Cheapest 2 & 8 Day test anyone? (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
you will need a PCR test 72hr before you travel to UK
Actually no!
An antigen test is permitted, doesn’t have to be a PCR, any time in the 3 days prior to the day of the deparure. ( which in effect gives you 4 days!)

……quoting from the gov website,

1. “Take a COVID-19 test in the country you’re in. (To board your transport to England, you need proof of a negative result from a test taken in the 3 days before the service departs.)
You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you can take the test on or after Tuesday and will need to have the negative result available before boarding on Friday.”

……..I’m travelling on a santander to U.K. ferry on a Monday 1700 departure in July, and the antigen test will be taken here in Portugal on the Friday. This falls within the rules. 👍

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just back from a week in Spain visiting first grandchild.
Spanish PCR test at hospital in Teulada. Quick - easy.
Using Boots the Chemists for uk 2 & 8 day test ( ordered & received kits before leaving Uk)
Not cheap but needed 5 day Test to Release (yesterday )in store, so handy locally.
( be aware that Boots use Royal Mail for your at-home days 2 & 8 tests - if weekend involved they do not deliver to labs on Sundays - so may involve extra 24 hrs before results received)
Otherwise very efficient - not as cheap as others mentioned, but no complaints at all.
Track & Trace seem pretty active - we arrived home 1.45am - chap at front door at 10.am checking on just one of us. Phone calls to both of us later the same day and daily call each every day since.
I hope you mean antigen test @€40?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Actually no!
An antigen test is permitted, doesn’t have to be a PCR, any time in the 3 days prior to the day of the deparure. ( which in effect gives you 4 days!)

……quoting from the gov website,

1. “Take a COVID-19 test in the country you’re in. (To board your transport to England, you need proof of a negative result from a test taken in the 3 days before the service departs.)
You must take the test in the 3 days before the service on which you will arrive in England departs.

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you can take the test on or after Tuesday and will need to have the negative result available before boarding on Friday.”

……..I’m travelling on a santander to U.K. ferry on a Monday 1700 departure in July, and the antigen test will be taken here in Portugal on the Friday. This falls within the rules. 👍

Hi Two points,
last time I went to school 72 hours was three days, as the gov site says.
The test for Covid can be either BUT try proving you took an antigen test in Portugal to travel from Spain, to UK
The Gov site you quote does say proof !
The control of this come,s from the carrier, so as I have already said,
we all have stories of the customs/boarder control who looked the other way at the right moment.
There is no third party proof with this test.
Thats why everybody (UK) flying out of Faro had to take an antigen test before they entered the airport "third party proof"
The Amber region I left only offered PCR, so excuse me for relating my experience But as you eloquently point out the rules are the same.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
John, you will need a PCR test 72hr before you travel to UK via Brittany ferries, you will need to fill in your locater form with the obvious and
the code you will be sent, from the people you have booked your day 2 and day 8 test, Those are the rules but as we all know it depends on the day whether the port authorities can be bothered to ask, but if you test Positive on your PCR you cant travel, if you haven't got the code for your day 2 and day 8 test they can refuse boarding,
as for phoning you when your home, thats random, But worst case, My college flew home under above rules, on day 9 he was told he had to do two more test, (his cost) and isolate for another 14 days, as some on the same plane tested positive. Make sure you sleep in your own cabin !!!!
Thanks Andy but not ready to come back yet so just keeping an eye on it. The way its going will almost certainly come back through the tunnel as lower risk, although Spain and Portugal are currently looking safer than Uk, IMO none of its really an issue traveling by mh but my name isnt Bojo.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
As long as it falls within the 3day or 72 hour period. You can't take a test at 9am Friday and use it to leave at 5pm Monday
Yes you can😎
Its 3 days BEFORE the day of departure. ( as per the example given on the gov website, ) travelling on a Friday, test can be done on the preceding Tuesday. 👍 Same example as traveling on a monday, and test on preceding Friday !

Its badly worded, but that’s what it says. 3 days before, not 72 hours.……here’s a screenshot of the gov.U.K. Page!

C8D1D7A4-EFC5-4F0A-9E26-828EC885244A.png

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
The test for Covid can be either BUT try proving you took an antigen test in Portugal to travel from Spain, to UK
The Gov site you quote does say proof !
The proof will be the document issued by the official testing lab here in Portugal, as proof of a negative antigen test, which is what is required. That’s the country I’m in and travelling from, although the ferry goes from spain. It makes no distinction where you have the test.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No it isn't. It is "3 days before the service on which you will arrive,departs."
And 3 days is 72 hours.
Worked back from that time. It is same for pet passport "5 days" it says but it isn't ,It is 120 hours to the minute.
Its 3 days BEFORE the day of departure. ( as per the example given on the gov website, ) travelli

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
No it isn't. It is "3 days before the service on which you will arrive,departs."
And 3 days is 72 hours.
Worked back from that time. It is same for pet passport "5 days" it says but it isn't ,It is 120 hours to the minute.
That's the way I understood it as well, I'm sure I saw 72 hours mentioned during the procedure

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
And 3 days is 72 hours.
We will have to agree to disagree🤣
People are saying 72 hours, the website doesn’t mention hours! It clearly states in the 3 DAYS BEFORE the the service departs.

