Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hi all,

I'm not really sure which forum to post on as I'm not now a funster in the motorhome sense - but yesterday I bought a nice little car in a "black friday deal" which saved me a lot of money, so maybe I qualify as wheeled funster? My plans being when all my personal stuff is sorted out I will hire one (that's if we're not at war with the EU by then lol).
Anyway wanted to update you on young Charlie; he's going from strength to strength and has become a firm favourite with everybody around the town, dog walkers or not, due to his overwhelming desire to meet everybody and his frantically wagging tail which I don't think has stopped since I rescued him!
Somebody here commented that he looked "a cheeky chappie" and how right they were! His best wheeze to date was scoffing a whole plate of fish and chips whilst I was at the door talking. He must have negotiated the route via my armchair, the coffee table and then a decent jump. Nothing on the table was spilled or knocked over and he was back where I left him when I returned but with a slightly guilty expression! I didn't reprimand him as it was my fault, and I expect when he was a stray in Plymouth that's how he survived.
One of his other favourite tricks, which he discovered by accident, is to roll his ball over towards the TV cabinet, and then push it with his nose behind the TV. I then have to get out of the chair and pull the whole unit out to retrieve it, having done so I turn around to find him in my chair! Suffice to say that's been remedied now as allegedly I'm of greater intelligence...
He's got a delightful nature and though we share the armchair he always hops out when he thinks I'm moving towards it. A friend has described him as "1 in a million" which I think he is. Soon it'll be walkies along the coast path and on the moors again, once I get the car. In the meantime we've enjoyed some fantastic long walks around the countryside near the town, and I've probably discovered places I would never have gone to. The weather has cooperated and been very dry until just recently, now it's gone dry again.
As you can see his fur has grown back well - just in time for the winter. We're off for a nice long walk over the hills next.
P1000632.JPG

P1000644.JPG
P1000637.JPG

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years

Your late girl sounds like a wonderful companion too - pity they don't have lifespans closer to ours. I can confirm that he's on dental chews once a day as you say - at bed-time. Also he's on Arden Grange dry HyperAllergenic healthy dog food, mixed with a little Cesar to make it more attractive, he's lives better than I do - some of those Cesar meals look quite yummy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi @roadster55 , how nice to see an update on Charlie.
I seem to have missed your posts about selling MH or even about your trip to France. Might have to do a quick "stalking" search :D
Edit, have found your last post. Sorry to read about what has been going on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
To an alsation X a Cesar would be like a snack - probably swallow it in one gulp!
Fortunately Charlie likes travelling, so good for the car and I love the Cornish coast in winter before all those crowds arrive LOL.
Also have found several motorhome hire firms that allow a small dog. When we did use the camper before selling it, he loved it - ran around all over the place and kept popping up in different places and looking out of different windows every time I looked in the mirror.
He's been very good for me and I don't think I'd have been able to do this without him TBH. Dog's have a way of making you forget your troubles don't they? Also they make you laugh with their crazy or crafty antics. Priceless.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
My daughter's dog, also Charlie, needs hypoallergenic food. She has recently found a range of canned food though that does not seem to irritate him. I do not remember what it is called, but can find out if you are interested.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Roadster I replied to your older thread then found this one!!
Great to hear life is on the up!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
It must be nice now,to hang the mirrors up again,now his coat has.... RE-GROWN!:ROFLMAO:. That was NOT a Coat Clip,it was a SCALPING. As you have said,he is clever,now "Hair styles?" Is there one called a Bobbit ! Sleep with one eye open for a while,he could be planning revenge.
Glad things are looking up for you and....Him:LOL::LOL::LOL:.Enjoy your walks together,nothing is better at getting people to stop and talk,than a good dog.
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Please, please, please STOP feeding your dog Cesar! It is one of the worst foods there is ... my vet hates it! It is full of fat/sugar etc that is not good for dogs, much better with a cheap one than some of these expensive 'special dog' ones!

We are feeding ours Dylan at the moment (59p a 1200g tin from Farm Foods!) which they are enjoying, they get half wet and half dry food to give them the roughage they need and also help to keep their teeth clean.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Well I'm loathe to change it as it seems to suit him. It's only a tiny bit of Cesar at a time anyway - I think if you asked every dog owner about the best food for their pet then you'd get a different answer each time, truth is dogs are like us and every one is different.
If I used a big tin then it'd be hanging around in the fridge for too long too. One other thing, I've owned dogs since I was 20 something, I'm now 57! GSD, Lurcher, Greyhound, late mum's Spitz and now this Cavachon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
The "scalping" was necessary because his coat was matted and knotted all the way through and the only way to be able to get a comb through it was to take it all off and start again - or knock him out.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
The "scalping" was necessary because his coat was matted and knotted all the way through and the only way to be able to get a comb through it was to take it all off and start again - or knock him out.
Had to be done! As he had been neglected before you got him I think you've done a great job and you've bonded so well. lucky Charlie and lucky you!(y)

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Thanks Anthea - yes the lesser of 2 evils, also as luck would have it we had a heatwave to coincide with his clipping, and lo and behold he was one of the very few dogs still scarpering about all over the place comfortably in the sun, most of the others were panting in the shade and probably wondering how he was managing it...

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
My daughter's dog, also Charlie, needs hypoallergenic food. She has recently found a range of canned food though that does not seem to irritate him. I do not remember what it is called, but can find out if you are interested.

That wouldn't hurt Annie, though TBH my vet says Cesar is fine for small dogs and his opinion was "if it ain't broke don't fix it" when it comes to itchy dogs. The combo at the moment is working very well and was what he was on at the rescue home, as apparently other types made him itchy.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Forgot to mention Charlie and the bamboo screen; have got a little backyard/courtyard garden as I'm a ground floor flat. Unlike Kimberley he's quite happy to wee out there. Like me he's got a weak bladder so we're made for each other - when I get up in the night so does he!
Anyway each time he's let out in the evening (not in the middle of the night fortunately) he gets seriously excited as I unbolt the door, then shoots out like a rocket, headbutts the bamboo screen and then proceeds to have a fight with it! Result is I now have a bamboo screen that is mostly gone up to the height of him!
Luckily in the night he's as drowsy as I am and that schmozzle doesn't happen. It's always me that gets up too - he'll never get me up.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Even I didn't recognize him (mind you I hadn't had him long) when I collected him from the clippers - I was like where is he? Meanwhile this little black and white dog was jumping up at the gate to get at me lol.
Anyway the weather turned seriously hot after that and it actually worked out perfectly in the long run. The vets have said it's a good idea to get Cavachons clipped in the summer as their coats are very dense. I've got photos of him at various stages as his coat regrew - so I can say to the clipper "this one please".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back