Chausson grill/oven vent (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Anyone found a cover for this vent on a chausson flash 10 the wind whistles through the top of the grill/oven and winters coming!!

David

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We removed the grill unit entirely from our Flash 10 as at the height they are installed they are next to useless.

Got a piece of 1/8in thick black plastic which I cut to size / shape to fit just behind the vent cover. If you get it right it won't fall out. Spot glued it in the corners with some mastic, with the vent cover back on the plastic can't be seen and it also can't fall out whatever happens.

On the inside I got some of the foil backed polystyrene as you put behind radiators, doubled it over to decent thickness and duct-taped it over the appature as insulation.

Now we have an extra shelf !!

Warning !!! If your taking the grill out, make sure you get the gas feed pipe at the manifold in the little locker under the fridge isolated and capped off by a competent person who is certified to do so !!!!

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Piece of card and a magnet. A playing card is about the right size and stiffness. Put over the vent inside the oven and hold in place with a small but strong magnet. Make yourself a reminder to remove it before lighting the oven though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We bought the vent covers from ebay. Glad you mentioned them. Must remember to put them on before heading off 2mor.

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We removed the grill unit entirely from our Flash 10 as at the height they are installed they are next to useless.

Got a piece of 1/8in thick black plastic which I cut to size / shape to fit just behind the vent cover. If you get it right it won't fall out. Spot glued it in the corners with some mastic, with the vent cover back on the plastic can't be seen and it also can't fall out whatever happens.

On the inside I got some of the foil backed polystyrene as you put behind radiators, doubled it over to decent thickness and duct-taped it over the appature as insulation.

Now we have an extra shelf !!

Warning !!! If your taking the grill out, make sure you get the gas feed pipe at the manifold in the little locker under the fridge isolated and capped off by a competent person who is certified to do so !!!!
I also removed the grill as we thought it dangerous due to the fact that it is so high up and the door opens from the top which makes it hard to remove hot items safely. I fitted a microwave with grill with a side opening door which is much safer. Talking of safety, please be careful when blocking off the vent behind where the grill was as the roof lights in the Flash best of 10 are of the sealed type and so the vent behind the grill is crucial for ventilation and to prevent the build up of carbon monoxide when using not only the grill but also the hob and in case any other gas appliances go wrong and release carbon monoxide. Covering the fridge vents is ok as they don't release carbon monoxide into the motorhome as it is sealed.
Regards,
Lee.

sparky2

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2003
We have also removed the smev oven for the same reason as Leeboy.It seems to be a common problem on the flash 10.Very interested in leeboy's idea of fitting a microwave unit,which model have you fitted and could you advise me how to secure it.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a high-level grill in our Flash S2, but we don't use it other than somewhere to keep the First Aid kit. (y)

We were able to buy a single cover on eBay, which is exactly the same as one of the fridge vent covers.

It's a shame they fitted the grills - in our case ONLY on the UK models - the continental versions don't have them. They have an extra cupboard instead, which doesn't protrude so much over the cooker.

Mike

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We sell universal covers which use suction cups to fit to the van. I can make any size.
I got three from ebay and they are great. Just fitted them today.

We also had our grill taken out and have replaced it with a microwave. The parrotsol "winter" covers will come with us to put over the top (ex-grill) vent overnight even in summer to keep the wind out. I don't want to block the vent off permanently as I think the m/wave should have good ventilation.

The microwave / grill was from Lidl. Not fully secured as yet but that's a winter job.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi
I got three from ebay and they are great. Just fitted them today.

We also had our grill taken out and have replaced it with a microwave. The parrotsol "winter" covers will come with us to put over the top (ex-grill) vent overnight even in summer to keep the wind out. I don't want to block the vent off permanently as I think the m/wave should have good ventilation.

The microwave / grill was from Lidl. Not fully secured as yet but that's a winter job.
do you have a link to the covers on ebay? Also did you have the grill removed and replaced by a dealership?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hi

do you have a link to the covers on ebay? Also did you have the grill removed and replaced by a dealership?

Broken Link Removed

and yes the grill was removed at a dealership as we were having other (warranty) work done at the same time. They made everything safe and put the socket in for the m/w as they were busy.

We will fit the microwave ourselves.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Broken Link Removed

and yes the grill was removed at a dealership as we were having other (warranty) work done at the same time. They made everything safe and put the socket in for the m/w as they were busy.

We will fit the microwave ourselves.
Thank you, do they stay on all the time ? Or do you have to remove them for driving? Sorry if it seems obvious but a bit confused :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hubby ordered the covers and I didn't realise they had come from our very own Parrotsol (Jezport) until they arrived. I had to remind him of the traders at the show with Tango!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Thank you, do they stay on all the time ? Or do you have to remove them for driving? Sorry if it seems obvious but a bit confused :)
I will take them off when driving (maybe not just when moving the van from one side of the house to the other) but they would probably blow away if you left them on when driving at any sort of speed.

The suction cups don't stick to dimpled surfaces or over decals so you need to position them carefully.

Also you need to leave the covers off the fridge vents when using the fridge. Probably obvious but worth reminding myself.

sparky2

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2003
We have decided to use the vacant space from removing the grill and make it into a cupboard but are struggling to find a door which is of the correct size. Would be gratefull for any ideas in how to achieve this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back