Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all, can anyone help me.
I have a 2005 Fiat Ducato, Swift Sundance 590RS motorhome, I have now experienced a lighting fault with the chassis electrics, as it will be going for MOT soon I decided to check all the lights, if I switch on all the lights, side/tail, hazards, rear fog, reverse & brake lights the problem occurs, the lights go dim/bright & alternate, as a retired motor engineer I thought "easy" bad earth lol, not so easy as I ran a separate cable from the battery earth to the rear light cluster & this did not help, next I checked the voltage at the rear lights, on tail lights I only get 9.2volts, indicator voltage is slightly less, so I thought it will be corrosion in the Fiat/Swift junction causing high resistance, found the rear light wiring loom & it disappears into the chassis box section, however I can't find out where it comes out of the chassis to connect to the Fiat chassis wiring (if it does) , if I can find out where the Swift wiring connects to the Fiat wiring I can test it and if need be run a new 5 core cable to the rear left & right lights, can any one offer any help or assistance please

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Welcome šŸ‘ Sounds like a Job for a pro. You could be on forever trying to track it down. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Popty

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Just need to find the Fiat/Swift chassis wiring interface is, then the rest is easy, new 5 core cable & rewire the rear lights

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
:hi2: :WelcomeFlag:I think I'd go for the option of running new cable, the old cables sound a bit dodgy & I know I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Good luck & please can you keep us posted with how you get on?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
chassis front junction is just behind the uk drivers seat under the van

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just a thought. Is it not "new" enough to be a Canbus system. They are in my experience, prone to even the smallest degradation of the earthing?.

OP
OP
Popty

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Hi all, no junction box at rear chassis rail, cable from rear lights goes into chassis box section about a meter from the rear lights, no junction box under cab just behind driver seat, its not can bus, everything is hard wired, and I have sent a message to Swift but due to covid-19 they are closed till September, that is why I need to try and get a resolve soon as we are away for 3 weeks soon and mot just after we return

OP
OP
Popty

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
Morning all, after a restless sleep last night, I have had another look this morning & I have found some wiring looms, that I think may be for the rear lights ,I removed the plastic footwell covers in drivers side & passengers side & found looms going through the footwell into the chassis, both looms have 5 wires in & am now going to check what these wires do, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this vehicle or know the wire colour codes please

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back