Cheap 4g Mifi ... grab one while you can!!! (1 Viewer)

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
jaysas, do I need to buy an antenna too?

Correct if you want a bigger catchment area, depends on location and provider :thumb:

Just after any recommendations at a realistic price not silly money.

:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, I've joined this club too. Bought one this morning and cancelled the contract within an hour of purchase. Purchased the unlock code from E-Bay for £0.99 otherwise would have bitten Adams hand off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Adam.

I'm going to wait to see what the situation is in 2014, with regards to EU roaming costs proposals, by OFCOM.

Cheers,

Jock.

It is the EU commission (rather than OFCOM) headed by Neelie Kroes that are looking to remove all roaming charges. The date they have set for this is 2016 and so Regulation No 531/2012 is still in force for next year. This sees the maximum permissable charge for data reduced to 0.20c per MB (about 17p).: http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/roaming-tariffs

Or perhaps in a slightly more graphical way here:
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/sites/digital-agenda/files/New Roaming Plan 2013 EN.pdf

Providers are of course being encouraged to drop these chargers before this date and so the landscape could change at any point and not necessarily on the date set by the EU.

In short, I wouldn't recommend buying the EuropaSIM unless you was in a position to begin using it within a couple of months and certainly check to see what your existing provider might already be offering you by using this post below:
Link Removed

Adam

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
It is the EU commission (rather than OFCOM) headed by Neelie Kroes that are looking to remove all roaming charges. The date they have set for this is 2016 and so Regulation No 531/2012 is still in force for next year. This sees the maximum permissable charge for data reduced to 0.20c per MB (about 17p).: http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/roaming-tariffs

Or perhaps in a slightly more graphical way here:
https://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/sites/digital-agenda/files/New Roaming Plan 2013 EN.pdf

Providers are of course being encouraged to drop these chargers before this date and so the landscape could change at any point and not necessarily on the date set by the EU.

In short, I wouldn't recommend buying the EuropaSIM unless you was in a position to begin using it within a couple of months and certainly check to see what your existing provider might already be offering you by using this post below:
Link Removed

Adam
The blurb I read on the OFCOM website referred to 2014, (which may just mean it's the earliest date possible).
Thanks Adam, for the info, links, and advice. :thumb:

Staying on topic (ish). I've removed my T-Mobile sim from my Hauwei E586 3G MiFi, (which only ever displayed either T-Mobile or Orange as connection providers) and placed it in my Motorola Razir phone, (only for use when away in the MH). The display showed EE as the connection provider. Does that mean that my six year old sim is already suitable for 4G? EE has never showed up on the MiFi.

BTW, which antenna would suit the E5776 MiFi?

Thanks in anticipation. :Smile:

Jock.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi guys, I'm doing some info on how to unlock the MIFI as it's not the same as some others, nothing difficult though once you know how, so I'll post the info when I've finished typing it up!

:Smile:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
BTW, which antenna would suit the E5776 MiFi?

Thanks in anticipation. :Smile:

Jock.

Hi Jock there are a few on eBay as you may know, I would like to hear off someone who has one that works well and is not silly money. I know you would as well . Look after the pennies and all that:thumb:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We are out in van now at a pub just out side Barnsley
Using new toy and ee connection and this thing is seriously fast compared to our old mifi
Well pleased

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Sold out in Ipswich and Colchester but managed to reserve one to pick up from Clacton store tomorrow. Re: the antenna, having recently purchased Adam and Sophie's iboost system, does this work in conjunction? Pretty green on this area as you may be able to tell!! ::bigsmile:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Alongside, rather than in conjunction. The iboost picks up a local WiFi signal & re-broadcasts it in your van. The MiFi unit picks up a local 3G/4G mobile broadband signal (same as a mobile phone) & then also re-broadcasts it in your van.

Sometimes you will be able to pick up one signal, sometimes the other, often both. Given a choice, generally use the iboost. WiFi is usually faster than 3G, although 4G is frequently of comparable speed to WiFi. WiFi is frequently free & where it isn't, you are usually paying for time rather than the amount of data downloaded, so it suits larger downloads better.

You can't use the iboost antenna with the MiFi unit - you need one designed to pick up the mobile phone signals. I assume it will accept an external antenna - if so I'm sure Adam will happily provide one. :Smile:

(Unfortunately they ain't the cheapest thing you will ever buy, but will transform reception, especially for those with an all metal PVC).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks pal, that explains it nicely. :thumb: I must remember to take a my T-Mobile sim card with me, ie, with me not being phone savvy at all, I would have gone without it. :Doh:

Cheers,

Jock.

Jock you do NOT need to take your sim with you, when you buy the MIFI you sign up for a 30 day rolling contract with EE (t-mobile in another form) and get a mobile broadband sim there and then (FOC). You have to give your bank details and credit card too, you pay for the MIFI itself (£29.99) with the credit card and the 30 day rolling contract fee is collected by Direct Debit (that's why they needed your bank details). You then need to contact EE to cancel the contract (assuming you don't want it of course!) and then get an unlock code so you can use another broadband sim in it - there are cheaper deals than the EE one as far as I'm aware, its just a very easy and cheap way to get a very good MIFI unit!

