Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Whilst i've been extremely busy on nightshift :Blush::Blush::Blush:

I have managed to find the time to look at youtube for anything interesting relating to RV's as i am looking to buy one.

There was one item regarding tyre checks, a young lady was talking about side wall damage, showing a 2 year old tyre with very good tread and low milage she demonstrated how to check the side walls.

Using talcum powder poured some into hand and smeared it around the wall of the tyre all the small cracks in the tyres showed up, some were quite deep and not easily noticed until the powder was put on.

Reckoned it was caused by being standing in the sun for a while.

Seemed like a good tip to me.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
With a motorhome the mileage is very often not important as it is usually very low when compared to commercial vehicles.

Strong sunlight may well cause damage but the age of the tyre is very important. Even with a "new" motorhome the base vehicle and its tyres may have been hanging around for many months

Look on the tyre wall to get the age of the tyre. If it's more than 5 or 6 years old then they need changing whatever they look like.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Another good way to show up sidewall cracking is to use a powwerful LED torch and shine it across the tyre at a shallow angle, it highlights lots of cracking.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi all,been reading this thread, some great helpful tips, a tip from us, is when you dont use your MH and stands with out use for long prriods,jack it up on all 4 we use axle stands, allso black bin liners on each wheel this helps to prevent flat spots,ie no weight on tyres and side wall cracking, advice given to me many years ago by an aircraft engineer,we get much more life out of tyre's all the best Alf & a Happy christmas to All:Smile::Smile:

OP
OP
PaulyP
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Hi all,been reading this thread, some great helpful tips, a tip from us, is when you dont use your MH and stands with out use for long prriods,jack it up on all 4 we use axle stands, allso black bin liners on each wheel this helps to prevent flat spots,ie no weight on tyres and side wall cracking, advice given to me many years ago by an aircraft engineer,we get much more life out of tyre's all the best Alf & a Happy christmas to All:Smile::Smile:

4 ton and 3 axles gonna take some lifting, think i would rather just give it a run out every week.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Fiat say

The advise from Fiat is, if your vehicle is going to be stood for long periods, add 0.5 bar to the recommended pressure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back