Chausson 514 - Anyone got/had one ( post-15 reg Ford) (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We have a "best of 10". Had a flash 3 before that. Yes they are built to a budget but I think good value. Had ours in 2014 new keep thinking about changing but there's nothing much that looks any better. Small but a lot of space good payload some fragile trim but overall pretty good comared to what I've heard of some others. Ford base so yes we have new locks etc but a lot cheaper than some other mechanical problems insurance seems reasonable.
Looking at values depreciation seems pretty good we'll find out in the end.
The trigano group is huge look them up they must be doing reasonably ok the new autotrail models look like Chausson copies.

Mostly same as above for us. Took grill straight out and blocked up that vent. First MH we bought and don't want to change it, all rattles sorted and the MH does us perfectly well. And before any loading thick end of 800kg payload.

Our local Chausson dealer WILL do a damp only check at a cost of £72. Insurance for us in the region of £300 per year, on drive at home.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Sandancers I'd be interested to know who your local dealer is, as mine is insisting that they must do an annual habitation check to maintain the Chausson warranty and claim this is an instruction from Chausson

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sandancers I'd be interested to know who your local dealer is, as mine is insisting that they must do an annual habitation check to maintain the Chausson warranty and claim this is an instruction from Chausson
You could give Highbridge a ring who are Chausson dealers still I think, I'm sure they would tell you for sure, when we bought our Chausson from them it only had to have a damp check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Not sure if they are acting legally under the “block exemption” laws

Thanks for info though

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Mostly same as above for us. Took grill straight out and blocked up that vent. First MH we bought and don't want to change it, all rattles sorted and the MH does us perfectly well. And before any loading thick end of 800kg payload.

Our local Chausson dealer WILL do a damp only check at a cost of £72. Insurance for us in the region of £300 per year, on drive at home.
Sounds like the grille is a waste of space 😄

Thanks

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now

It's a bit of a long story, but we bought our MH from Tyne Valley MHs, they made a right mess of the first service so after that I took the MH over to Preston MHs for the services. Combined the trip with other stuff. This year of course with CV_19 the MH is not prepped for use, ie no gas in it, water system not cleaned etc. So I thought, how can they do a full service when they can't check those bits ? So why go all the way to Preston for some guy to poke around just with a damp meter and still get charged for a full service?

So I rang Tyne Valley said just want a damp check and they said OK.

Actually, while I am on, it's NOT a service they do it's a check. So they don't service your fridge or boiler they just check that they work, same as the taps they check water comes out of them !!! And even then on our MHs water heater they cannot even see the combustion flame so can't do anything except a flue gas analysis, IF they even do that.

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
Sandancers thanks for taking the time to post the info.

Tyne Valley are the dealer I purchased my new Chausson from last September and its their Service Department who are adamant that Chausson insist on them carrying out the full hab' check every year to maintain the Chausson warranty.

I'm currently trying to arrange to collect my motorhome from them now they have re-opened (it's been there since last November for warranty work which was completed just before the Covid lockdown) so will raise the issue with them again.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes interestingly “light” in the brochure
As you know from the past, I will only be interested in what the scales say, but I don't think payload will be an issue
We weighed ours last year full water (130l) 3/4 fuel full holiday kit I've got the numbers somewhere but I think we had 200kg to spare. That being said we don't have a sat dish and at the time no bikes on.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I read the handbook, the words are slippery.
(i must contact chausson directly and ask.)
i kept asking how does the gas check affect water ingress? Led to Lots of bluster.
and if the somthing in the gas system fails is it then replaced ? Answer no.

It’ appears to be a con.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Sandancers thanks for taking the time to post the info.

Tyne Valley are the dealer I purchased my new Chausson from last September and its their Service Department who are adamant that Chausson insist on them carrying out the full hab' check every year to maintain the Chausson warranty.

I'm currently trying to arrange to collect my motorhome from them now they have re-opened (it's been there since last November for warranty work which was completed just before the Covid lockdown) so will raise the issue with them again.

After reading your post I phoned Tyne Valley MHs, and their reply when I asked them to confirm that the damp check alone was enough to keep the water ingress warranty was "ah, we got that wrong, sorry".

So yeah, they want a full hab check doing to keep your warranty.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It's good regular business & income for workshops at dealerships to have the annual hab. checks for the new Chaussons (or other brands) that they sell or owners in their area so must make them an attractive brand for dealerships to stock. Warranty work can be expensive for manufacturers so can understand them wanting some regular checks to validate shell warranties but that should include some other suitably qualified people not just their stockists otherwise there is little competition on pricing or quality of checks done.
Something to make sure of is that when having a hab. check done that they do confirm that they have done a shell check too & that they have stamped that part of the service handbook as in our experience this is not always automatic even with the most reputable of Chausson dealers! In event of a claim this proof may be needed not just the receipt for a hab. check.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back