Chausson flash quesion (2) (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2018
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
in our search for a 6 berth replacement for our 2 berth Knaus we're looking at a flash 2012 on ford transit.
The salesman told me the floor was now a composite - is this correct?
Anyone with any comments about these vans?
I must say that for a 2.2 diesel it drove very well, zipped allong really. Other than the maybe generally plastic and flimsy nature of the van trim, and compact nature of the interior we liked it. 6 berth in such a small van is impressive though...
Oh, and finally, could we fit a towbar?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It will show on the weight plate what the maximum train weight is fot towing. Usually second line down, first being the max gross weight.
Can't help about the floor

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not answering your questions but probably worth thinking about.
Be aware some insurers now have concerns over providing cover for Ford Transit based vehicles due to security issues.
Check the available payload on the vehicle as there may be insufficient if you're considering travelling six up.
Does it have six belted seats to go with the six berths?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Anyone with any comments about these vans?
Ive got the 620 welcome ... the consrtuction throughout ie floor walls and roof is a dense foam sandwiched between an outer grp skin and an internal board.. that seems to be a fairly common now in motorhomes in this price range..
They do have a lot of innovative features but i agree with your comments about the generally flimsy nature of the plastic trim etc.. they use the same budget ideas on the inner trim with very lightweight flimsy material and finished with paper stickers covering a lot of the screws used...cheap and nasty really for something selling new for around 50 grand now..
The 2.2l engine comes in a few different outputs...
Mine is the 150 and again as you said can pop along...top speed is more than adequate..but you need to use the box on hills to maintain speed...
Ive had to up plate mine to 4 tonne to carry the stuff i want to carry... so in my case and possibly yours if youer looking at carrying up to 6 people you would want to check the available payload...
Tow bars are available for them..
Andy..

OP
OP
H
Sep 19, 2018
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Just looking
I'll have to ask about the train weight..
the all up weight shouldn't be an issue since we don't envisage being more than me and the wife an the little grandkids.
What exactly is involved in plating it up, if that's what we decide?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
sometimes it is only a paper exercise .others it might require different tyres, rear air assist ,etc:perhaps @andy63 will pop back & say what he had to do.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
erhaps @andy63 will pop back & say what he had to do.
Cheers gus....

in my case it was just a paper exercise...
I went through sv tec... just asked them what was the max weight i could plate to without changing anything...
They came back with 4000kg which was fi e in my case...
So the max gross weight is increased but the max axel weights remains the same...
Andy

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I'll have to ask about the train weight..
the all up weight shouldn't be an issue since we don't envisage being more than me and the wife an the little grandkids.
What exactly is involved in plating it up, if that's what we decide?

I would want it weighed empty to see what it weighs take that figure away from the GVW 3500kgs to see what your people and payload is. then do what we do work out your personal weights and what you carry plus fuel water if not included in empty figure , you will be surprised how little load you have , and with weighbrides in the road becoming more common in the UK more fines will be issued i'm sure

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would have thought it unlikely the floor is composite we have a flash 10. Our first was a flash 3 09 reg and was good you need to change the door locks for security and fit an obd lock itdoesn't cost alot

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
I would have thought it unlikely the floor is composite we have a flash 10. Our first was a flash 3 09 reg and was good you need to change the door locks for security and fit an obd lock itdoesn't cost alot

Sorry to hijack, but we have a Flash 03 on a transit, what did you replace the door locks with? Any links?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sorry to hijack, but we have a Flash 03 on a transit, what did you replace the door locks with? Any links?
Look at garrison locks on the net we got a hykee lock with a surrounding flange and an obd port lock sorry late replying skiing last week!

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
Look at garrison locks on the net we got a hykee lock with a surrounding flange and an obd port lock sorry late replying skiing last week!

Ah brilliant, thanks. Looks like I need http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/van-...-upgrade/transit-pre-2013-for-tra-hyk-pre2013 and http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/ford-transit-2006-onwards-obd-port-socket-protection and they're only up the road from my in Market Harborough.

I notice this is just the driver's door lock, I will ask them when I contact them but can't find a passenger side equivalent. Did you do anything with your passenger side?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ah brilliant, thanks. Looks like I need http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/van-...-upgrade/transit-pre-2013-for-tra-hyk-pre2013 and http://www.garrisonlocks.co.uk/ford-transit-2006-onwards-obd-port-socket-protection and they're only up the road from my in Market Harborough.

I notice this is just the driver's door lock, I will ask them when I contact them but can't find a passenger side equivalent. Did you do anything with your passenger side?
There isn't one on the passenger side!!!

dutts303

Free Member
Aug 30, 2018
Devon
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2019
There isn't one on the passenger side!!!

Hahahahaha oh my god! What an idiot! I’ve never tried to find the lock but just assumed there was one.

Even more embarrassingly I’ve just emailed Garrison about a quote for fitting and mentioned the same! Whoops!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hahahahaha oh my god! What an idiot! I’ve never tried to find the lock but just assumed there was one.

Even more embarrassingly I’ve just emailed Garrison about a quote for fitting and mentioned the same! Whoops!
Fitted mine myself a bit fiddly but doable. OBD port lock easy to do even though they don't supply instructions!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
While I can see the merit in replacing the Drivers door CAB lock, to my mind the HAB door lock is way more vulnerable, not to mention the windows.

I will be looking into changing the HAB door lock to some form of Yale, front door type lock when I get time.

But as you have an alternative means of entry (hab door) why not just remove the Drivers door CAB lock and fill the hole up ? If your remote does not open the doors then just stroll in via the hab door.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think the thingy they use to pick the ceb door then fits the ignition straight away so a different cab door lock might slow them down. Also it makes it obvious its had some extra security fitted with a bit of luck they will go to the next one!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
I think the thingy they use to pick the ceb door then fits the ignition straight away so a different cab door lock might slow them down. Also it makes it obvious its had some extra security fitted with a bit of luck they will go to the next one!

I have heard that picking / rotating the CAB door lock unlocks all the doors and turns the alarm off, but if there is no lock to pick / rotate that can't happen. Am I missing something ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have heard that picking / rotating the CAB door lock unlocks all the doors and turns the alarm off, but if there is no lock to pick / rotate that can't happen. Am I missing something ?
Theres a device for sale on the net that fits in the lock to find the key setting.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Theres a device for sale on the net that fits in the lock to find the key setting.

Right, that's what I'm saying, get rid of the lock and it can't be picked.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back