Cheap 4g Mifi ... grab one while you can!!! (1 Viewer)

Kiwi Coss

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One word of warning... I spent 45 minutes on the phone to EE trying to cancel the contract. They said that was fine and then sent me to baycorp for not paying. I am still trying to sort it out which is diffulct to do from the bottom of Spain. Colin

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I cancelled mine easily enough, I just told them the EE signal in my area was poor and even though I didn't cancel for almost a week, I didn't have to pay for part of the following months contract till it ran out. I got the contract cancellation through the post last week.
Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Well, my daughter seems to have taken a shine to my unit and has asked to have it. :Doh:
Looks like I will need to buy another, currys still have them but the price has gone up to £59.99. They are sim free though so no contract to sign up for.
Anybody seen any cheaper offers before I have to go and spend proper money on one?
Allan

Its still a good price as they are selling for over £100 elsewhere, I would buy one at that price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Its still a good price as they are selling for over £100 elsewhere, I would buy one at that price.

£100. :whatthe:
I only paid £30 for mine ( actually, it cost me nothing because Currys gave me a £30 voucher for messing up the original sale)
I might have to buy 2 and sell one to make it worthwhile then
Allan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I just reserved one ( their last one), will go and pick it up this afternoon.
It says it is sim free, does anyone know if these are unlocked or are they locked to EE like the contract ones?
Allan

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I just reserved one ( their last one), will go and pick it up this afternoon.
It says it is sim free, does anyone know if these are unlocked or are they locked to EE like the contract ones?
Allan

If they are, unlocking is cheap and easy so no issue there. :thumb:

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Help please
Our local Curry store did not have the E5776 in stock so got my sister to get one from another store and they just sold it as in the box for £59.57 wich I no is wrong but tried to explain to my sister but it all went wrong.

So I took it to my local Curry store and to cut a long story short and stating that I wanted the monthly 3GB with 30 days notice they gave me a sim card with the following PAYM COMBI SIM, I did mention that am I ment to sign up in-store for it but they said I could just do it at home.

So I stick the sim in at home and get started and do everything I am ment to do with the username and password and quick setup, all the default settings and WLAN settings then press finish and it says this action will disconnect your WLAN do you still want to continue CANCEL or OK I press ok and it says failed.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
These are now sold by Currys sim free, no contract required to buy them, but they are still locked to EE. You need an EE sim, or get it unlocked and use any sim.
I just bought one and unlocked it and inserted a GiffGaff sim. All I had to do in the web browser settings was put in the APN, username and password, as supplied on GiffGaff website. I didn't alter or input any other settings.
You can get into the web browser and set up a new profile and try again entering just the above settings, if you are using an EE sim you shouldn't even need to do that.
Allan

Just had a thought, isn't the Combi sim a phone and data plan? You just need a data plan sim, that may be why it is failing. Maybe?

Last edited:

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
Forgot to mention I got £35 refund when I got the sim.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
I agree - found an offer on Martin Lewis' site which discounted the normal £21 EE tariff for a 5GB monthly package to £10 - which I think is unbeatable at the moment, and is a rolling monthly contract so no long tie in and lasts as long as
the contract is live. I have ditched the 3g slot usage in my ipad2 as the 4g mifi is sooo much faster and nicer to use - it defaults back to 3g if there is no 4g signal. I seem to manage to 4g in South Birmingham from my office, so I am very pleased indeed. £10 a month for 5GB 4g seems a bargain. :thumb:
Not an expert like some of you on this -- only find out the hard way but this is what we have finally ended up with since buying the 5776 ---- cancelled the ee contract straight away -- then used up the month that we had paid for -- after that because we had unlocked (99p off ebay) we went to the three shop where we got a rolling contract for £15,99 a month for 5gb -- was told that after the first bill was paid we could upgrade to 10 gb for the same price ------ yesterday we went back to the three shop because we had paid our first bill and now we have an upgrade to a rolling contract which is £15 per month giving us 10 gb per month -- does this seem to all you in the know as good as it seems to us :Smile: Sheila

