Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What I would like to know is what exactly the body construction is I think probably a wood frame with foam stuck to the plastic outer, if so how good is the seal around the cutouts at keeping out the water out of the wood/ plastic ? frame on the new ones.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
What is road heating?

Thanks for all the above replies everyone!
Sorry.. I never noticed your question. . Road heating is an extension of the cabs heating system that extends excellent heating to the back whilst on the move. It's very good but is only any use whilst you're driving.

Rouflab

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV High Top
Exp
Since 2011
2008 Chausson Flash 03 had it for 5 years now, done 23,000 miles, treated like a baby is as new, BUT, trouble trouble trouble, spent £4500.00 on aprts and repairs that I cannot do, and I have done most of the work myself, Egr Valves, Fly wheel pulley sheered at 8500 miles, AC switch and AC motor, Discs, Calipers, hand brake cables. then the Chausson build quality, leaking front back and centre skylight, ( TWICE ) then new skylight as the winding mechanism broke,,, dont do parts for it anymore ( had to replace the whole middle skylight ), 240v system problems, kept tripping ( Circuit board problem where the plug in connectors not making proper contact ), Fridge doesnt work on battery ( cant be bothered fixing it LOL ) hot water drain valve, magnetic catches coming off in vanity cupboard These were sort of melted on instead of screwed, grill switch and light. bottle holders on door breaking ( Only used for plastic bags so no weight ),,, I have used many tubes of two part epoxy resin, super glue and evostik serious glue on it. Fitted second leisure battery on it and decided to buy the matching recessed battery box for it from Chausson a whopping £80.00,, parts not cheap from chausson and watch them rise by 20% when Brexit takes hold as well as well known makes like Hymer and Fiamma.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We have a Chausson 515 welcome, 2016, on an X290 130. My Cousin has Flash 03 on a transit

Neither of us have had any Chausson related issues. My cousin had a few problems with her Transit engine at the beginning, but nothing serious, all done under guarantee. So far 8k miles on the Ducato clock, runs like clockwork, quite lively. We chose Fiat as a base because (a) service would be easier in Portugal, (b) they dominate the M/H market, (c) the Transit reputation for security (or lack) and (d) it was in stock and we could do a deal

To my mind, third party items such as skylights, fridges and blinds are pretty much common to all the current crop of motorhomes, they are not Chausson specific and are in my opinion all pretty shoddy in terms of design and engineering quality

Can't fault our experiences, superb Eberspacher on road diesel heating, I have found the electrics to be superbly wired, insulation excellent, everything all built rather well. I dislike the joinery materials, but all things considered (including the reasonable cost) I am actually quite impressed.

The only problems we have had (all resolved) were loose screws on the water pump and the drop down single berth bunk a bit rattily.

Rouflab

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV High Top
Exp
Since 2011
You have been lucky. I believe mine is Jinxed, LOL LOL. Even the link from the Turbo to the control unit, the circlip came off while in Scotland and Plumes of black smoke poured out, thought the turbo was blown. I diagnosed the problem fairly quickly. When the AA man came he said he had never seen this happen before. Of course it was a SUNDAY, but lucky he had one that fitted. I have retro fitted a fridge cooling system,
Brunner Fridge fan Vento Electronic
It lasted one day and the switch went faulty and the unit could not be switched off,, again LOL LOL,,, definitely JINXED

Rouflab

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV High Top
Exp
Since 2011
Transit security ?????, I use a heavy padlock and chain the OLD WAYS and a Clutch immobiliser locking system,,anti-theft device Stainless Steel Clutch Lock Car Brake Lock W8 can be bought on Ebay

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Bloody hell, that has been a run of bad luck mate. I'm surprised you bother with security and hope someone nicks it with that history!

