chartes aire or campsite (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have stayed at the site many times. It is a municipal and takes ACSI so it is reasonably priced. Easy walk into the old part of the city and the lights are great, but take a torch for the last bit of the walk back by the campsite as it is poorly lit compared with the rest of the path. The St Pierre church with its fortified bell tower is well worth a visit, it's older than the cathedral, but check the opening times (from my bad memory its only open in the afternoons).
The last bit of the climb to the cathedral is steep, but if you don't mind looking a nelly there is one of those silly land trains goes up.

The site does some takeaways, pizza chips etc if you don't feel like cooking.

Haven't heard any tales of anyone being robbed, though a fox did steal the remains of some pate I left on a table outside, it gave me the trots so I can only feel sorry for the fox.

We have never booked, it does get busy but its quite a large site so you can always squeeze in.

I don't know what the toilets/showers are like as I never use them but SWMBO does and she hasn't complained about them, unlike some further south.

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Well we made it to Chartres - twice - both going and coming back. The city light show was great and well worth it. So was St Pierre Church (also lit up at night) Regarding the site - on the first visit in September all was well. The ground nice and dry with well cut grass, toilets reasonably clean and a fairly busy site. We did notice a number of vans parked in the layby some 300 mtrs down the road and went to explore. While all appeared well we did think it a tad close to the road so could be noisy at night/early morning. On our return visit things were quite different. There had been a fair amount of rain so all the ground was very very muddy and like a previous poster commented the management advised staying on the road rather than use pitches. (but didn't offer a discount) This placed a different light on the site and had this been our first visit it would have been our last as clearly it was "end of season blues" so things weren't in tip top condition. We also had to walk the long way around to get to the city as the bridge across the river was closed and being repaired.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We did notice a number of vans parked in the layby some 300 mtrs down the road and went to explore. While all appeared well we did think it a tad close to the road so could be noisy at night/early morning.
Every we have stayed there always been very quiet.

Nov 15, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
20+ but 30+ as a tugger
Every we have stayed there always been very quiet.
You are probably right Lenny. We didn't actually stay there and when we walked by it was rush hour. We usually pass by Chartres sometime in Jan or Feb on our way south and as the campsite is usually closed this aire would be a good stopover or at least an alternative to St Andre-de-l'Eure

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back