I bought an unlock code from this guy and he was very quick and helpful so I would recommend him, it worked perfectly.

Link Removed

I've done a crib sheet on the procedure and am just waiting for the nominated 'guinea pig' to check it out before I let others have it - if anyone wants it please drop me a PM with your email address! :thumb:

Just one more thing ... if the store hasn't got a full-sized sim, just get them to let you have a nano (micro) sim instead as it doesn't make any difference if you're never going to use it! If they haven't got a sim they can't sell you the MIFI!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The MIFI does have a connection point for an external antenna so you can use one with it if you want but as the unit has 2 built in antennas already you may not actually need one! :Smile:

As we, and others, have already found, it is a fast unit on 3G so what it will be like on 4G I can only dream of! We got it in anticipation of being able to use 4G next year so to some extent 'future proofing'.:thumb:

If anyone wants to be a 'second' guinea pig for the unlocking instructions let me have your email address as my 'nominated' one has gone to bed I think!!! :Doh:

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Have got one reserved to collect tomorrow. Not entirely sure what I'm doing but what the heck:Eeek:

I'm sure someone on here will be able to help if I need it. :Confused:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You can't use the iboost antenna with the MiFi unit - you need one designed to pick up the mobile phone signals. I assume it will accept an external antenna - if so I'm sure Adam will happily provide one. :Smile:

(Unfortunately they ain't the cheapest thing you will ever buy, but will transform reception, especially for those with an all metal PVC).

Thanks TheCaller, cheque is in the post! :thumb:

The difficultly with 4G external antennas is that 4G is MIMO (Multiple Input, Multiple Output) which means technically you need a cross/dual polarized antenna with two antenna sockets for it to work properly. There isn't many available for the UK market at present because of where our 4G bands sit at 800Mhz, 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz. Given that WiFi is 2400Mhz then an antenna which is receptive to both 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz could be hindered by local WiFi interference unless the antenna is sufficiently de-tuned to WiFi.

Here is the sort of isolation point you would need in an antenna, note the highs where 4G is and the lows where other RF is - eg WiFi at 2400-2450.
Broken Link Removed

You're not going to get that with a £15 eBay antenna - but that's not to say its not going to make a difference as for the large part you're going to be connecting to 3G I'd imagine. This is why some people can report an external antenna making things worse - depending on the localized interference in that particular location.

The device itself has a 2x2 antenna but I'm not sure if it has a single or dual TS9 antenna connector? Some do (see example: http://www.4gltemall.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Huawei-E392-2-MIMO-Antenna.jpg)

Technically our 3G antenna misses out on the 4G classification because it is only receptive from 800Mhz and it needs to be tuned to 790Mhz in order to cover 4G, although great for 3G. We have one on the roof of our van:
Link Removed

I would not believe the spec on any of the Asian ~£30 antennas on eBay (28dBi? Really!?) - but that's not to say they won't make a difference. We sell some on eBay with nearly 100% feedback on them, but I wouldn't sell them to motorhomers via Motorhome WiFi as I'm not sure they are up to the quality that customers expect when we put our name on things so I'd not like to recommend them to funsters for that reason.

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The MIFI does have a connection point for an external antenna so you can use one with it if you want but as the unit has 2 built in antennas already you may not actually need one! :Smile:

As we, and others, have already found, it is a fast unit on 3G so what it will be like on 4G I can only dream of! We got it in anticipation of being able to use 4G next year so to some extent 'future proofing'.:thumb:

If anyone wants to be a 'second' guinea pig for the unlocking instructions let me have your email address as my 'nominated' one has gone to bed I think!!! :Doh:

I was on the pop Mel - we are away on a rally remember :ROFLMAO:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Jock you do NOT need to take your sim with you, when you buy the MIFI you sign up for a 30 day rolling contract with EE (t-mobile in another form) and get a mobile broadband sim there and then (FOC). You have to give your bank details and credit card too, you pay for the MIFI itself (£29.99) with the credit card and the 30 day rolling contract fee is collected by Direct Debit (that's why they needed your bank details). You then need to contact EE to cancel the contract (assuming you don't want it of course!) and then get an unlock code so you can use another broadband sim in it - there are cheaper deals than the EE one as far as I'm aware, its just a very easy and cheap way to get a very good MIFI unit!

I bought an unlock code from this guy and he was very quick and helpful so I would recommend him, it worked perfectly.

Link Removed

I've done a crib sheet on the procedure and am just waiting for the nominated 'guinea pig' to check it out before I let others have it - if anyone wants it please drop me a PM with your email address! :thumb:

Just one more thing ... if the store hasn't got a full-sized sim, just get them to let you have a nano (micro) sim instead as it doesn't make any difference if you're never going to use it! If they haven't got a sim they can't sell you the MIFI!

Thanks for that link, the chap was very helpful for 99p.

Now have my own three sim installed and working. Just had to alter my apn.

Thanks for all the information on this.

