Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Personally I don’t see the attraction of an over priced, un reliable, poorly built bike, that and I don’t like cruisers, so all in all it’s unlikely I will ever own a HD.

Having said all if that I had three Ducati’s, never had a complaint or breakdown, although we came pretty close with the ST4. They had a worse reputation and now look at them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Why would want to buy a Harley Davidson, Which are just a cheap copy of Indian a motorcycle without the history.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

That's unfair and also quite incorrect.

Harley-Davidson and Indian Motorcycles were both founded in the same year, 1901. The forerunner of Indian is 3 or 4 years older than that but only produced bicycles.

You could say that Harley have more history as they have been in business constantly since then whereas Indian went out of business in 1947. The current Indian range has no connection at all to the original company - Polaris simply bought the brand name.

That's the problem with Harley - from 1947 until 1998 when the first Victory bikes (another Polaris brand) went on sale Harley had no competition at all in the "American made" market. With nobody to keep them honest it became all about the brand and so the quality, which was never great anyway, went steadily downhill until the mid 80s when they almost folded. It's got better since then, all joking aside they're better now than they've ever been although they still have their issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Thanks a lot @NickNic. But my lawn is so small I can almost cut it with a pair of scissors.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
That's unfair and also quite incorrect.

Harley-Davidson and Indian Motorcycles were both founded in the same year, 1901. The forerunner of Indian is 3 or 4 years older than that but only produced bicycles.

You could say that Harley have more history as they have been in business constantly since then whereas Indian went out of business in 1947. The current Indian range has no connection at all to the original company - Polaris simply bought the brand name.

That's the problem with Harley - from 1947 until 1998 when the first Victory bikes (another Polaris brand) went on sale Harley had no competition at all in the "American made" market. With nobody to keep them honest it became all about the brand and so the quality, which was never great anyway, went steadily downhill until the mid 80s when they almost folded. It's got better since then, all joking aside they're better now than they've ever been although they still have their issues.
Indian actually went out of business in 1953, I know this as a friend has a 53 chief. Sorry had!! He flogged it a while ago. Harley Davidson started in 1903 also, as I was at the 100 year celebrations in Barcelona in 2003.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boringfrog
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I used to drool over these when they were advertised in Cycle and Cycle World (American mags from the 70's - 80's).

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
But hardly’s And Ducati’s don’t go in the rain do they:)
Are you having a laff?? I’ve lost count of the times I’ve got p*** wet thru going to Austria every year!! That’s one of the reasons the missus wanted a Moho!!
Every time one passed us in the rain We cud just make their smug little faces out thru the wet visor and glasses freezing our bits off:mad:(y)

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Are you having a laff?? I’ve lost count of the times I’ve got p*** wet thru going to Austria every year!! That’s one of the reasons the missus wanted a Moho!!
Every time one passed us in the rain We cud just make their smug little faces out thru the wet visor and glasses freezing our bits off:mad:(y)

Been there done that got the wet bits

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

I do ride in the rain, but out of choice. I designed my moho for the best of both worlds:
4.JPG

That said, it's definitely a Harley & Ducati free zone! (unless they were broken down) :)

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
But hardly’s And Ducati’s don’t go in the rain do they:)
Can’t offer an opinion on the Hardleys but my Ducati’s never failed in the rain, although I never rode the Panigale in the wet, that would have been nearly as stupid as me riding to work yesterday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back