cheap data connections (2 Viewers)

H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
i purchased an 02 sim for data only from o2 business

i get 250mb of data for 25£ per month,

i can connect up to the 3g network and stay online and never go over my allowance, it gives me all my internet access required and i can also vpn into my work network and do everything needed for there as well

i seem to get a 460k connection which seems quite good to me

how do you get on the web while on the road?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm on Orange with a 2o quid a month contract and a tiny download limit, I signed up for 18 months (yes 18:whatthe:) just before the £1 a day if you need it deal from (I forgot) But I do find the speed and coverage pretty good

OP
OP
H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I'm on Orange with a 2o quid a month contract and a tiny download limit, I signed up for 18 months (yes 18:whatthe:) just before the £1 a day if you need it deal from (I forgot) But I do find the speed and coverage pretty good

ah not good.....

i got the company to pay for mine!!! :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I have a T-Mobile Unlimited Data (fair use policy) business contract which includes free USB modem for sim card, a genuinely great gadget, for 29.99 a month. Fantastic speeds - much better than my Vodafone Data Card modem and much cheaper! Tried connecting via a PAYG T-mobile card for £1 a day, and an old phone but the speeds were nowhere near what the little modem widgy gives, and I haven't had dropped connections as I had with Vodafone.

Laurie

OP
OP
H

Hugh Jardon

Deleted User
I have a T-Mobile Unlimited Data (fair use policy) business contract which includes free USB modem for sim card, a genuinely great gadget, for 29.99 a month. Fantastic speeds - much better than my Vodafone Data Card modem and much cheaper! Tried connecting via a PAYG T-mobile card for £1 a day, and an old phone but the speeds were nowhere near what the little modem widgy gives, and I haven't had dropped connections as I had with Vodafone.

Laurie

what speeds are you getting? are you using 3G?

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
what speeds are you getting? are you using 3G?

Yes - the 3G /GPRS selection happens automatically with the software, and you don't drop connection if they swop between 3g and GPRS, which was the bane of my life with Vodafone. Plus this new T-mobile software is Mac and Windoze compat, which makes our lives easier, as one of us uses only Macs, the other slums it with Windoze!!

Speeds around slow broadband speeds - around 256kbps - 312kbps or thereabouts usually. Much much better than the Voda speeds or the speeds I was able to get with a phone as a modem.

Laurie

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
I am on Orange off peak data package , use after 7.00pm evenings and all weekends with unlimited downloads for the princely sum of £5.00 per month :Smile::roflmto::Smile: if i want to use it at other times theres a £1.50 maximum charge per day .

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
We've got two T-Mobile MDAs that are now off contract and not currently used. Would the T-Mobile PAYG card with its £1 a day data connection work on these?? Anyone know??

Laurie:Smile:

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
I am on Orange off peak data package , use after 7.00pm evenings and all weekends with unlimited downloads for the princely sum of £5.00 per month :Smile::roflmto::Smile: if i want to use it at other times theres a £1.50 maximum charge per day .

Mark

You are a very exciting man - we have never doubted that here on Motorhomefun. So now the challenge - is this new avatar just for us, or are you going to load it elsewhere?

Link Removed

Sharon

C.L.S

Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Sharon this avatar is strictly for this site :roflmto: can you imagine me trying to use it on another well known site :whatthe: It would last all of 2 minutes before being removed :roflmto::roflmto::Tongue:

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Yes I can, and I would like to watch!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Laurie

We've got two T-Mobile MDAs that are now off contract and not currently used. Would the T-Mobile PAYG card with its £1 a day data connection work on these?? Anyone know??

I used to use an MDA to access the internet with a contract simm so I see no reason why they will not work with a payg card. If you look at the t mobile website they will send you the cards for nothing so for a £10 worth of credit you can find out

stew

C.L.S

Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Stewart seeing you posting after me :whatthe: I thought you,d removed my avatar :eek:

Sorry i thought i was on the wrong site then :roflmto::roflmto::Tongue:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Thanks Stew, I've sent for some, but just wondered if anyone had actually tried it....I know some folk have used them on their PAYG mobiles to use as modems for Internet connections - should't be any diffs with the MDAs.

Laurie

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi

Stewart seeing you posting after me I thought you,d removed my avatar

who me Mark lol. Are you sure you haven't stolen it from my personal collection. I am sure I recognise the girl. Oh yes, I married her 24 years ago and she hasn't changed a bit but don't tell her I said that. :roflmto::roflmto:

Laurie - to use as a modem you probably know you need the software that came with the phone. If you haven't got it try downloading Blue Soliel - a very good third party piece of blutooth software.

stew

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
I have both T-Mobile contract and PAYG phones. They both work fine with Data. However there are some considerations worth noting.

