Check engine light Arto (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
just had this light up on my 3 litre arto, fiat base. Anyone any ideas.
Driving is going slow

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Suggest you need a code reader plugged into the obd socket to check which fault is lodged in the engine ecu. It may be one that can be reset, but do make a note of what code it is for future. The ecu has a "limp" mode to protect engine but allow you to continue slowly under certain faut conditions.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Could be a number of things going from trivial to terminal..... As above it's best to get it diagnosed if you don't have a code reader yourself I'd get it checked out somewhere for peace of mind
Code readers are fairly cheap on ebay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Thanks for replies, luckily it was trivial, a short lead from turbo to engine, apparently had been chewed apart, 6 euros, labour and findinding fault much much more, but could have been worse. AA directed us to a garage to have it done. Drove ourselves there otherwise would have been in 4 figures.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Almost certainly trivial. I have had two 3 litre Iveco engines and the 'check engine' warning light - which is amber, is shall we say a constant feature. Usually I believe related to emissions.

We have been travelling in the US for the last 6 months mostly with this light on (it will go off for a while and then come back). To be honest, I have learnt to ignore it and point it out at service time. They put the checker on and can find no problem.

OP
OP
tinkerbell
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
They did give us the torn part back. Could not ignore when have no acceleration and going about 40-50 mph. Had to do something. Now sorted.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Almost certainly trivial. I have had two 3 litre Iveco engines and the 'check engine' warning light - which is amber, is shall we say a constant feature. Usually I believe related to emissions.

We have been travelling in the US for the last 6 months mostly with this light on (it will go off for a while and then come back). To be honest, I have learnt to ignore it and point it out at service time. They put the checker on and can find no problem.
Had the same, and also did the same...
It cost us around a €1000 when the underlying problem showed itself, and that was a combination of fuel pump failing which led to high preassure fuel pump dying...

On a hair pin bend up in the dolomites last year!!

All the error codes showed egr related problems until the hp pump went then had a whole mass of them

Fiat professional garage belived the EGR ones were related, but didnt say how that could have been construed for a pump starting to go.

May 9, 2011
Cheshire / Vale De Parra
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
Same happened to me on Wednesday, amber engine warning light, ( 3ltr fiat ) as as I pulled into castets camping. Fiat assist contacted, recovery arrived within the hour, reset fault, so I could drive the next day, on starting engine light reappeared, no loss of power or limp mode. 400 miles later amber light still on, hopefully find a Fiat Garage soon.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Glad you got it sorted quickly and at little cost too - that's a rarity!

Just a tip, been posted before but worth repeating for Fiat engines if you don't have a code reader handy. Sometimes the yellow warning light comes on for something quite trivial and as an isolated occurrence. With the vehicle safely parked up, switch the engine completely off and leave for 10 secs. Restart, giving it just enough revs to get the charging system working (though it's nothing to do with the charging, just ensures all electrics are on line). After 10 secs switch it off again. Repeat for 5 times and you may well find the light does not come back on - sorted.

However if it does come back on, it's time to do a proper check. Happened to me a couple of times over the years and I know others have had the same experience.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Same happened to me on Wednesday, amber engine warning light, ( 3ltr fiat ) as as I pulled into castets camping. Fiat assist contacted, recovery arrived within the hour, reset fault, so I could drive the next day, on starting engine light reappeared, no loss of power or limp mode. 400 miles later amber light still on, hopefully find a Fiat Garage soon.

That sounds familiar

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-actuator-control-bank-1.159279/#post-2475373

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Mine has been off and on over the 6 months. Mostly on. Some of it I put down to slight difference in the diesel mix here with some bio diesel. Never had limp home mode in this one but did on previous vehicle however engine off and on again and all good

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back