chateauneuf du pape (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Never buy it usually buy Lirac it's very close by and as the name is less well known you can get a better one for a lower price. For better value still some of the wines from south west france are good value and a similar blend of grapes. We visitd chateau neuf de pape last year and had a couple of glasses at a bar just to check them out the wine list by the glass was about 12 wines long all with different characteristics.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
What the hell is wrong with a bottle of Chateau Lucozade? o_O Do you far more good then over expensive plonk thats really dump wine with a posh name, and at far less the cost! I mean, if it was call 'Chateau Almost Vinegar', would you buy it? :)

Sorry Tootles, I have a problem with Lucozade. When I was younger, you only bought it in the chemist, coz it aided recovery from illness.
Red Wine aides my drunkeness and helps me sleep. I drink the cheaper one last, coz it could well be vinegar by then.:D:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Red Wine aides my drunkeness and helps me sleep.
Hmmmmm....I see, understand and empathise with your sleeplessness. :( The inability to sleep is a terrible and debilitating affliction. :cry: Have you tried lying down in bed, and getting someone to hit your head with a large mallet? (y) Much cheaper then a few bottles of Sarsons. :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Tried that, They hit me with a full bottle and luckily enough, the neck broke and I could just manage to drink the rest of the bottle.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: and I fell asleep afterwards.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tried that, They hit me with a full bottle and luckily enough, the neck broke and I could just manage to drink the rest of the bottle.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: and I fell asleep afterwards.
I think that somehow my advice is wasted, and that indeed you are a p*ss artiste of the highest grade. (y);)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I think that somehow my advice is wasted, and that indeed you are a p*ss artiste of the highest grade. (y);)

Thanks Tootles, I'll take that as a compliment.
I went on a wine tasting course and after about 12 wines,the course director said, 'what are you getting' I said PISSED:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Tootles, I'll take that as a compliment.
I went on a wine tasting course and after about 12 wines,the course director said, 'what are you getting' I said PISSED:LOL::LOL::LOL:
The only whine I get is from the wife. Thats enough to put me on the wagon for ever. :cry:

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
With the pound going down, No Marmite, Scotland going on and on about leaving the UK, Isn't it great that lidl can sell a bottle of chateauneuf du pape for 11.99:D
Wouldn't give them 1.99 for it. Bloody awful stuff. Geeve mee the cheeap plink evry dey, fuor bottells far 11.99 hic :wine:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was told many years ago, by someone that knew more than a little about wine, that the best rule of thumb is. They do not put good wine in poor bottles. Check the bottom of the bottle and if there is a shallow dimple in the bottle as opposed to a deep dimple, then the chances are the wine is of inferior quality. When purchasing from an unknown supply this has generally been true. Le vendange.
tour of france 018_1.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
That's what I think.

I don't know what all the fuss is about myself.

I got a crate of it in 1991 when I got married the first time. I was told I had to lay it down for x years blah, blah, blah.

(y)
I think they were referring to the first Mrs Chris? ;)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was told many years ago, by someone that knew more than a little about wine, that the best rule of thumb is. They do not put good wine in poor bottles. Check the bottom of the bottle and if there is a shallow dimple in the bottle as opposed to a deep dimple, then the chances are the wine is of inferior quality. When purchasing from an unknown supply this has generally been true. Le vendange.
Congratulations Mr Snowbird this is your 10000 post........that has got to be worth a cheers.....:cheers::clap2:

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I was told many years ago, by someone that knew more than a little about wine, that the best rule of thumb is. They do not put good wine in poor bottles. Check the bottom of the bottle and if there is a shallow dimple in the bottle as opposed to a deep dimple, then the chances are the wine is of inferior quality. When purchasing from an unknown supply this has generally been true. Le vendange.View attachment 128944
:cheers::party2::cheers::party2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My Father-in-Law used to import wine and was a lover of Chateau Neuf de Pape.

When we were travelling in Southern France about 25 years ago we diverted to Chateau Neuf on our way home.

We bought two, ( to us) very expensive bottles from one of the best vineyards in the area. We carried it back very carefully.

At dinner, one night, we proudly presented them to him only to find that both of them were tainted. It would gave been a long journey to take them back.

Since then, the owner of a famous Burgundy vineyard has told us that they have switched totally to plastic "corks" as they don't dry out and, consequently the wine is never "corked".

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Never buy it usually buy Lirac it's very close by and as the name is less well known you can get a better one for a lower price. For better value still some of the wines from south west france are good value and a similar blend of grapes. We visitd chateau neuf de pape last year and had a couple of glasses at a bar just to check them out the wine list by the glass was about 12 wines long all with different characteristics.
Same here,never bought pape as i found Lirac and liked that at half the price.have picked up a few on my way down this week.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Same here,never bought pape as i found Lirac and liked that at half the price.have picked up a few on my way down this week.
We were down that way last year if you are near beaumes de vienise try calling at domaine bouletin nice free spces to stay in but in a yard good wine tasting also the tourist office at rasteau

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back