Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all
We are seriously considering changing our RV for one a bit newer. We have spent thousands on Rocky and there is nothing left to do, so as you all know that means it is time to move on and start again :roflmto:
My question is does anyone have preferences between the Chevy Workhorse chassis and the Ford (F53??) chassis. I am really interested to read comments regarding the useability and servicability of these chassis as well as the ride characteristics of both. I have driven a Ford with the 6.8 petrol and although it was briefly, it handled completely differently to our present Chevy P30. The Ford was more responsive whereas the P30 feels a bit vague. I know that you get used to the vagueness of the P30 but if we are going to update Rocky then I feel we should aim at going for a newer chassis as well.
Because I want to keep below the 7500 Kgs weight limit, it would seem that the Oshkosh and Spartan chassis are out, so I believe that our choice is between the two mentioned above. We have a limited budget so we will not be looking at anything really modern or new (I don't do new anyway :roflmto:) and feel that a year 99 / 00 / 01 would be the newest we would be looking at.
Any thoughts and comments please?
Many thanks in advance.

Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi mate for what its worth during our buying spell and all the questions that get asked I do belive Duncan had nothing bad to say all round, about the Ford, I like it anyway
Geo

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Well, you know we are biased towards the Ford, no specific reason really, just personal choice.

Just a thought....if you buy Geo's 2001 Mirada then I can flog HIM the Landau :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

RockieRV

Deleted User
Well, you know we are biased towards the Ford, no specific reason really, just personal choice.

Just a thought....if you buy Geo's 2001 Mirada then I can flog HIM the Landau :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
What a cheek!! I want the Landau - it is just a question of when............:Doh:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
So are we all done with this? Not much advice eh???? ::bigsmile:
Sharon got more replies to her seafood recipe, is this a cooking forum now?
I am sure that there must be someone other than Geo who can comment on their RV chassis ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Pretty please :ROFLMAO:

Keith

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
So are we all done with this? Not much advice eh???? ::bigsmile:

Keith

it would seem that the Oshkosh and Spartan chassis are out,

Sorry mate but you ruled out the two best in your first post .. :cry::cry:

I can't comment on any others, Spartan are IMO the best, but, of course I would say that .. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
The Concord is on a Ford 450 Superduty chassis. I have a Fourwinds Chateau previous to the Concord on the same chassis and i have to say they are superb.:thumb:

I know my RV is only a tiddler by comparison to some of yours but but it handles superbly and is very quick away from the lights!! (Not of course, that i encourage such wreckless behavour:ROFLMAO:).

The Concord handles a lot better than the Chateau did but it weights a bit less and is a lot narrower, it also has the airbags fitted to the rear springs which seems to make a big difference.:Smile:

On the motorway it isnt unduly effected by big lorries or crosswinds and doesnt seem to "wander" around the road very much :thumb:

So there you go then, is that the kind of answers you are looking for????:RollEyes:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks Jim and Dazzer
Jim, I did think you may possibly say that matey :roflmto:
Dazzer is the 450 Superduty used on A Class or just on C Class? We will be going for another A Class, hence the question.
I am guessing that there is not a lot of difference between the Ford and Workhorse chassis, but I am trying to get some advice so I am better informed :Smile:
Thanks again

Keith

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: to be honest (which I try to be most of the time). I have driven pullers, pushers, Ford, Chevy, Diesel, Petrol and LPG. I just get in and drive them. They ALL have their little quirks. :winky:

:Cool: You don't fancy a Newmar Mountain Aire then that requires quite a lot of work doing to it? :ROFLMAO:

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
chassis type

Hi keith,
this is going to throw a spanner in the works! the only 'A' class RV chassis that is under the magic 16500 lbs weight is the chevy/workhorse with coil spring front suspension. the later workhorse and ford chassis's are all 18000lbs and above(some of the earlier ford chassis's that were destined for this country were downrated by the RV manufacturers to be under 16500lbs but that leaves next to no payload).Since last year when the P30/P32/P37 chassis was discontinued there is now no A class chassis under the 7.5 ton limit!
Have a look at the chassis/vin sticker on any RV that you may consider buying and if in any doubt get it weighed when empty.
Dunc.

