Check list logic for new MH (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi all, we are still trying to work out which MH model(s) to consider. To try and conclude this I have tried to understand the logic (not much success there) of our requirement, see below. I would like members using their far superior experience and knowledge to mine to double check and comment please:
Budget: Up to £50k, but would like it to be closer to £40k.
MH type: Coach built or A class as I dislike the cramped feeling of a PVA.
Manufacturer: Probably not Auto Trail (unfortunately as I like their van designs) following all the negatives on this forum. Although I do really like their bathroom layout with separate shower. So probably a Swift or Bailey
Berths: Although there will be only the two of us 90% of the time, a six berth (see layout below). This gives us the option of separate relatively large beds and still have a sitting area ( whilst leaving the beds made up when on site if we wish).
Layout: 1/2 dinette (with swivelling cab seats to make up the front dinette/seating area). The two cab seats gives us extra comfort when using this dinette section. Rear u shaped lounge, to make up for a bed, but also giving the option for a large lounge area should we wish. Drop down bed over the dinette, completing the sleeping arrangements. The drop down bed here means a more pleasing and aerodynamic design outside over the cab, (I.e.a lo-line) possibly with a roof light.
Bathroom: obviously toilet and basin, but shower that is separate either within the bathroom or completely separate.
Weight and size: As I have a c1 a heavier model is fine. I would like at least a 600kg payload. The length must be no more than 7.8m to fit comfortably on my drive.
Outside: would like storage, not for bikes as I don’t use them, but fold up seats and bbq etc. An awning would be good.
Cab: ideally with sat nav, reversing cameras and air con. The first two I know could be retro-fitted.
Colour: inside and out I don’t care

Although I mention “I” a lot above, of course I mean “we”, or maybe the “I” is actually the wife commenting as I’m secondary in the decision making department.
Anyway all comments (good and bad) would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Just a thought that if like me you prefer wild camping a larger motorhome may not be ideal, as mine is 6.8m and it's often a struggle to find parking spots and access the more remote places off the beaten track... Though I think you'll be surprised by the pull of the open road and the adventures to be had. Good luck =",'=
Yes would certainly consider wildcamping as appealing. However we see a coach built 7m as a minimum. Do you consider a van suitable for winter use a must

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
You could check out a few nearly new Bailey’s and Autotrails at Simon Howards Motorhomes in Taunton, they are reputable dealers and only a mile and half away from the only place you need to fit an alarm or LPG refillable gaslow, at Vanbitz. You get a stay at Cornish Farm campsite if buy from either???
Perhaps Taunton is a bit too far for us, certainly if we need to return the MH for work. Although we like the autotrail we have discounted this manufacturer because of its poor performance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Perhaps Taunton is a bit too far for us, certainly if we need to return the MH for work. Although we like the autotrail we have discounted this manufacturer because of its poor performance.
We’re in Yorkshire and we’ve just bought one from there, they seem really good people to deal with, I know what you are saying about the Autotrails but I’ll stick my neck out and say the older ones are better built than the brand new ones, also I’ll bet there are far more good ones than bad, but it’s YOUR money so be sure you buy the right van for you. I have a Brit van with no faults or damp? That said I’m buying an Adria A class??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
We’re in Yorkshire and we’ve just bought one from there, they seem really good people to deal with, I know what you are saying about the Autotrails but I’ll stick my neck out and say the older ones are better built than the brand new ones, also I’ll bet there are far more good ones than bad, but it’s YOUR money so be sure you buy the right van for you. I have a Brit van with no faults or damp? That said I’m buying an Adria A class??
Maybe still consider Simon Howard, if there is a mh that interests us. Regarding the autotrail, yes probably are more good ones than bad, however as there are other alternatives out there I would sooner not risk making a mistake.

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We are considering an electric drop down bed, along with a rear lounge that can be made up or not (as and when required). Have looked at a couple of Chausson's but only at this point online. Which model do you have and what makes it best solution for you.

We have the 510 . Before this number the same configuration was “best of 10”.
and since then the same basic configuration are the 530 and the newest 520 (why???)
the 530 and 520 have a boot and wardrobe above, that stretches right across the back. Like the 610.

