Chateau recomendations (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
north england
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Hi all.
I am looking for recomendations for must see Chateaus in France.
I realise France is huge but I havnt made my mind up where Im going yet so any suggestions are most welcome.
Would appreciate it if you indicate if they have overnight parking or not.

thanks all

NM

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Have only paid for 2 Versailles and Chaumont. Both have parking nearby (bit of rough or expensive parking for Versailles)

Been to several where you dont have to pay to go through the grounds which is the best part in my view.

Think they are overrated and overpriced but always willing to go round the grounds.

Enjoy whatever you decide to do. La Loire would be a great place to tour for that type of thing

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Wow! First get your piece of string!!

Seriously, there are Chateaux of various types and sizes all over France, but the most well-known and well-visited are those grouped along the Loire. I think there may be 300, of varying ages and style, and many very famous ones. They are mostly geared up for visitors, and some (can't remember which) have overnight facilities, if not in the grounds, then very close by.

See if this helps... https://www.touraineloirevalley.co.uk/discover/loire-valley-chateaux/

If you feel you want to roam further, then hopefully some good advice will be given here, there are beautiful and interesting ones all over the whole of France.

Good luck in your quest.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 19, 2014
Wimborne
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral+ 670SL
Exp
No longer a newbie
Just had a quick look at some notes I made a while ago - Chambord, Chenonceaux, Cheverny, Saumur, Villandry. The ruined, but part (and very well) restored Ch Suscino in the Morbihan had an aire close by.

OP
OP
M
Nov 10, 2012
north england
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
Wow! First get your piece of string!!

Seriously, there are Chateaux of various types and sizes all over France, but the most well-known and well-visited are those grouped along the Loire. I think there may be 300, of varying ages and style, and many very famous ones. They are mostly geared up for visitors, and some (can't remember which) have overnight facilities, if not in the grounds, then very close by.

See if this helps... https://www.touraineloirevalley.co.uk/discover/loire-valley-chateaux/

If you feel you want to roam further, then hopefully some good advice will be given here, there are beautiful and interesting ones all over the whole of France.

Good luck in your quest.
Chuns, thank you for that. Great site for info.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We was there in October. Well worth the visit.
Be aware that parking for motorhomes is 11ā‚¬ whether you stay 4 hours or 24 hours - Of course being a Yorkshire man we stayed the night :drinks:

IMG_20211014_140322.jpg

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Ask at the nearest tourist office for a multi visit ticket, we did I think five paid for two.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
A favourite of mine and a beautiful village with a camp site and an aire right alongside the chateau.

Alternatively at Chinon where Jean d'Arc met the Dauphin and said she could restore France to him. Legend has it that during the encounter, the king and a servant reversed their roles to test Joan's divine inspiration. But the girl recognized the true king among all, despite the disguises.

Lively town, restos, bars and shops.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi all.
I am looking for recomendations for must see Chateaus in France.
I realise France is huge but I havnt made my mind up where Im going yet so any suggestions are most welcome.
Would appreciate it if you indicate if they have overnight parking or not.

thanks all

NM
I would chose a place to go to and then look at chĆ¢teau that are in the area. You might find a theme - chĆ¢teau in wine areas such as the Loire, Bordeaux or chĆ¢teau with more historic association such as those in the Dordogne.

This could help https://www.lelongweekend.com/best-castles-in-france-to-visit/

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Chinon has an ACSI campsite opposite alongside the river. Nice to see it lit up at night and the history is interesting - from our pitch.
View attachment 557360

Yep, lovely site and a ten minute walk over the bridge to the heart of the gorgeous medieval town.

2017-09-12 xx 001.JPG

Plus BBQ's provided in clearings.........(Oh, how I've missed France :cry: )

Oz and T BBQ Chinon.jpg

Oz BBQ 3.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
What about Chateaux Chantilly, North of Paris? It's a stunning Chateaux, but the stables are even more impressive as the Duke (?) believed he was going to be reincarnated as a horse. šŸŽ The chateaux featured in James Bond's A View To A Kill, and there's a lovely racecourse and forest also in Chantilly. šŸ˜Š

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Azay le Rideau and Chenonceau are two of my favourite but Saumur is also good of the dressage horses are on.

3D08AA61-3682-49C8-8B84-104D9E4F7EF5.jpeg
2D8018CB-D843-42F3-8131-EF7B98FCA3A3.jpeg

Oct 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Malibu PVC
Exp
40+ years Caravanning & M/homes
One of our favourites is a bit further south than the Loire, Hautefort Chateau, with free overnite parking behind the Mairie opposite it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back