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for that Duncan, really useful information mate :Smile: Thank goodness that we cannot afford to buy a new RV :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Our next one will be either another P30(ish) or early Workhorse or early Ford, so I am hopeful of finding one under 7.5 tonnes even going to 32 feet, probably without a slide (budget again), and as I do not believe for one moment that I am entitled to drive over 7.5 tonnes with my C1+E license, I will be very careful to make sure that our next coach is less than 16534lbs :roflmto: I do not really want to take a C license test for a multitude of reasons.....
Thanks again mate :Smile:

Keith

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Wouldn't worry about the chassis Keith.

Check out the layout and weights and by the time you have found your perfect next RV the chassis will be whatever it is.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Keith dont worry about a slide have an upstair deck:winky:

Link Removed

Great for entertaining:winky:

Link Removed

Link Removed

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I am hopeful of finding one under 7.5 tonnes even going to 32 feet, probably without a slide (budget again), Keith

:Cool: Keith (Kands). You MUST get it into your head that you CAN buy what you want within the budget that you will have. You just have to go to the USA and buy it. :winky:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Ok all
So now I have been doing some more research and I have discovered that Oshkosh made a pusher chassis with a 32 foot body bolted onto it that weighs in at 16000lbs. Anyone got any knowledge of these, are they common or what?
TIA

Keith

Suzy

Funster
Jul 19, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
No, not mine! I've got a Freightliner - its a full coach for sale at one of the dealers can't just think which one, but probably Travelworld cos thats the one I usually look at!

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks Suzy, I'll have a look around ::bigsmile:, in the meantime has anyone got any info / advice regarding this chassis please?

Keith

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Keith I can only reply regarding Workhorse/Ford. In I believe 1999 Workhorse bought the chevy chassis division, after using the chevy P32 stock they produced their own P32 chassis which was about 12" wider, they then upgraded the frame rails and called them by the "W" prefix W1600 W1800 which refers to the max GVW in pounds except for the W20 which for some reason is 20700lbs.

Having driven a Ford (briefly) I don't think there's much to chose between them, there was a problem with the early 6.8 blowing plugs out, Fords denied any problem but modified the heads from 2002 I believe. The 2003-04 WH had a problem with the Actia display and the GM 8.1 the Fuel pressure valve.

Olley

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Olley
I have recently heard the 6.8 story, quite alarming isn't it? Would really prefer not to go to a petrol, I like the diesels :roflmto:
Thanks for the info anyway :thumb:

Keith

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Keith yes it is, but a helicoil seems to sort the problem out, at least thats what the yanks say.

Not keen on a FRED myself too noisy, I doubt theres many pushers at 30' and under, and certainly under 7.5 would be a problem for a pusher.

Olley

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
.....Chevy Workhorse chassis and the Ford (F53??) chassis. I am really interested to read comments regarding the useability and servicability of these chassis as well as the ride characteristics of both.

Hi Keith

Well, as you know, I can only speak from my extensive database of one ::bigsmile:

We have a 2004 Hurricane on a Ford F53 chassis (& I only found that out from Linda pointing out that F53 figures in the VIN).

The suspension is elliptical springs all round. The steering apparently will not self centre by itself (someone got the castor angles wrong?), so ours is fitted with an aftermarket spring self-centring assist device. The shockers look tiny to me, to cope with an 8.5 tonne vehicle.

The chassis itself looks bulletproof. The chassis rails are truly massive folded steel channels. All the running gear is clearly visible/inspectable, and I guess could be serviced or maintained by any competent mechanic. Big fat rubber bushes everywhere, even several grease nipples on steering & suspension joints (I love grease nipples. So much more sensible than 'sealed for life' stuff that's mega expensive to replace).