For us the length was critical as our drive is a just over 6mtrs.

Secoundly the fact you can leave all your bedding , 2 sheets , 1 duvet and 2 pillows in our case, and the ladder to getup tothe bed at night on the bed when you put it up to the roof is just right for us. We knew from hiring a van that making up a bed each night felt a real pain.

There is of course no U shaped lounge in the back. We do have a sitting area at the front that is the same area as the drop down bed.so can easily sit 6 adults around the large table, as the frint seats swivel. The bench behind the druvers seat suts 2 easily unlike some. So when sitting in the van one of us sits longways on the resting their head on the back of the drivers seat, if not swivelled, and the other person utilisers the L sahped continetal type seating behind the passengers seat .

the large table that is the base for the 2 other beds that are made up with the lounge seats , under the drop down bed, is really useful for our art materials , and playing games on.

fridge is a very tall one with a freezer, opposite the 1 metre long kitchen work surface, housing the 3 ring gass stove and sink, no cooker.

storage is more than enough for us.. being a fird we have a large shelf above the cab, plus a large sky light.
lockers under seats, kerps tools, chairs, barbi ramps and other odd and sods.
easily hold all, food, bottles pots pans etc in kitchen area storage.

The bathroom at the rear has a slidingdoor. Which makes getting in and out easy if someone is in the kitchen area. We can shower and change in it.
2 large shelved cupboards keeps all bedding and clothes for the two of us.
other cupboards keeps bathroom stuff and makeup stuff etc tidy.

the shower works really well. Keep the spare tyre in it , on duck boards, and dogs bag and box of shoes and drinking water bottles Rear window and skylight keeps it dry with door shut.

the boot, i.e the bottom half of ski locker, has had a shelf put in, carry a spare gas cylinder, tools , jump leads walking sticks , ehu lead toilet chemicals , and overspill of water bottles and the shopping after a big shop.

being 6 mtr we can park virtually anywhere .

so in a nutshell whats good for us is length, made up bed 24/7. Large bathroom with seperste shower, storage is more than adequate for us, and large area to streach out in , in the lounge. More room than many fixed rear bed vans we have been in. Compromise is probably smallish kitchen area but as table so near it’s used , and no garage under that bed . And its a budget build .woukd be tight on space if more than two people for any length of time. We have taken grandchildren with us and they love it if course.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
We have the 510 . Before this number the same configuration was “best of 10”.
and since then the same basic configuration are the 530 and the newest 520 (why???)
the 530 and 520 have a boot and wardrobe above, that stretches right across the back. Like the 610.

For us the length was critical as our drive is a just over 6mtrs.

Secoundly the fact you can leave all your bedding , 2 sheets , 1 duvet and 2 pillows in our case, and the ladder to getup tothe bed at night on the bed when you put it up to the roof is just right for us. We knew from hiring a van that making up a bed each night felt a real pain.

There is of course no U shaped lounge in the back. We do have a sitting area at the front that is the same area as the drop down bed.so can easily sit 6 adults around the large table, as the frint seats swivel. The bench behind the druvers seat suts 2 easily unlike some. So when sitting in the van one of us sits longways on the resting their head on the back of the drivers seat, if not swivelled, and the other person utilisers the L sahped continetal type seating behind the passengers seat .

the large table that is the base for the 2 other beds that are made up with the lounge seats , under the drop down bed, is really useful for our art materials , and playing games on.

fridge is a very tall one with a freezer, opposite the 1 metre long kitchen work surface, housing the 3 ring gass stove and sink, no cooker.

storage is more than enough for us.. being a fird we have a large shelf above the cab, plus a large sky light.
lockers under seats, kerps tools, chairs, barbi ramps and other odd and sods.
easily hold all, food, bottles pots pans etc in kitchen area storage.