Contract deals

Webnwalk – This costs an additional £7.50 on top of your monthly plan. However in T-Mobile eyes you should NOT use your phone as a modem using the standard webnwalk option? The FUP (Fair Usage Policy) is 1GB max a month (contract).

Webnwalk+ - This costs an additional £12.50 IIRC on top of your monthly plan. The “plus” bit means that you are allowed to use your phone as a modem. The FUP is 3GB max per month.

Webnwalkmax – This costs an additional £22.50 (IIRC) on top of your monthly plan. FUP is 10GB a month.

If you only want Data, you could obtain a USB modem from T-Mobile. You can choose between WebnWalk Plus for £29 per month or the Max (10GB) at £44 a month.

Something else worth a mention here is maybe VOIP. Webnwalk+ does NOT allow you to use VOIP services like Skype. (But it does work OK - allegedly). However, VOIP is permitted on the webnwalk max plan.

PAYG:-

Webnwalk on PAYG used to cost 73p per KB up to a max of £1.00 per day. However I think this has changed now (or is just about to) and you are just charged £1 each day you use the service. However on PAYG you are limited to 40MB per DAY under the FUP. You are NOT permitted to use the PAYG webnwalk for modem usage (supposedly)? You are not supposed to use VOIP or IM services either.

In the real world:-

T-Mobile FUP works over a 3 month average on contract, or so I was told by their techies. And they are incredibly relaxed about it. That is to say, you can quite happily go well over your limits without being pulled up, so long as it not persistently. I have personally exceeded my limit lots from time to time :winky:

Although your not supposed to use PAYG sim for a modem, it will of course work just fine. You can quite happily plonk a PAYG sim in a Data card too without any problems. But, do remember that your limited to 40MB per day FUP. Using a laptop via the PAYG sim will soon exceed that for sure. Especially if you have such things as automatic updates enabled etc. That said I have abused my PAYG on many occasions, going many many times over the 40MB limit. But I have never had any problems. Again so long as you don’t abuse the PAYG daily you should be OK.

I have been using my PAYG for ages now. In fact I have two? Initially I had one purely for data usage and I have lost count how many weekends I have abused it for the quid a day deal, well over the FUP limit I can tell ya :roflmto:

Anyway.. I haven’t noticed any difference in speed between either contract or payg. However I have noticed that some phones/devices perform better than others. Some phones when used as a modem can appear to slow things down. Data cards or usb modems go like the wind, but then are built for the job so it’s only expected.

Finally, if you do decide to get a PAYG sim, order it from T-Mobiles site direct? They charge 50p for the sim and postage is free. Your local phone shop will charge anything from about £4 to £10 for a sim, unless your buying a phone at the same time?

Cheers

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi I have a Nokia E61 on contract with t mobile with web n walk at 27.50 per month. Usually get 460 kbps which is fast enough for me. Downloads from the big sites are very fast ie AVG or Microsoft.

The only critisism I have is that MSN messenger is blocked. Haven't tried to set it up as a modem tho as said not allowed on basic web n walk, tho I have heard it is possible?

I've never been tackled on downloads tho have exceeded the FUP on occasion.

Last edited:

wilecoyote

Free Member
Aug 2, 2007
Leicester, UK
Funster No
The only critisism I have is that MSN messenger is blocked.

Are you using default GPRS settings? It may be a proxy thing?

Either remove the proxy option, or better still manually create a new setting using the same settings less the proxy (Name them different). I have for example "T-Mobile Internet" and "T-Mobile Internet - No Proxy" :Smile:

You may find it works then (allegedly) :winky:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
T mobile

Hi

I have a T mobile SIM on PAYG. Not sure what the speed is, but if you are able to let me know how to work it out, I can tell you!

Russell

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Are you using default GPRS settings? It may be a proxy thing?

Either remove the proxy option, or better still manually create a new setting using the same settings less the proxy (Name them different). I have for example "T-Mobile Internet" and "T-Mobile Internet - No Proxy" :Smile:

You may find it works then (allegedly) :winky:

Hi, where do I alter this? I've looked at settings and under advanced settings proxy server address = none
proxy port number = 0

I'd be very grateful if you can resolve this for me.

even when connected to the pc via Nokia pc suite it won't allow messenger to connect.

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Russell
Try This site to test your connection speed mate ::bigsmile:

Keith

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Net speed

Hi

Hovering over the network connection thing suggests I am running at 384 kbps.

Not sure if that is good, bad or indifferent.

Russell

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi

Hovering over the network connection thing suggests I am running at 384 kbps.

Not sure if that is good, bad or indifferent.

Russell

Pretty good in my opinion I'm getting 460.8 at the moment but that's on 3G

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back