledge the design fault on reverse judder for a long time, blaming everything but the ships cat.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Old thread I know but our operating spindle came away in my hand wen I tried to turn it on last night. In France first week of our break and our non hook up means of cooking outside.
It is however about 6/7 years old but with a new grill plate. Has anyone got Amazon to deliver to a campsite in France and do we need to order on Amazon Fr ?
Near St Tropez at the moment.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
In previous posts about Cadacs I have warned of the dangers of these flimsy so-called barbecues.
Ours collapsed and could easily have set fire to the van had we not acted quickly.
Cadac are not interested in responding to any complaints.
Lethal contraptions, in my opinion, and not particularly useful as an outdoor grill plate.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Old thread I know but our operating spindle came away in my hand wen I tried to turn it on last night. In France first week of our break and our non hook up means of cooking outside.
It is however about 6/7 years old but with a new grill plate. Has anyone got Amazon to deliver to a campsite in France and do we need to order on Amazon Fr ?
Near St Tropez at the moment.
Have you tried any french motorhome or camping shops?

Broken Link Removed

Try leboncoin ?

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Thanks MisterB ,not tried anywhere yet as it is bank holiday weekend would need to use motorhome for transport, we can manage for a bit and will look for somewhere en route, have looked at Narbonne camping they seem to have a fair number of stores. My French is abysmal and not able to navigate the leboncoin site, will have a google later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back