Cheap IBC Vs Heos water filler (1 Viewer)

Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice
Hello folks. I'm new to MoHo Fun and Moho full stop.
I've picked up a couple of tips from these threads so I thought I'd share some of my ideas to save a few £.
We have a Knaus with dedicated services compartment accessible from outside on the nearside of the van.
The first couple of times filling the water tank, I thought what an almighty p.i.a standing like a lemon holding the filling hose. So then I read about Heos filling adapter but couldn't make it work on our water filler due to the threaded lid.
Then I found an IBC threaded cap on Amazon for about £8 - it works result!!
My observation is that this will work for course threaded water filler caps and I think other continental vans might use these as well as Knaus.
Whilst I don't need to hold the hose, there's no "auto shut-off" so I still have to keep an eye on water levels or else the overflow will dump the the water.
Because the IBC filler cap is not sealable it has to be removed, because it sits on a vertical plane I cannot fill above the bottom of the filler neck, so my fresh water cannot be filled above about 90%, maybe I doing something wrong?
I'm adding some pictures, hopefully this might help others, the blue cap is the original and black is the IBC from Amazon with hose lock adapter (I added PTFE when I screwed the hose lock piece into the cap).

John

Attachments

• IMG_20211220_160512.jpg
    IMG_20211220_160512.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20211209_133711.jpg
    IMG_20211209_133711.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Screenshot_20211228-105523~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20211228-105523~2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 61

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi & welcome! :hi: Good to see alternative options - is this the correct link Amazon product ASIN B01HBPHLDK as could be useful for anyone considering this? Good tip about adding PTFE tape too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Always more than one way to skin cat. I never fill to overflow because it overflows onto the floor then dribbles down the overflow pipe. I use the thin sqirty hose from a £1 set. Drilled out of course. It sit in the filler a treat, so have to monitor it hands free.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I put a mini toilet fill valve on mine. It turns itself off when full (OK at 90%). If you want more than 90% (of 210 litres), you can bypass the valve, but you have to watch it carefully.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
At first I thought what's wrong with stuffing the hose down the filler neck and leaving it there like I do. Then I saw your photo, that is a terrible design for a Motorhome, any overfill will flood the van even with your adaptor when you take it off it will come gushing out.

Is there enough room to fold the hose down with the door closed? If so you so you could have a short length of hose with an inline tap and hose connector left permanently connected.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
At first I thought what's wrong with stuffing the hose down the filler neck and leaving it there like I do. Then I saw your photo, that is a terrible design for a Motorhome, any overfill will flood the van even with your adaptor when you take it off it will come gushing out.

Is there enough room to fold the hose down with the door closed? If so you so you could have a short length of hose with an inline tap and hose connector left permanently connected.

I too am of 'the stuff the hose down he filler neck', I tried one of those Heo things and it blew it, and the filler neck off their fixings, never again!

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Does the tank have a vent?

Even if it does, be careful. The Heos is designed to back vent any pressure. If you have a good supply it can blow your tank up without something letting the pressure out, don’t ask me how I know…….

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Yes, I thought it was a bad design.

Simone needs to use their K-Naus

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Because the IBC filler cap is not sealable it has to be removed, because it sits on a vertical plane I cannot fill above the bottom of the filler neck, so my fresh water cannot be filled above about 90%, maybe I doing something wrong?

I thought most caps had seals and a breather hole of some description?
Keep it simple and stick with the hose method, if it's good enough for Lenny HB , it's, usually good enough for anyone!
If these complicated new fangled bits do not work correctly, it can cause even greater problems and the last thing you want, especially in winter, is water splashing around inside your M/H?

OP
OP
C
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice

Actually the fw tank and overflow is external to the van and the compartment shown, inside the compartment is an open drain for spillages, with the door open creating a low point only a catastrophe would allow ingress up into the habitation.

Your idea of an in-line tap is something I'll look at, as you say not sure if the clearance with door closed will allow..

The biggest design issue I have is that the toilet cassette door is hinged forward and not in the rear, as the van is often nose heavy the door will naturally swing open and stop against the flue, so my big concern is the door being heated by flue gases while I remove the cassette. Having dealt with the contents of the cassette a few times now, a spillage here will not be welcomed.

OP
OP
C
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice
Yes, I thought it was a bad design.

Simone needs to use their K-Naus
You're right it could be better, I'm especially concerned by filling from a watering can or similar when off grid and no tap nearby. I need to fashion some type of 90 degree filler neck as the filler is inboard of the external bodywork.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The biggest design issue I have is that the toilet cassette door is hinged forward and not in the rear, as the van is often nose heavy the door will naturally swing open and stop against the flue, so my big concern is the door being heated by flue gases while I remove the cassette. Having dealt with the contents of the cassette a few times now, a spillage here will not be welcomed.
You could fit a tether or even better a small gas strut that only allows it to open 90°.

OP
OP
C
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice
I use a watering can, don't have to roll out/in, no standing about, the walk gives you some excerise , all round winner (y)
You've obviously not met the wife, she has zero tolerance for faff or maintenance, I have to do most things in secret, she's about the destination not the journey 🤔

OP
OP
C
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice
Does the tank have a vent?

Even if it does, be careful. The Heos is designed to back vent any pressure. If you have a good supply it can blow your tank up without something letting the pressure out, don’t ask me how I know…….
This is a really good point, I assume it's vented. However life has taught me never to assume. I'll check. Thanks.

OP
OP
C
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice
I put a mini toilet fill valve on mine. It turns itself off when full (OK at 90%). If you want more than 90% (of 210 litres), you can bypass the valve, but you have to watch it carefully.
Can you let me know a bit more, your idea is intriguing.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Can you let me know a bit more, your idea is intriguing.
Well, there's not much more to it. It's a self build, so I spec everything up to my way of working. The water inlet is a simple hoselock connector, which goes to the tank via a mini toilet valve. There's a bypass valve that just dumps it straight in the tank, too. With 200 litre capacity, most trips I can just connect it up to the hose before I leave and bring water home. With the fill valve, I don't need to monitor it whilst loading other stuff into the van.

There's no gravity feed. If I want to load from a container rather than a hose, I have a submersible transfer pump to dump in the water container.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
You're right it could be better, I'm especially concerned by filling from a watering can or similar when off grid and no tap nearby. I need to fashion some type of 90 degree filler neck as the filler is inboard of the external bodywork.
Might this sort of thing https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/classifieds/water-tank-filler-funnel.1506/ help? Sure Minxy might have tried similar DIY versions too that might help if she spots this - there are a lot of posts on here to do with filling water tanks!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I made my own filler for use with a container and also a way to secure the hosepipe easily:

OP
OP
C
Nov 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Newbie seeking advice
I made my own filler for use with a container and also a way to secure the hosepipe easily:

Thanks Minxy, that hook is probably a better fix than trying to over engineer it like me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back