Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The Chausson 620 has a lovely large garage and a large cupboard for clothing etc but in the hab area and kitchen I thought there wasn't enough cupboard space..
It lacks the normal overhead lockers a lot of vans have..
The problem is the lack of space due to the large drop down double bed..
It's tight on either side and Chausson filled this space with woodwork containting various forms of lighting..
After a bit thought I decided to remove the woodwork and fit some cupboards.. which have to have sliding doors ..because of the drop down bed..
Managed to get the basic framework in place today ,but at times could have done with another set of arms :)..
I retained their wiring and lighting... the strip led will provide cupboard lighting on a separate switch and the downlights will fit into the Base of the units on the original switching...
It's been a longer job than I expected but now I can see the wood from the trees I'm happy it's goin to provide some useful additional storage...
Just a lot of finishing off.. ie knock in edging ,lighting ,locking devices and stops for the doors as they are sliding.. and some adjustable shelving..
20161213_172657.jpg
20161213_172647.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looks good Andy. I think we will miss you at Beamish as we arrive on Friday (booked a CS for a couple of nights so we'll have EHU).

Jemima has three transverse double beds and the cupboards under the dropdown come down with the bed which is clever :) Stephen loves his "bed in the roof".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Jemima has three transverse double beds and the cupboards under the dropdown come down with the bed which is clever :)
hi helen , I've seen that arrangement on the transverse drop down bed on one of the chaussons as well..
it is well thought out..
we will catch up at some point , but ill be heading for cairnryan on friday, so will miss you and martin at beamish.. i most probably will just pop through in the camper on thursday evening, and return home same evening.. as I've got a load to be sorted before leaving on friday..
andy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume it looked like this before your mods?

Capture.PNG

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I assume it looked like this before your mods?

View attachment 137346
Yes Mel that shows quite clearly the woodwork with the lighting installed which I mentioned above . That I've removed..
Obviously I think I've made better use of the space now.,,but I would have to say that wouldn't i:xrofl:

20161213_172852.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
hi helen , I've seen that arrangement on the transverse drop down bed on one of the chaussons as well..

The transverse drop down on Jemima has a ladder at the hab side and you can climb down onto the cab seats at the other end. There is enough space to get through from the cab under the drop down bed so it is a nice arrangement. We use the rear fixed bed if it is just the two of us though :)

One idea I had (not sure of it would work) would be to have a transverse rear bed but with a lower section in the middle like the rear single beds have but much shorter - maybe just a couple of feet. That way you could use the rear bed as a chill out area, ideal for teens, still retain enough of the garage for folding bikes and have the rear transverse double (would need to be made up but that isn't a big job), or a permanent single. The "seat" area would even be big enough for very small children to sleep longitudinally and with restraining nets they would be safe from falls. Our Grandson loves the drop down bed and the safety nets :) I think he is like a fish in a lobster pot but he asks for the nets to be zipped up.

The only thing we want to change with Jemima is to put more power points in - a 12v and a USB charger somewhere behind the driver's seat. The leisure battery and fuse box etc is under the bench seat there so it shouldn't be a difficult job..... those could be famous last words of course.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Think I'd be banging my head on those getting into or out of bed after a few bottles of Brown !
I'll let you know in due course cause I'm always banging my head anyway lol.. even with the cupboards in place there is still room down each side of the bed...
Andy..

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The transverse drop down on Jemima has a ladder at the hab side and you can climb down onto the cab seats at the other end.

Does the ladder have to be used with the bed down or are you talking an intermediate position that requires a ladder and the bed can be lowered further if you want..

It's hard to picture exactly what you mean ,but I'm sure when I see jemima the penny will drop ..

I also need additional 12 and 240 v sockets..
The main cupboard for clothe's is big but the shelving is all open and everything ends up in a pile after a drive,so I have that to sort out by compartmenting it etc...
Always something lol..
Andy.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@andy63

The ladder does have to be used with the bed down unless you climb down via the cab seats - it only comes down as far as what would be your intermediate position. Clear as mud ?? !!!! Martin does say that bed is really comfortable when he used it to settle Stephen. Our niece also loved it and we had to threaten to raise the bed with her still in it to get her up in the mornings :) It's manual and not electric but is very well balanced and light to raise.

Could you put boxes and restraining straps on the shelves, or maybe a close fitting blind that could velcro on edge of the shelf / shelves when you were travelling and fold out of the way when standing? It doesn't even need to be a blind thinking about it, just fabric or net to retain the shelf contents. I'm sure I could figure something out and I probably have enough stuff here to sort it :)

You'll get meals when you come to visit anyway :)

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Could you put boxes and restraining straps on the shelves, or maybe a close fitting blind that could velcro on edge of the shelf / shelves when you were travelling and fold out of the way when standing? It doesn't even need to be a blind thinking about it, just fabric or net to retain the shelf contents. I'm sure I could figure something out and I probably have enough stuff here to sort it :)

I think I understand the bed bit:xgrin:.. I need a ladder if it's in the intermediate position but never used it there ...
Martin is spot on about the bed... really comfortable..

Thanks for the ideas about my cupboard area... food for thought there.. I'll give it some thought and maybe incorporate all those great ideas.. thanks..
Andy

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Looks good Andy. I think we will miss you at Beamish as we arrive on Friday (booked a CS for a couple of nights so we'll have EHU).

Jemima has three transverse double beds and the cupboards under the dropdown come down with the bed which is clever :) Stephen loves his "bed in the roof".
Love beamish been three times and stayed on that awful bobby shaftoe site .nice and near but well dated for the money .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Love beamish been three times and stayed on that awful bobby shaftoe site .nice and near but well dated for the money .

And it shuts for the winter :)

We are staying at a CC&C place in Maiden Law. The other alternative doesn't have EHU and at this time of year an EHU is important. We'll drive over to Beamish on Saturday morning and back to Maiden Law in the evening. Sunday night and Monday night we are at the CC site White Water Park and will meet up with family and friends to exchange Christmas pressies - assuming Amazon delivers as promised :) If not I will have to post the stuff that hasn't arrived.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Finally finishe'd off the storage cupboards I started way back.. proved a bit more of a challenge than I thought and pleased to see the back of that job..
Lighting, edging, handles ,and door securing devices all done..
Son in law came round and said that he wouldn't have known they wernt original fit ,so even though that statement may be a bit ott ,I'm happy with the outcome..
20170106_163839.jpg
20170106_163935.jpg

20170106_163957.jpg

20170106_164040.jpg

The door stops and locks to keep the sliding doors secure when travelling.
20170109_221201.jpg

And how they are fitted into the doors
20170110_143456.jpg

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Terry.. @Terry ment to tag you to let you have a look as we spoke about the job a few months back..
It worked out OK. .. thanks for input..
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back