How can it be, when there example specifically quotes, and I quote….

For example, if you travel directly to England on Friday, you can take the test on or after Tuesday and will need to have the negative result available before boarding on Friday.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
And 3 days is 72 hours.
hi gus , just having a quick look at the thread and what you are saying about the timescale would bear out what has just happened to my sister travelling from Norway to uk..
they took their test on Friday at some point..cant quote exact times.. but felt that was as late as they could leave them and still be sure of having results in time...
they went to catch a flight from gardermoen on Monday morning again not sure of exact time but were told their test was two hours out of date....

they were obliged to take further tests at a cost equivalent to £250 pounds each or couldn't travel on their booked flight...

I know rules is rules but someone is taking the piss and making a fair bit money off the back of all this...
im afraid im in the camp thats getting a bit sick of the restrictions and regulations and can't wait till we can get on with life as we choose or don't as the case may be...
rant over(y):LOL:
Andy

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Interesting account. I honestly think that the rules are so badly worded as to be open to interpretation either way!
Taking it into account, and not relying on the minimum wage paper checkers at immigration, I think I’ll try to get my test on the Saturday instead!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Interesting account. I honestly think that the rules are so badly worded as to be open to interpretation either way!
Taking it into account, and not relying on the minimum wage paper checkers at immigration, I think I’ll try to get my test on the Saturday instead!
Well Brenda didn't see that coming and thought they would be ok..

The other thing they have to do is to isolate and test now they are here..
If she had gone along with the offer of tests online it would have cost them a furthur £600 each for their 3 tests here..
Thats another £1200 for the two of them..
I think they managed to find a supplier of test kits and get the price down to about £175 each..
Turned out to be an expensive few weeks for them but it's been a long time since she has been able to get over to see mum..
Many folk just wouldn't be able to afford all that on top of the normal travel cost..
Andy..

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So in a nutshell, to come to Uk from any number of statistically safer countries in Europe, you have to go through rigorous testing, unless you're either a politician, a politician s hanger on or something to do with football?

Jan 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV Motorhome
Exp
Since 2017
Can I ask if you have used them? they are certainly cheap but when i clicked on the link i had a Fakespot warning message.

Also the website is lacking in detail especially contact addresses. Then I googled them and found this feedback on Trustpilot

I think that they may be a scam
Bought tests and received them 2days later, very quick.

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
So, I had a test to release booked for Today. Then realised the day we arrived was Day Zero.

The Testing Chemist had also requested a copy of the Travel Ticket. Whilst I could probably assume that they don't even know you can get a ferry to/from Spain. Or the fact that if you look at the ticket, first glance would tell you we departed Santander on the Wednesday, and arrived in the UK a couple of hours later. I ain't taking no risks at £95 a pop.

So, rescheduled for tomorrow. Thats a days work lost for tomorrow.........

Aug 12, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Van conversion.
Exp
Agree. We left Rotterdam at 20:00, arrived Hull at 07:30 but day zero. I suppose not as bad as arriving at 0:30, but not as good as arriving at 23:30.

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
This is the cheapest I can find atm
<Broken link removed>

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Long as it gets you in, you're quarantining anyway, if it all goes thrupennies up you do a reclaim . What's not to like? Win-win:laughing:
Sadly not so, if you’re relying on the results to end quarantine and they don’t arrive in time, you can’t end quarantine even after ten days!

Trjust me, I know, am in quarantine right now ( day 5 to release tomorrow!) and I’ve been called every day So far, and during the call they remind you of this, every time! 🤷‍♂️

Fortunately I used a company with very good reviews and they’ve been spot on and very timely👍😎

( Better2know if anyone’s interested 😉)

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
Sadly not so, if you’re relying on the results to end quarantine and they don’t arrive in time, you can’t end quarantine even after ten days!

Trjust me, I know, am in quarantine right now ( day 5 to release tomorrow!) and I’ve been called every day So far, and during the call they remind you of this, every time! 🤷‍♂️

Fortunately I used a company with very good reviews and they’ve been spot on and very timely👍😎

What was the cost with the one you used. I have read that if the tests and results don’t arrive you can then organise an nhs test and then release if negative. Not sure on whether this is true or not. It annoys me though that these providers are on the approved government list and they can offer shoddy service.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Too right. I realise that its a grudge purchase but there's a bit too much focus on cheap. Unless your time has no value to you then you need it to actually work. I'm only just starting day 6 and already climbing the walls - hoping that my day 5 test goes OK.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not interested , results don't arrive day 10 I'm off. + a reclaim
** then again I'm hardly likely to be doing it as my wife refuses point blank to spend one penny on anything the fat one initiates. Doble jabbed , euro certificate, nhs app with jabs shown , so no It's all for the money & i'm not playing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back