Cheap on-line pet products/medicines (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our dog Romy was limping so hubby took her to the vet shortly before our last holiday and she was diagnosed an arthritic left rear knee and prescribed Metacam, it cost £30 for the consultation plus another £30 for the 32ml bottle of Metacam. When hubby got home I read up about it on the internet and realised that the 32ml bottle would only last for an absolute maximum of 3 weeks and our holiday was over 5 weeks! Hubby therefore rang the vets and the receptionist said that we definitely needed a larger bottle and didn't know why such a small one had been prescribed; hubby also asked about a repeat prescription for it too so we could get another bottle somewhere else and the receptionist said she's sort that out for us too. When he went to change the bottle he got the larger 100ml one and the prescription without having to pay any more fortunately (prescriptions are £7.50).

I've just ordered a 100ml bottle from Animed Direct for £10.99 with free delivery which is the cheapest I could find and the company has good reviews - for a price comparison the 32ml bottle from the vet worked out at £23 ... from Animed Direct it would have been £4.50 plus £7.50 for the prescription making a grand total of £12.00 !!! The 100ml bottle has cost the equivalent of £10.99 plus £7.50 prescription so £18.49 - less than the small bottle from the vets! The vets insist on a 6 monthly check-up for pets on this medication so that'll be another £30 plus another £7.50 for a prescription ... Now, don't get me wrong, I know vets have to make a living and have large overheads, but that sort of mark-up on prescription medication is obscene, but unfortunately nothing unusual.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Being a vet is a licence to print money these days. They all aim to buy a farm and retire aged 50 at our expence. Gone are the days of treating within the value of the animal they bank on tugging at heart strings and expect everyone to have insurance.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If people start getting their medicines elsewhere, the vets will put up their other charges to compensate. Those who still get their meds from the vet will be paying even more :crying1:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I'm just going through the same scenario to get Alf's Trocoxil for his arthritis.
Cost at Vet for ONE tablet which lasts one month.: £40
Cost at Pet Drugs Online: £15.98 for TWO tablets plus prescription from vet @ £9.85.
Not a bad difference!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If people start getting their medicines elsewhere, the vets will put up their other charges to compensate. Those who still get their meds from the vet will be paying even more :crying1:
Or maybe they'll stop charging extortionate prices and 'price match' the web sellers, they'd still make a profit on the medicines AND keep their clients happy ... nah ... ain't gonna happen! :rolleyes:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we had to buy three different tablets for our Ginny's heart condition, we used to get the prescription from the vet and go straight online to Viovet - brilliant online supplier. So much cheaper, and the sales team go the extra mile, even when we phoned them on a couple of occasions at 4.30 to say we had run out of tablets, we always had them delivered the next day.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
A few years ago I had a Jack Russel which had arthritis, my osteopath told me to give him a daily dose of cod liver oil. After a couple of weeks you could see the difference in the dog, no more running on three legs. Its worth a try as cod liver oil is quite cheap

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Don't overdo the cod liver oil though ....

Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i agree, some vets are just in it for the money. my friend is somewhat different in that he sold his ferrari to spend the money on building a veterinary hospital. his philosophy is to keep the prices cheap so good healthcare is available to anyone with a pet. many of the drugs and things like flea treatments and wormers, he passes on his discount. the net result is that his practice / hospital is very busy every day
oh and he treats wildlife cases for free, often overseeing the junior vets doing any opperations. we used him whilst working in dog rescue and had the cheapest area for vet bills. the dogs never wanted for anything and the vets and nurses treated the rescue dogs with love and respect the same as if they were a cherished pet already.

anyway, as i say not all vets are in it only for an early retirement and loads of cash

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When we had to buy three different tablets for our Ginny's heart condition, we used to get the prescription from the vet and go straight online to Viovet - brilliant online supplier. So much cheaper, and the sales team go the extra mile, even when we phoned them on a couple of occasions at 4.30 to say we had run out of tablets, we always had them delivered the next day.

They are very good. (y)

The wife used to get her udder pills online, but she would rather go to the doctors these days, as she gets a wipe down with a wet cloth as well. :)

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
We are thinking of taking our dog to Spain via the Tunnel Jan - April next year 2015
I have no idea of what I have to do about Pet Passport ect,
Could some kind funster please give me a run down of the procedures, vets to visit before we go ,in France and costs involved, etc
Thanks
Chris

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If not already done, pet must have rabies injection (cost us £32) and be microchipped, extra cost.
30 days later blood test required (cost us £53)
If blood test OK pet can go abroad.

Rabies jab needs to be renewed every two years but no further blood test required.

Easiest way to travel with pet is Eurotunnel. Their system very slick. Cost of taking pet on ferry or tunnel Approx £30 (which goes directly to DEFRA).

Before returning you must visit vet and pet must be given worming tablets and physical examination before vet stamps passport, authorising travel. This must be done not less than 24 hours before travelling and not more than 5 days before. Costs vary enormously. Near Channel expect to pay about 50 to 55 euros. Near my home in Burgundy I pay less than 11 euros. The further away from the crossing point the less the cost seems to be a general rule.

On returning via tunnel follow signs for Pets (picture of a paw)' take pet into office together with Pet Passport suitably stamped and details of your booking. You will asked to scan your pet's microchip and then given a windscreen ticket to display.

If travelling by ferry same rules apply but you scan pet's microchip at book-in booths in Calais or where-ever.

Sounds complicated, but once you have done it once it is easy.

Suggest you check DEFRA web site which has excellent guidance.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Animed are brilliant and local to me, so even better. I use them regularly as I have two horses on medication for life. Mind you, some vets even over charge for the prescriptions....my horse vet charges £18 plus vat!!! Grrrrr

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
If not already done, pet must have rabies injection (cost us £32) and be microchipped, extra cost.

I got my Jack Russell a Pet Passport last year for a trip to Germany, he had the rabies injection, he was already microchipped. He did not need a blood test, this has been changed so dogs no longer require one.
The only issue is that upon return to the UK, a vet must administer a prescribed worming tablet no less than 24 hours and no more than 5 days before entry to the UK. So you will have to plan in a visit to a vet before returning to UK. I paid €17 for a tablet, quick check over from a German vet.
One point is to make sure the vet, time and date stamps the pet passport as I have read that people have been refused entry back to UK if no time has been entered on the PP.
I went via Eurotunnel and it was very easy and quick process.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If blood test OK pet can go abroad.

Blood test not required if you are only travelling in the EU

We've just had our second dog vaccinated and the vet wrote out the passport on the spot.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
my vet use to price match any internet price I quoted after checking it when my girl was with us:cry:.It was cheaper through him than with a prescription from him and buying myself he said he did not want to lose customers and would sooner make no profit on the drugs as we had been with them for years.
This was for a human medicine my dog was taking so had to be specially ordered they were excellent on prices as it was expensive stuff

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Blood test not required if you are only travelling in the EU

We've just had our second dog vaccinated and the vet wrote out the passport on the spot.
Changed since we last had to go through it.

All recent changes have been for the better and made things easier. It's also worth adding that, with tunnel crossings, the pet stays with you. On cross channel ferries they are left in the car by themselves.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back