Cheap Lithium set up , what else do I need ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you have a some devices that need a mains supply to charge them, then a separate battery and inverter is one solution. especially if the existing 12V system has limited capacity and is otherwise functioning perfectly well.

If you can charge by connecting the MH to mains hookup, then you could wire it in (semi)permanently, with terminal eyelets and an inline fuse for the charger wires.

Just in case you don't know this, at the back of most 4-way mains extensions are two keyhole-shaped holes. You can use two flat-head screws into a wall or cupboard, and hook the extension onto them. If you adjust the screw projection just right, the screws will hold the extension quite well. Not as good as proper fitted sockets, but good enough.

Another thing to consider is that a high-power inverter has quite a high no-load drain, and also can be very inefficient for low-power loads. It is best switched off unless it's in use. May be better to get a small 150W inverter for powering long-term low-power loads like iPad charger.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks autorouter . That’s pretty much how I plan to use it ,I think . For example we have a summer tour booked in the New Forest . Most of the time we will be on EHU but are going to do a night or maybe 2 at Roundhill campsite and maybe another non electric pitch for another night . I would use the mains lithium charger when on hook up to recharge the battery for the next night off grid . I take onboard the advice about the inverter draining the battery when not in use so I will probably have the inverter on only when needed and have another direct 12v usb charging system connected directly to the battery for most efficient way to charge the iPads etc . 👍🏻

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Out of interest what voltage is fully charged ?
It’s been on for a few hours now .
Does it stop at 14v?
View attachment 477545
Different lithium's have different max voltage but I would presume that the charger that came with it will get it right. Reading a review of the ultramax suggests that 14.6v is the max. The BMS should protect from overcharging. I think Raul has used these and he will know for sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Out of interest what voltage is fully charged ?
It’s been on for a few hours now .
Does it stop at 14v
The supplied charger is 14.6V 10A?
Did you buy the standard one or with bluetooth battery monitor

This reply doesn't directly answer your question.

New message from: cameraexperts1 Top Rated Seller(97,004PurpleShooting Star)

Hi

Thank you for your message

Please use a voltage of 14.4 volts

Kind regards​

Dear xxxxxxxxx

Hi

Thank you for your message

Please use a voltage of 14.4 volts

Kind regards

- cameraexperts1

Your previous message​
What voltage profile should i use for solar charging this battery? I have votronics mppt solar controller with lithium profile, but need to specify voltage choice is 13.9 14.2 14.4 14.6 14.8​

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Just want to check this is ok .
40mm2 cable and in-line mega fuse 150amp .
Will this work ok ?
4BD96566-8181-4A25-BD0D-82E66BA8829A.jpeg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I'd be tempted to add an isolator switch. Not really necessary, but you can't just pull the fuse like you can with blade or maxi fuses if you want to isolate the inverter.
I’ve actually got one 👍🏻. Will include it in the set up .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back