Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi . As a new owner of a brand new Kalkoff e bike I am wondering what I have got myself into . The few times I have cycled on it I have had several loud comments " That's cheating ! " from pedestrians as well as other bikers . Will this go on since it is a bit annoying to say the least . To be honest I may have muttered the same under my breath pushing my old bike up a killer hill when a couple of octogenarians have zoomed past on their e bike . I do feel like I am cheating and unfaithful looking at my trusty old Trek bike . The poor bike has to to be left behind after several years of taking me on most of the Voie Verts in France and in Germany the Danube, Rhein and Moselle, Saar and many more great paths . I was quite upset when husband promised to sell my bike to a good friend .....I had to put my foot down and even with a chance of upsetting my friend I told him NO....NOT YET . So. The old bike will be left behind and I tell you ....this flipping German contraption will have to be absolutely amazing for me to get rid of my dear old bike if and when my Plantar Fasciitis gets better .

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I think it was the University of Utrect .
They said that anyone with an e-bike does more exersise than people with non e-bikes.
The reason being that they use them more and the exersise is more gentle.
You wont have the problem if you use it over here as it seems everyone here as one.
Nice bike by the way .
Enjoy it they are probably wishing they had one.

Mel

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ignore them!...they are talking rubbish...most knocker's are the first to jump in a car or on a bus rather then cycle:rolleyes:

your choice of a quality center drive bike means you will cycle a hell of a lot more. The kind of mountain bikes I ride are very popular in Germany with the younger crowd...so no stigma there I can assure you..or indeed anywhere in Europe:coffee:

saying that, in over 6 years e cycling have only had it shouted at me twice? and that in jest and good humour:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There's a guy in the next village who boasts the virtues of the Green Party to the extent of not owning any kind of motor vehicle.
Then he thumbs a lift :doh:

They are among us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
There's a guy in the next village who boasts the virtues of the Green Party to the extent of not owning any kind of motor vehicle.

They are among us
Yes, and he dosent brew up, wash and shower in warm water, nor eat a hot meal.............

OP
OP
Cobweb

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just an update on my new Kalkhof E bike . Having now cycled 1000.50 Km on it in Germany and France I have got to confess that I love it ! It has totally changed my cycling experience and now I love scooting up a hill leaving husband behind .....as a piddling little dot on my wing mirror . Husband says that he is happy to get so much more exercise but I have noticed that HE now prefers less hilly terrain . Just a few weeks ago we were on the Voie Vert from Cluny heading for a surprisingly hilly section near the tunnel and as I zoomed up the hill there was a school party on the top of the hill applauding me ! I must say I did feel a bit of a cheat at the time . It is not a free ride by any means since you still have to work hard at times but by being able to go further I think that I still get the same amount of exercise and maybe more than before on my old Trek bike . We now look forward to doing some more cycling here on the Yorkshire Moors which is something I would not have attempted before .

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I was watching a video on FB yesterday showing the Copenhagen Wheel which is a replacement wheel for the rear, it fits on your push bike with a wifi connection (I think) to an iphone mounted on the handlebars to select the terrain you are on seems a good idea. Pete

Ps they are pedal assisted no throttle

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We came back from France with an electric bike each, we have now done more miles on bikes in a week than we have done in twenty years , I have now clocked up 28 miles and probably done a quarter of that without the assistance so can't be less healthy or we wouldn't have done it at all(y):)

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
so YOUR being accused of cheating eh ? just imagine how chris froome feels ! at least youve not had a cup of piss thrown in your face i hope !!!

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
They are only jealous or ignorant about how they work and get you out more.
They are excellent and a god send where I live in the Peak District.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's great that you're enjoying your cycling now with your new bike.
Cheating? That implies some sort of competition ..... Just who is losing out to your "unfair advantage"?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

They are among us

don't come much greener then car sharing...

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There's a member on here who refers to my Kalkhoff as a "Spacca Bike" mind he's maybe not having a go at the bike, but me (n)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
They are just jealous, some people hate the fact that someone else has got something they want but can't afford.
I remember being shouted at in a similar fashion when I fitted one of those new fangled electric starter motors to my Land Rover.......

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Its not cheating as the Kalkhoff is a Pedelec and you still have to pedal to get up the hills. Its the twist and go crowd who don't exert any effort on inclines.

I have never seen any one puffing on an electric assist bike so must be very easy up hills...not really exercise .....BUSBY.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
'Scuse me .....
I thought bikes were a means of transport, the requirement to use them as an instrument of masochistic torture is for yuppies? :whistle: No? ;):whistle::sneaky::)o_O

[NOTE: smileys to denote tongue-in-cheek not nasty comment]

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
'Scuse me .....
I thought bikes were a means of transport, the requirement to use them as an instrument of masochistic torture is for yuppies? :whistle: No? ;):whistle::sneaky::)o_O

[NOTE: smileys to denote tongue-in-cheek not nasty comment]
Way out of fashion. to be a real hipster, you need a unicycle......... and of course dine in a cafe that sells only porridge

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have 2 Giant pedal assist bikes which we love-but,on last trip I (Mike) left mine at home and took a No-Logo urban fixie in black and gold with deep section rims (y) Not only was I able to do any hills Carolyn could do on her Giant,but the bike was centre of attention with loads of French guys :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I have never seen any one puffing on an electric assist bike so must be very easy up hills...not really exercise .....BUSBY.

Come here and you'll see me puffing on an electric assist bike getting up the hills....... wouldn't even consider walking up them never mind cycling if it wasn't for the assist.

We've often been asked about the e-bikes and have been told once or twice it was cheating but I don't care :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back