Rouflab

Free Member
Jul 28, 2017
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
RV High Top
Exp
Since 2011
Just an update the second Brunner fridge Vento cooling system has gone belly up..This time the Auto would not function after a week.. Rang them direct in Italy to try to tell them the switches on the units appear to be faulty, a manufacturing process. I couldnt make them understand the may need a recall. Thanks for the tip I will take it on board .. the only trouble I have put so much care and attention into the blasted machine adapting it and rust proofing it. Tyres every 4 years Serviced every year by me with best oil and Genuine parts. Redex added every fill and only the best fuel, Maxol, BP, Esso, and Go,,, NO Supermarket Fuels. SORRY TO ALL forgot about the KAMPA air awning 260L motor Rally Pro, has burst 3 main tubes, two failed at the grey outlet pine splitting. the third lasted 2 hours which one I replaced, blowing out. BTW I had also purchased first generation Kampa Pump, It went belly up. Found out these were mostly Faulty . BUT Kampa never did a recall. They hoped they would go out of warranty as mine did. Bought new generation pump . Both inflate to the recommended pressure, so not my fault putting too much air into it. Forgot also had to reseal the Shower cubicle as it was leaking. I am sure there are other repairs I have missed .. They seem to come in THREEs every trip. But lately Just one or two LOL LOL LOL. I am very very careful with the motorhome and all my accessories I have for it, It looks like new.

Dunc

Free Member
Aug 11, 2017
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 625
Exp
Fairly New
Hi

I have a 2016 Flash 625 and I chose the Ford option, partly because I have a dislike of Fiat and Trannies have always been great workhorses with many commercial centres in the UK for servicing etc.

I don't think the external of the cab is particularly pretty but the beauty is on the inside where you spend most of the time. A great layout similar to a Fiesta and a great drive. Performance is reasonable but don't let the revs drop too low as it can catch you out with no pull till the turbo starts to spin.

It came with VIP pack so all the usual bits such as cruise control, electric mirrors, steering wheel controls etc.

So far very happy with our choice.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Our last van, which we had for 5 years, was a Chausson Flash 03 on a Transit base with a diesel heater. For the money it was a great van. Well built and the Transit was a really comfortable ride. The heating system was fine and very economical, though of course you are using highly taxed road fuel. We only changed it because my knees are going and it was a struggle getting down the ladder several times a night to use the facilities. For a budget van it was great and the Transit is a really good vehicle.

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Ive had diesel heaters in campers etc for few years now, they are really powerful and at maximum use quarter of a liter an hour. We don't even need ours on half power its so good, however a huge downside for us: - If you like staying with electric hook up, there is NO HEATING! You will have to use your diesel, as there is no electrical element to this heating.

What is also not mentioned is the extremely loud noise these heaters make. We often camp near tents with our family and have had several complaints that the heater (which sounds like a Boeing 737 on take off) is keeping campers awake!

So it has its pros and cons, me, I would definitely choose gas/electric combi heating at the moment but when we saddle up in a few years I guess the diesel will be invaluable (for not connected living).

As far as the Chausson is concerned, we have had or welcome 610 (fiat) for over 2 years now. Its been ok after a couple teething problems: -

The electric table failed on the first day, that ruined or first week away in it (the table is massive and must be lowered for the bed to drop right down). We now have removed the table, and have 2 portable table size options with us, and the lounge space is massive!

The electric bed is a flipping nightmare, it has a mind of its own! Who knows what the electronic "brain" has in store for us when we press the "down" button. All I can say is that every time we lower it we have one hand on the emergency stop isolating key. Project 2000, not Chausson BTW).

Apart from those problems, the stuff you get for the price is amazing and we cant find anything that comes close when looking for a fixed bed in similar price range.

We're away to NEC in October, that might change :)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Ive had diesel heaters in campers etc for few years now, they are really powerful and at maximum use quarter of a liter an hour. We don't even need ours on half power its so good, however a huge downside for us: - If you like staying with electric hook up, there is NO HEATING! You will have to use your diesel, as there is no electrical element to this heating.

What is also not mentioned is the extremely loud noise these heaters make. We often camp near tents with our family and have had several complaints that the heater (which sounds like a Boeing 737 on take off) is keeping campers awake!

So it has its pros and cons, me, I would definitely choose gas/electric combi heating at the moment but when we saddle up in a few years I guess the diesel will be invaluable (for not connected living).

