Charlies guide to Waxes. Sealants and Polishes. (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
Hi Ci Riviera Aluminium sides. Is it ok to polish then rub with Colinite 476S. Is that ample care?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Very interesting thread.

I was going to post a question to Charlie the OP about out specific MH exterior surfae until later on in the thread he qualified his advice by the fact that his experience is with cars and PVC.

My question is does the advice hold good for ourMH, which is built of allo/foam/alloy sandwich and the exterior of which is powder-coated?

Any advice please?

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Geoff

@nicholsong the outside skin of the N+B would be the same as most motorhomes so any general advice would hold true, the powder coating is really quite tough I think.

All I have ever used to Polish ours up a bit is Autoglym Super Resin by hand #hard work, I find it good for removing black streaks and it buffs off easily, when I waxed it with high definition wax I thought that black streaks showed sooner than just doing it with the Super Resin every now and again. I know people say that the Super Resin offers no protection but it all I have used on cars for many many years and always been happy with the beading.

After saying that I have just ordered a trade pack of Autoglym Aqua Wax so will see how I like that.

PS good to see you one here Geoff, it took you long enough:xrofl:

Martin

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Geoff

@nicholsong the outside skin of the N+B would be the same as most motorhomes so any general advice would hold true, the powder coating is really quite tough I think.

All I have ever used to Polish ours up a bit is Autoglym Super Resin by hand #hard work, I find it good for removing black streaks and it buffs off easily, when I waxed it with high definition wax I thought that black streaks showed sooner than just doing it with the Super Resin every now and again. I know people say that the Super Resin offers no protection but it all I have used on cars for many many years and always been happy with the beading.

After saying that I have just ordered a trade pack of Autoglym Aqua Wax so will see how I like that.

PS good to see you one here Geoff, it took you long enough:xrofl:

Martin

Martin

How are you doing, what plans for 2017?

Thanks for info. As you can see I first registered as a Member(non-sub) in 2009 but have spent most of my serious time on MHF, and N+B Owners, and Fruitcakes for a laugh, but I am just trying this forum out as a full member.

Geoff

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin

How are you doing, what plans for 2017?

Thanks for info. As you can see I first registered as a Member(non-sub) in 2009 but have spent most of my serious time on MHF, and N+B Owners, and Fruitcakes for a laugh, but I am just trying this forum out as a full member.

Geoff
Hi Geoff

We are both fine thanks, and the old Flair just keeps chugging on (I say old but it's only 11 years) 2017 is a bit "fluid" at the moment as Jen lost her Dad this Year so things are a bit up in the air with her Mum.

I don't think you will want for much on FUN, loads of information some of it even useful and plenty of banter for sure.

Martin

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Ci Riviera Aluminium sides. Is it ok to polish then rub with Colinite 476S. Is that ample care?

I'm assuming you have aluminium sides that are painted ?

If ultra care must be taken at the polishing stage. Fair bet says your paint will be single stage which is a paint without the lacquer that is more often found on conventional car bodywork.

This means you have just one layer to go at and bear in mind paint does not nor cannot be as robust as on steel primed bodywork.

In short you should use a low cut polish applied by machine at low speeds on a soft pad. Or of course by machine.

Colinite 476S is an all round wax suitable for almost any surface so perfect for your application.

FJ Mike is your man when it comes to Motorhome surfaces so the above is my interpretation only.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
I didn't polish just used Collinite on ours from new and the black streaks just wipe off, incredible stuff.
Just done mine today using Collinite 476S, knackered but the stuff is so easy to use.
Have washed, dried and waxed from top to bottom and it now looks great. A big thank you to Charlie and others that have given very informative threads to help us all get a great result.
Ray

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I didn't polish just used Collinite on ours from new and the black streaks just wipe off, incredible stuff.

There is often no need to polish Larry. It's good yes but not Always required.

The black streaks will not be anywhere near as difficult to remove but will form less as the slick surface makes any contaminants less able to stick in the first place.

Plus your surfaces are protected, what do we mean by protected ? Well the UV rays from the sun for a start. As above muck won't stick easily and stuff like tree sap and bird lime especially don't stick as much and in the case of bird lime it is way less likely to mark. Bird lime shrinks on the surfaces and pulls the top together and deforms said surface. High quality wax means this is unlikely to happen.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There is often no need to polish Larry. It's good yes but not Always required.

The black streaks will not be anywhere near as difficult to remove but will form less as the slick surface makes any contaminants less able to stick in the first place.

Plus your surfaces are protected, what do we mean by protected ? Well the UV rays from the sun for a start. As above muck won't stick easily and stuff like tree sap and bird lime especially don't stick as much and in the case of bird lime it is way less likely to mark. Bird lime shrinks on the surfaces and pulls the top together and deforms said surface. High quality wax means this is unlikely to happen.

There is one addition that's worth it @Charlie and that is self adhesive guttering just below roof line on sides and back which concentrates run off and therefore black streaks just on the corners , so much easier for keeping clean.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back