pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just booked our ferry through caravan club website and if you go out on a sunday and back on a friday its £27 each way for motorhomes under 8m. The crossing is dover to dunkirk. We are due to go end of july and come back just under 2 weeks later. Thought that was good deal for £54 all in.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Sounds good. We have always gone with Direct Ferries, Dover/Calais, for £50 plus extra £25 for the dog. This is travelling at 11pm ish back and forwads (cheapest every time) but I have looked at the prices for May 2011 and it seems quite a lot more. I do wonder if this is because we are not further into the season and will check more in a month or 2 or 3.

Just checked and it is ££88 with P&O and more for the dog. Needless to say, I will bide my time and not book till March.

Ivy

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Thanks for that info, it's nice to read something positive about the Caravan Club on this site, I don't understand why but I detect a negative undertow toward the Caravan Club and CC members reading through recent threads that have been published.
I rejoined the CC this year having bought a MH after a 4 year break from travelling, formerly 20 years as a tugger and CC member. During that time I never experienced any situations where 'members' looked down on other caravanners outfits as recently referred to , OK I never joined any of the local 'chapters' but there again I never felt pressurised to and used the club for what I wanted, to find clean well maintained sites that I could pre book and be assured of spotlessly clean ablutions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hmm - I do wonder about the CC. I got insurance cheaper elsewhere and also ferry travel. However, we did get our new sites directory today and do like to stop at the CLs when travelling in the UK, but their sites, although pristine, are not necessarily the most economical. Depends what you are looking for.

Ivy

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We are not joining CC in 2011 as there sites are quite expensive, Cl's are not too bad though, and we now wild camp quite a bit.
We used to book our ferry through CC but you often get deal codes like we did last year and out ferry cost £52 return Dover to Dunkirk, end of june for 2 weeks, bargain price.
we have booked the tunnel this year using our Tesco vouchers, and only cost £32,50 vouchers equivalant to £133 + £30 for our dog Toby

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We are not joining CC in 2011 as there sites are quite expensive, Cl's are not too bad though, and we now wild camp quite a bit.
We used to book our ferry through CC but you often get deal codes like we did last year and out ferry cost £52 return Dover to Dunkirk, end of june for 2 weeks, bargain price.
we have booked the tunnel this year using our Tesco vouchers, and only cost £32,50 vouchers equivalant to £133 + £30 for our dog Toby

Although I sounded like I was defending the CC (and their members) which I was, I do agree their prices are expensive, they don't have facilities for kids, (hey! I'm a pensioner and don't need kids facilities) and I still think they are expensive. The other thing I'm not happy about is the fact that the smart ones can pre book for the whole year in advance and delete their requirements the week before, I can try to book a week somewhere and find the week is screwed up because someone has pre booked a friday and saturday, an annoyance but I still like the CC for its facilities and monthly magazine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Regarding the CC.... is it just me or does it seem that we have parted with a good deal more cash this year for stays on the same sites than previous years? We'll be rejoining but purely for the CL's.......although I have to say some of the owners of those are catching on. Check out in your handbook how many of those are now £15 / night with just hook up and a tap!!

Anyone got a nice little cottage with 3/4 acre they want to sell ?

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The best of it was that my wife rang the cc direct as we needed 2 spaces on the crossing (1 for us and 1 for my parents) and thought it would be easier and guaranteed to get 2 spaces at the same time rather than do one, then log out and log in again to do the other. The woman was most unhelpful quoting us £130 each way and when my wife explained about the offer she said there was no such thing and the reason of the high cost was because we had CHOSEN to travel at peak times!!!!!!! I therefore logged onto the cc website and purchased for us and my parents for £54 return. That'll teach em!!!!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back