The bathroom at the rear has a slidingdoor. Which makes getting in and out easy if someone is in the kitchen area. We can shower and change in it.
2 large shelved cupboards keeps all bedding and clothes for the two of us.
other cupboards keeps bathroom stuff and makeup stuff etc tidy.

the shower works really well. Keep the spare tyre in it , on duck boards, and dogs bag and box of shoes and drinking water bottles Rear window and skylight keeps it dry with door shut.

the boot, i.e the bottom half of ski locker, has had a shelf put in, carry a spare gas cylinder, tools , jump leads walking sticks , ehu lead toilet chemicals , and overspill of water bottles and the shopping after a big shop.

being 6 mtr we can park virtually anywhere .

so in a nutshell whats good for us is length, made up bed 24/7. Large bathroom with seperste shower, storage is more than adequate for us, and large area to streach out in , in the lounge. More room than many fixed rear bed vans we have been in. Compromise is probably smallish kitchen area but as table so near it’s used , and no garage under that bed . And its a budget build .woukd be tight on space if more than two people for any length of time. We have taken grandchildren with us and they love it if course.
I have checked out your 510 online and understand how you came to your decision. Our problem is that we keep changing our minds and to our layout. However this has been somewhat a voyage (of discovery?) and so a learning curve. Although I don't want to rent a MH it may come down to that to enable us to finalise our thinking. Although we have room for 8m on our drive I want to limit the chosen length to 7m, but still quite keen on a rear lounge with a full or 1/2 dinette and drop down bed. This will probably lead us to a 6 berth. Been looking at the Bailey's but probably an Alliance rather than an Autograph. Still may change our minds yet again, who knows.......

Upvote 0

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I have checked out your 510 online and understand how you came to your decision. Our problem is that we keep changing our minds and to our layout. However this has been somewhat a voyage (of discovery?) and so a learning curve. Although I don't want to rent a MH it may come down to that to enable us to finalise our thinking. Although we have room for 8m on our drive I want to limit the chosen length to 7m, but still quite keen on a rear lounge with a full or 1/2 dinette and drop down bed. This will probably lead us to a 6 berth. Been looking at the Bailey's but probably an Alliance rather than an Autograph. Still may change our minds yet again, who knows.......

What ever you decide it will involve some compromises, and we find we have learnt to fit in with the van .

However the big thing is, pack, get in , drive, arrive, and enjoy.

Good luck with your search.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
What ever you decide it will involve some compromises, and we find we have learnt to fit in with the van .

However the big thing is, pack, get in , drive, arrive, and enjoy.

Good luck with your search.
Thanks AXO66. ?

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
You could check out a few nearly new Bailey’s and Autotrails at Simon Howards Motorhomes in Taunton, they are reputable dealers and only a mile and half away from the only place you need to fit an alarm or LPG refillable gaslow, at Vanbitz. You get a stay at Cornish Farm campsite if buy from either???
Thanks Westy, we do have a really positive reputation which is something I am very proud to say. We also have 4 Peugeot dealers in our group so we are the only Bailey dealer in the uk that can boast we can do everything in house. There are 2 local dealers who also sell bailey who have to use Howard’s for warranty work lol.
The whole point of motor homing is to travel so I would rather go to a good dealer that’s a mile away from Vanbitz and get two nights on us to show you how it all works properly. We hold your hand and our average handover time is 5 hours! But then there is a lot to show you!

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
We are considering an electric drop down bed, along with a rear lounge that can be made up or not (as and when required). Have looked at a couple of Chausson's but only at this point online. Which model do you have and what makes it best solution for you.
Bailey 816?

Upvote 0
May 24, 2016
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016 - this time
Thanks Westy, we do have a really positive reputation which is something I am very proud to say. We also have 4 Peugeot dealers in our group so we are the only Bailey dealer in the uk that can boast we can do everything in house. There are 2 local dealers who also sell bailey who have to use Howard’s for warranty work lol.
The whole point of motor homing is to travel so I would rather go to a good dealer that’s a mile away from Vanbitz and get two nights on us to show you how it all works properly. We hold your hand and our average handover time is 5 hours! But then there is a lot to show you!

I am going to be upgrading in the new year & was looking at the Bailey Autograph 75-4 but then I saw the 74-4 ❤ .... Might see you next year. ?