As to handling, bear in mind I'm talking from driving this RV only. I've never driven any other.

The handling can most succinctly be summarized in one word - crap. It rolls, pitches, sways, corkscrews - it's an atrocious ride on anything other than smooooth roads. The best thing that can be said about the handling is that it encourages you to stay below 55mph. Above this the body roll gets alarming, but more to the point, so does the fuel consumption.

I have complete faith in the brakes. Although they appear to be simple non-ventilated discs, I have been down long descents in the Pyreanees and the Sierra Nevada with no suggestion of fade. I drive such that I do not need to brake hard, but the pedal effort is very light and deceleration easily controllable.

I am now beginning to notice a tendency in normal driving for a pull to the left. I think this is tracking, as the brakes don't seem to be binding. The left side tyre has quite a bit less tread on it than the right hand side. Not that I hold this against the chassis itself.

So there you go. Obviously, I've come from a background of driving cars & motorbikes, so I'm going to notice a bit of difference:Eeek:. But suffice it to say I've ordered some rear airbags from Linda to try & improve the body roll on our admittedly overloaded bus.

I hope you get as much fun with your new beast as you have had with the old - will look forward to seeing it when you are sorted.

Cheers

Bruce

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks for that Bruce. So they all drive like a fairground ride then??? :roflmto:
Oh well, you pays yer money and you takes yer chances :ROFLMAO:
Looking forward to meeting up again soon mate, have you seen that we have booked Parc Verger sometime next year? We are going to assault France once more ::bigsmile:
Take care both

Keith

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
Hi Keith

Yeah, look forward to meeting up. I also quite fancy the Parc Verger gig :coolthumb: don't know how they're fixed for space? Have to talk to Marion ::bigsmile:

I'll be interested to see what you buy next!!

Cheers

Bruce

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry mate but you ruled out the two best in your first post .. :cry::cry:

Hi Keith

The handling can most succinctly be summarized in one word - crap. It rolls, pitches, sways, corkscrews - it's an atrocious ride on anything other than smooooth roads. The best thing that can be said about the handling is that it encourages you to stay below 55mph. Above this the body roll gets alarming, but more to the point, so does the fuel consumption.

Well, there you have it, buy one with a Spartan chassis .. what more can I say to convince you ? George is rock solid mate ... :thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Bruce I don't think your steering is not self centering, the reason for fitting the centering device is to counter the play in the steering box which causes the steering to wander, and effects all RV's, I have spoke to Duncan about this but at £800 odd notes its too much money at the mo.

The problem is caused by the steering box which uses a recirculating ball system, unlike cars which use rack and pinion. On an MOT steering boxes are allowed free play, rack and pinion arn't.

Olley

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
That would be great news mate ::bigsmile: Shall we put you down in the diary as interested then? :roflmto: You can bring Marion along, she will just love it, just blame me :roflmto:.... Last time we spoke to the site they had some spaces left, so you would be advised to call them if you want to meet up, you will be able to crawl over our new coach by then (we will have one in time :ROFLMAO:).
Let me know what you think mate....

keith

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Well, there you have it, buy one with a Spartan chassis .. what more can I say to convince you ? George is rock solid mate ... :thumb:

:ROFLMAO: To heavy Jim........... Sadly........... That is why I was asking about the Oshkosh chassis, as I believe that they did a 16000lb model?
Not much info out there though......

Keith

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
Well, there you have it, buy one with a Spartan chassis .. what more can I say to convince you?

But no slideout, Jim. Now there's a choice - handling or slideout. Think I'll take the slideout, since I spend more time living in the van than driving it.

Shall we put you down in the diary as interested then?

Yes please Keith!

Olley, it seems to me that any chassis that benefits from an aftermarket 'fix' is suffering from a design failure. Given the price of an RV, would an OEM rack & pinion steering system represent an unacceptable increment? I suspect a more fundamental flaw in kingpin geometry, BTW.

Bruce

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back