Eddie.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Picked it up and all set up. Found it a doddle to connect my iPhone to the internet. The man in Curry's was really helpful and I also got the second month's line rental free so I will wait a month to cancel it. Might as well use up my allowance!! ::bigsmile: just need to sort a Europe sim and getting it unlocked once I have cancelled it ::bigsmile:

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Alter Apn?

Unlocked mine and unlocker said

You will need to set up an Apn

Explanation on how to please ?

Tia

Steve

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
When I get on the road will I be able to watch tv etc on the laptop using this? Not very techie :Sad:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
All done contract canceled no fuss sales asked why
Jusr told him not needed as my phone has internet tethering and I did not know
No problem sir use the device for now and contract will end on 27 December
So I will run of 3 gig over next few days and swap out my 3 sim
12 quid for 3 gig over 3 months
Result :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Alter Apn?

Tia

Steve

It depends on your broadband provider and device you have to access the wireless, instructions are similar but not exact enough to list a guide. I changed mine to my three card and used an iPad to to change the apn.

Put this into your search engine and most providers methods will come up:-
instructions for changing apn address
Hope this assists

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Many thanks for the info

Managed to get one at Ashford Currys, they wanted to sell me another one, but went for this one, they mucked us about for ages setting up the direct debit, I told them that we were going to cancel it soon afterwards anyhow. They Gave us £5.00 off for the hassle.

Bought an unlock code from the internet unfortunately the one that minx recommended is now showing unavailable as away on vactation. So had to go with someone else, and waiting for that to come back, before next step havent cancelled it yet with EE, as we have no phone coverage where we are or mifi signal.

Pat

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Alter Apn?

Tia

Steve

Gawd ... you lot are keen!!!! ::bigsmile:

Ref setting up a 'new' APN:

If you've already unlocked the MIFI and are ready for the 'next stage' you need to do the following:

• Launch your web browser and a screen should come up automatically from 'EE', if it doesn't instead copy and paste the following into your browser address and it will take you to the EE screen:
Broken Link Removed
  • When you get the error message again you need to log into EE to create a new one as, although the MIFI is unlocked it will still be trying to connect to the internet using the original EE APN address settings so you need to make a new APN profile with your own network settings instead, so to log in:
Click on the Settings icon (cog at bottom of screen) and log in with:
ID: admin
Password: admin​
  • Click on Profile Management on the right (in blue) and then New Profile and create a profile for your network as follows:
Profile name: call it whatever you want - I just called mine Three
APN: three.co.uk [if you're on another broadband network you'll need the APN for them which you can get off their own website so you'll need to do this beforehand!]
User name: LEAVE BLANK
Password: LEAVE BLANK​
  • Click okay (or whatever the 'confirm' button says) and it's set.

The next time you turn on the MIFI and go on the internet you may be asked to use the 'wizard' to set up your MIFI, if so just do as it says and you should find that the APN is still your 'new' one, if not create a new one again and then do the wizard. I'm not sure why it did this to me yesterday but it's not done it again since so I assume it was a 'one off' with it being the first time I'd turned it on since getting it.

Have fun - whilst unlocking the MIFI is what you need to do to use it with another mobile broadband sim, the IMPORTANT THING is that you CANCEL THE CONTRACT WITH EE AS SOON AS YOU CAN to give the 30 day notice (assuming you don't want to keep it running!).

They're very busy at the moment (I've had to wait 15 mins on the phone to get through), as I get free land-line calls on my mobile (we don't have a home land-line) the number I rang is: 01707 315000, however if you have a land-line you could try the freephone number: 0800 801080.

If you have a T-mobile or Orange 'pay monthly' phone (ie not PAYG) though you can ring on 150 it won't cost you anything.

If you can't get through today, try again tomorrow but tell them that you couldn't get through and they'll back-date the cancellation date.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Been into the P/boro store and collected mine.
Gordon Bennett, what a palavar. I was in there for nearly an hour. :whatthe: In the end they had to phone EE to get a dummy code for the Curry's system to accept the deal. I couldn't get the free bolt on of one month's free rental, as that kept foiling the system too. :Doh:

It's up and running, and I've cancelled the contract on the same STD number Mel gave above.

I thought I might need a connection manager, but it connected straight away, and in a poor 3G signal area, it's running nicely. :thumb:

Not unlocked it yet for the same reasons Pat mentioned above, but will do sometime soon.

Thanks Mel, for giving us all the "heads up" on this one, and for the info regards setting up etc. I've received your PM thanks, but not had a chance to read it yet. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Alter Apn?

If you need to confirm APN details, checkout www.apnchanger.org - these are especially useful if you go to Morocco as some networks do not use 'Auto APN' like most UK networks do. Our EuropaSIM is the same - it requires the APN to be specified.

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Just cancelled my contract said I will have to pay until 27th November which is fine. Managed to set it up easily which is major for me ::bigsmile:. Unlock code soon, see how I get on with that.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Bought 2 in PCW in Nottingham - again long traumatic process but got there in the end - just need to cancel contracts now :thumb:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Great post and I've managed to get my hands on one. On hold as we speak trying to cancel my contract. The EE reception in my area isn't the best so going to put my 3 sim in.

Anybody know what the mico sad slot is for on the mifi?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back