Kad28

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
hi all Motorhomers. We have a Chausson welcome 727 and want to take 2ebike with us. They won't fit into the garage ☹️. Has anyone fitted a bike rack or a towbar to Chausson Welcome 727.? If so can you give me some ideas please. Karen

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Can't help with your specific model but I know that in general they're best installed at the rear of the MH.:D2

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I suppose it boils down to a couple of factors. Do you have a tow bar already? If not there is the cost of supply and fitting. Our newly bought MH already had one fitted so it's an easy choice for us.
I'm not sure about racks fitted directly to rear but I've read elsewhere on here that this is probably not diy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi all Motorhomers. We have a Chausson welcome 727 and want to take 2ebike with us. They won't fit into the garage ☹️. Has anyone fitted a bike rack or a towbar to Chausson Welcome 727.? If so can you give me some ideas please. Karen
Have a look on the back just below the high level brake light... you may have a fitting there already for a bike rack
A dealer would confirm what rack can be fitted .
Andy

OP
OP
Kad28

Kad28

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks for your response.
We have had a man out to fit a towball however he didn't do the job as he said there was not enough clearance from the ground. The problem with a bike rack it would have to be above the large garage door and there for we would have to lift the heavy bikes up a considerable distance. So we have a dilemma.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm surprised they won't fit in the garage... I can get two mountain bikes in the back of a 620..
Have you tried it by loosing and turning the handlebars in line with the frame .
Andy

OP
OP
Kad28

Kad28

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thanks for the suggestion, we have tried but the Height is about 5cm to much. We have tried dropping the handle bars but no good.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We've had both, and for ease of use, the towball rack is much better as you might expect.
But that's it's only advantage. Fitting a towbar is expensive (£5-600), and a good rack will set you back another £200 maybe. Plus, a towbar steals a lot of payload, the towball rack is also a good bit heavier than the usual Fiamma aluminium rear mounted one.
But I think there is a compromise, I met someone who had a rear mounted rack that winds down, you put the bikes on and then wind it up. Might be Fiamma, no idea on cost though.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Kad28

Kad28

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Thank you all for your response. We have not been able to find any one to fit a towbar on matter of the cost. The Fiamma rack that winds down might be our only answer however we are not very confident in the security of the bikes. (4K Worth ). We will relook to see how easy it would be to take the Front wheels off. As they are Ebikes there are a lot of cables going to the wheels.
Karen

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi, we have quick release front wheels on our full sized non-ebikes, easy to take of and put on and definitely preferable to having expensive ebikes on the back which would probably not be covered by insurance there either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back