As far as the Chausson is concerned, we have had or welcome 610 (fiat) for over 2 years now. Its been ok after a couple teething problems: -

The electric table failed on the first day, that ruined or first week away in it (the table is massive and must be lowered for the bed to drop right down). We now have removed the table, and have 2 portable table size options with us, and the lounge space is massive!

The electric bed is a flipping nightmare, it has a mind of its own! Who knows what the electronic "brain" has in store for us when we press the "down" button. All I can say is that every time we lower it we have one hand on the emergency stop isolating key. Project 2000, not Chausson BTW).

Apart from those problems, the stuff you get for the price is amazing and we cant find anything that comes close when looking for a fixed bed in similar price range.

We're away to NEC in October, that might change :)

We carry an electric fan heater to use when on hook up.

As to the electric bed, I pretty certain it tends to go wild when the leisure battery is less than fully charged. Over this winter I am going to rip out all the electronic gubbins and rewire it to a master on-off keyswitch and a bias switch for up and down, with an end of travel sensor to detect fully down (it already has a sensor to detect fully up).

Means it will be a purely manual affair, but simple !!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

As to the electric bed, I pretty certain it tends to go wild when the leisure battery is less than fully charged. Over this winter I am going to rip out all the electronic gubbins and rewire it to a master on-off keyswitch and a bias switch for up and down, with an end of travel sensor to detect fully down (it already has a sensor to detect fully up).

There an article on how to do that in an issue of MMM earlier this year ours is still working ok so leaving it alone. I have a copy of the detailed project 2000 instructions would you like it?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
There an article on how to do that in an issue of MMM earlier this year ours is still working ok so leaving it alone. I have a copy of the detailed project 2000 instructions would you like it?

I already have the instructions thanks, in fact I have re-calibrated it so many times I know them off by heart !

Did MMM give instructions on how to convert the Project 2000 bed to manual control ? If so could you somehow scan that and either post here (copyright issues ?) or somehow email it to me ?

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Yes please

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp

This is exactly what we do. I have installed a500w panel hearted in bathroom and I use 100A oil filled rad in lounge. Just work is wad dual fuel breathing easier.
I'm doing exactly what you said re bed. Just measured the plate to make new one to house switch. Going to get a double pole double throw up down switch (non latching so won't need the limit switches) and just operate the bed manually.

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Photo of heater, 35mn off wall. Can dry towels to in these ceramic ones.

Attachments

• 1503223125024.jpg
    1503223125024.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 29

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
The bain of my life

Attachments

• 1503223232309.jpg
    1503223232309.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 27

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
But no longer! Modified the panel to an up/down switch.
Works perfectly every time, no more guessing where the bed might end up!

Attachments

• IMG_20171009_162715.jpg
    IMG_20171009_162715.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20171009_162421.jpg
    IMG_20171009_162421.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 22

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Me too please if you don't mind - just for an in-case at a later stage if needed!
BED
Enter in programming mode after having switched on the panel. To enter the programming mode, hold the hidden button (between the button UP and DOWN) and the button UP for 7 seconds. The green LED light with the symbol of the key switches on. If it doesn’t, repeat the operation.
Put underneath the bed some supports able to hold the bed in the lowest position.
Press the button UP; the bed descends. Let it rest on the supports and keep pushing until the bed starts raising again. Bring the bed up to its higher position and let it press the electric contact (limit switch).
Let the bed descend and start programming the positions (depending on the model of the bed can be 3 or 4 points). Let the bed descend to the first position, press the hidden button plus the button DOWN. The LED on the arrows will switch off and on again. Repeat with this procedure for the next 2-3 points and the system will automatically quit the programming mode.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Diesel heaters are smelly, noisy and need a big battery to be reliable over a few days off grid, we had a Flash 03 with one. I wouldnt choose to get one, the only benefit is they are cheap to run.
Our Flash 03 was more economical than its equivalent Fiat and my x type Jag has basically the same engine and other than the usual known easy to diagnose faults like EGR, Pulley and injectors they are a great engine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back