Chassis repairs (1 Viewer)

travellingphil

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
Hi all,
First time post.
I have some corrosion in the chassis of my Fiat 2.8L Ducato 2006 reg. It is the Cross member and the advisory states "Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced (Front cross member ) 6.1.1.(c)(i) and another some heading but "Offside Front (slight corrosion step.(6.1.1.(c)(i). For both matters i was advised that I did not need to do any by the MOT station.
Any body have any experience of repairs of that nature on the Ducato who can give me an idea of the complexity and cost of replacing the cross member please? It would be useful to have some idea in my head before asking a repair.
Many thanks

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Take the advice of the MOT station....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I would try some of the treatment that stops rust chemically on the headlight area if it hasn't rusted through. Clean up any surface rust and paint it on.

Cross member is a common fault and not difficult to do. from previous posts it seems the hardest part is getting the bloody thing off !!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I can give you specifics regarding this item.

I have our van (In reality a 2005 Fiat front end) serviced by my local garage. However, he is unable to get it on ramps due to the limitations of the garage.

At my MOT last month the 'van failed spectacularly because of rust, no, not rust, partial disintegration! on the front sub frame. I'm assuming that's the part you are referring to.

Well, if it is, you can totally discount the advice by Lenny HB . (And you don't see that written very often on here, if at all.) Morning Lenny:h:

That front cross member is £800+ +VAT. (HOW MUCH!!!)

I tried to get one off ebay and, whilst there were loads of X250 (that's the 2006 2.3 version) ours, the 2002-2006 were missing. As you have been given the 'Gypsies Warning' over yours, I'd suggest you start searching for it now. I did find one for a Citroen at £80 but the Compatibility check said 'No' More qualified peeps on here might wish to comment. Get looking.

The bill came out at North of £1200. 5hrs labour at a decent rate.

So there you have it. It would seem to be a weakness on the X244 for all you guys and gals out there with one. I now have to employ securicor to look after it. It might not have a catalytic converter to nick but my chassis is now covered in diamonds, it's that expensive.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If finding the correct cross member is gonna be difficult or mega expensive, and if you are capable, why not remove the old one and get a fab shop to knock you one up, using the old one as a pattern ?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

I might be wrong Lenny but I think what you have put up is the cross member that fits above the grille at the front of the engine bay.

Whereas I'm talking about the sub frame that fits under the engine bay, holding the steering box and other stuff.
ie;

1597048723336.png

This is from a 2019 Citroen but you get the picture. It can't simply be sent to a fabrication shop and knocked up in a couple of hours (I know you didn't post that comment)
Regards

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I might be wrong Lenny but I think what you have put up is the cross member that fits above the grille at the front of the engine bay.

Whereas I'm talking about the sub frame that fits under the engine bay, holding the steering box and other stuff.
ie;

View attachment 414332

This is from a 2019 Citroen but you get the picture. It can't simply be sent to a fabrication shop and knocked up in a couple of hours (I know you didn't post that comment)
Regards
Yes, that is the subframe but you did say in your OP that it was the cross member, two totally different items. :giggle:

A few S/H ones on ebay that look as good as new for £140 to £150.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes, that is the subframe but you did say in your OP that it was the cross member, two totally different items. :giggle:

A few S/H ones on ebay that look as good as new for £140 to £150.

In my defence Lenny, the first thing I said in my OP was;
At my MOT last month the 'van failed spectacularly because of rust, no, not rust, partial disintegration! on the front sub frame. I'm assuming that's the part you are referring to.

I then went on to mention, "cross member"
My apologies for causing confusion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back