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
With that setup Sheila, you could possibly do away with your home broadband package. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Not an expert like some of you on this -- only find out the hard way but this is what we have finally ended up with since buying the 5776 ---- cancelled the ee contract straight away -- then used up the month that we had paid for -- after that because we had unlocked (99p off ebay) we went to the three shop where we got a rolling contract for £15,99 a month for 5gb -- was told that after the first bill was paid we could upgrade to 10 gb for the same price ------ yesterday we went back to the three shop because we had paid our first bill and now we have an upgrade to a rolling contract which is £15 per month giving us 10 gb per month -- does this seem to all you in the know as good as it seems to us :Smile: Sheila

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly;jsessionid=5F1379433AE76023737D4FDABBFAB8FA?tariff=3031

Are 3 also going to give everyone 4g for free?

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
now we have an upgrade to a rolling contract which is £15 per month giving us 10 gb per month -- does this seem to all you in the know as good as it seems to us :Smile: Sheila

Probably a good deal if you use anywhere near 10GB per month. On average I use 3GB every six weeks so on that contract I would be paying for data capacity that I would never use. That is why I like the 3GB in three months sim cards from 3. If I don't use the sim for a while it doesn't matter as I still get to use up my allowance. For the past 2 weeks I've been on a site with free wifi, so haven't used the 3 sim at all. Horses for courses! :Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Probably a good deal if you use anywhere near 10GB per month. On average I use 3GB every six weeks so on that contract I would be paying for data capacity that I would never use. That is why I like the 3GB in three months sim cards from 3. If I don't use the sim for a while it doesn't matter as I still get to use up my allowance. For the past 2 weeks I've been on a site with free wifi, so haven't used the 3 sim at all. Horses for courses! :Smile:[/QUOTE
Out of interest because I totally get what you are saying how much do you pay for your 3gb lasting three months please ( if I didn't have a teddybard to look after (he lives on the internet) what you have said would be enough for me -- OMG :whatthe::Eeek: it sounds as if I'm trying to get rid::bigsmile:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Probably a good deal if you use anywhere near 10GB per month. On average I use 3GB every six weeks so on that contract I would be paying for data capacity that I would never use. That is why I like the 3GB in three months sim cards from 3. If I don't use the sim for a while it doesn't matter as I still get to use up my allowance. For the past 2 weeks I've been on a site with free wifi, so haven't used the 3 sim at all. Horses for courses! :Smile:

There seem to similar standard deals around with several providers, Vodaphone, 3, TMobile etc. maybe a tad cheaper with GiffGaff. The best deals it seems are had by those who have been with providers for a while. We get 15GB for £15.99 per month - but that deal was set up with 3 in India not on a UK high street. I believe Mel (Minx) has an even better deal with 3 than ours

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
With that setup Sheila, you could possibly do away with your home broadband package. :winky:

Cheers,

Jock.
We have done exactly that -- because we didn't have a contract with talk talk we had a credit for the landline rental :thumb: the mifi and three now gives us internet wherever we are :thumb:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Three's data sim deals can be found here:

http://store.three.co.uk/Mobile_Broadband/Plans/Pay_As_You_Go

We are with Three for our mobile broadband as has been mentioned, we pay £8 a month for 15gb, but only because we've been with them for yonks so get a 50% discount, otherwise it would be £15.99.

We only have mobile broadband, no land line for phone either, and have been like this for the last 5-6 years, seeing what people pay for land line phone and broadband I'm glad we made the change! Our 2 mobile phone contracts and the broadband contract cost us less than our old single land line phone used to!:thumb:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
My daughter ( who's still at home at 22) can get through 5 gb in a couple of days, no chance of us using a mifi for our internet access till she moves out!
Still, I suppose for £28 a month we get free landline phone calls and unlimited broadband ( thankfully) so that's not too bad. We could have free tv on youview too, but we get enough [STRIKE]crap[/STRIKE] free tv on freesat
Allan

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Is there any update on whats recommended now please
Thanks, Dave