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I am going to be upgrading in the new year & was looking at the Bailey Autograph 75-4 but then I saw the 74-4 ❤ .... Might see you next year. ?
That’s what I said to him, but they offered me a great deal NOW so I couldn’t turn it down!!? BTW you will love the Alde heating in the autograph if you get one, I think that’s one thing I will really miss when I change vans??

Upvote 0

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
The other thing to consider is that, if you mostly travel in the rest of Europe --- and who wouldn't --- then the weather is generally better and you spend your days outdoors. In fact we find this even here in Scotland. This means cooking and sleeping are the only real priorities.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
The other thing to consider is that, if you mostly travel in the rest of Europe --- and who wouldn't --- then the weather is generally better and you spend your days outdoors. In fact we find this even here in Scotland. This means cooking and sleeping are the only real priorities.
Bathroom not a priority ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Depends on how many hours a day you spend in there, will you use on site facilities when on site? Someone once told me a good comfy sleep in the Moho is THE most important thing?
Probably true, however if wildcamping some facilities are required !!

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
There is lots of good advise given on here which is really helpful,
just thought I would add my experience when helping our daughter make a first MH purchase
Once you have decided on you make and model, look for that very van, 18 months 2 year old at a dealer,
Ask if the dealer will give you the telephone number of the previous owner,
(Most will not due to data protection, or they do not want you making enquiries with the previous owners ,
ask yourself why wouldn't they)
alternatively ask the dealer to ring the previous owner, give them your tel number, and ask them to please ring you.
I went with my daughter last year looking for a first MH, when we got no joy with contacting the previous owners via dealers we walked away,
after 2-3 weeks mooching around the dealers,
we were given details of the previous owner of a van we were interested in, and when we spoke to them they were very forthcoming in answering our questions, and assured us there were only one or two small issues that would need sorting (which they had told the dealer about)
they even told us what they had been given as a part ex allowance, putting us in a good position to negotiate a deal,
the dealer agreed to sort the issues with the van, as we told him he had been made aware of them,
the MH was purchased and has been very satisfactory,
(Strangely this is a dealer who 2 weeks previously would not help us to speak to any previous owners)
But you must be prepared to walk away if there is a reluctance to allow you to speak to the previous owner,
If the van is well maintained and serviced, with no serious issues, why would the dealer be reluctant for you to confirm the facts with someone who had recently owned that vehicle,
Be firm and polite, but not a pushover,
Good Hunting.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I have bought several used motorhomes from BCA in Nottingham and never bought a bad one. All you need is a good quality damp meter and some mechanical knowledge and you can save a fortune against the forecourt prices.

e.g. Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
There is lots of good advise given on here which is really helpful,
just thought I would add my experience when helping our daughter make a first MH purchase
Once you have decided on you make and model, look for that very van, 18 months 2 year old at a dealer,
Ask if the dealer will give you the telephone number of the previous owner,
(Most will not due to data protection, or they do not want you making enquiries with the previous owners ,
ask yourself why wouldn't they)
alternatively ask the dealer to ring the previous owner, give them your tel number, and ask them to please ring you.
I went with my daughter last year looking for a first MH, when we got no joy with contacting the previous owners via dealers we walked away,
after 2-3 weeks mooching around the dealers,
we were given details of the previous owner of a van we were interested in, and when we spoke to them they were very forthcoming in answering our questions, and assured us there were only one or two small issues that would need sorting (which they had told the dealer about)
they even told us what they had been given as a part ex allowance, putting us in a good position to negotiate a deal,
the dealer agreed to sort the issues with the van, as we told him he had been made aware of them,
the MH was purchased and has been very satisfactory,
(Strangely this is a dealer who 2 weeks previously would not help us to speak to any previous owners)
But you must be prepared to walk away if there is a reluctance to allow you to speak to the previous owner,
If the van is well maintained and serviced, with no serious issues, why would the dealer be reluctant for you to confirm the facts with someone who had recently owned that vehicle,
Be firm and polite, but not a pushover,
Good Hunting.
Lol, have you not heard of GDPR?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back