Charlies guide to Waxes. Sealants and Polishes. (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have always used Autoglym HD. I have now bought a couple of tins of the 476. Normally I would just wash the van and then wax. As I would be changing wax do I need to use a wax remover?
Thanks for asking the question about solar panels I was going to add that!!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Jeeeeeeeeeez...

My head hurts reading this thread.

I think I will just leave my van grubby.

(After I have used up my plastic container of MER.)

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Having read, perused and inwardly digested the info provided by all you lovely people (y) out there,

I've got a question.... This is mainly for @FJmike and @Charlie, though I'd welcome any input.

My lovely RMB looks like it drove out of the factory yesterday despite having over 120,000 km on the clock that's taken in everywhere from Morocco to Nord Kap. The owner for the last ten years being a sailor and RMB being glassfibre on the outside he has always used marine products on her, specifically AWN products
a nano sealer. So two questions :-

1) Will using snowfoam well diluted as per Charlie's instructions strip off this coating?
2) Does anyone know of an equivalent, most of the nano sealers I can find seem to be cleaner/sealers and Wolfgang is very insistent that the 'cleaning part'should be kept to an absolute minimum
3) Has anyone else had long term experience of nano-sealers and what did they use/how effective were/are they?

I quote Wolfgang :-
You should watch (and differentiate) between the products "cleaning" and "sealing". Cleaning means a emulsions with more polish-agents only if necessary when the surface has to be refreshed, more or less polishing is required, with "erosion" of the surface of the upper layer(!). Many friends of mine in the sailor-community have had polished the hull of their yacht "to death". That means, the first color-layer on the fibreglass-laminate is degraded (for ever). Therefore I recommend a nano-sealer, no matter whatsoever the manufacturer is.
To apply the fluid (with circular motions) with more or less pressure – up to the grade of soiling - I recommend cotton wool (as for polishing cars).
For the real polishing after the nano-liquid dried (and "bonded" to the surface) I have used old (cotton) towels. As I wrote some weeks before, to protect windscreen, engine bonnet, headlamp glass and solar-panels and skylights in same Procedure is my tip.
unquote.

If you look in the RMB Forum you will see pictures of RH taken end of last year. When I picked her up in March, she looked just as good, I can only describe the finish as immaculate and I'd dearly love to keep her that way.

Of course if I do just have to go to Germany at least once a year to stock up on nano sealer (as well as schwarzvald kirschetorte and black riesling I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it :):))

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Used correctly IE mixed weak snow foam will not strip wax.

Trust me all the "nano" products are an expensive folly that will do no more and IMO less than a good wax.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @Charlie & @FJmike just stumbled on these threads as I was looking for info on Valeting not realising it was now called Detailing. As we want to do a good clean and protect job on our new-to-us Hymer. Our old van was a LeVoyageur and totally Polyester so very much more forgiving of scratches. The paint finish of the Hymer looks much less forgiving. So... Where can a non Professinal get these obviously professional products you mention in this thread and all the other ones Charlie is running. To make it worse for me we live in France so can only get the usual stuff found in the equivalent of Halfords here. So I would have to order it all and hen get it shipped out by my son.
For example I was overjoyed to find hard car wax in Lidl which seems very much like the old Simonize wax we had years ago and it seems to work well. Would the one you recommend above be significantly better or even the Lidl one be harmful. Same applies to many other retail items.
If we coat the van with the Lidl wax now then get hold of the one you recommend when we visit the UK next spring for the Peterborough show would we have to strip it all off somehow or could we just give it a thorough wash and apply the new wax. Sorry if this is a really dumb question. My usual system is a good wash with Fenwicks then some CarPlan wash n wax.
Steve

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi @Charlie & @FJmike just stumbled on these threads as I was looking for info on Valeting not realising it was now called Detailing. As we want to do a good clean and protect job on our new-to-us Hymer. Our old van was a LeVoyageur and totally Polyester so very much more forgiving of scratches. The paint finish of the Hymer looks much less forgiving. So... Where can a non Professinal get these obviously professional products you mention in this thread and all the other ones Charlie is running. To make it worse for me we live in France so can only get the usual stuff found in the equivalent of Halfords here. So I would have to order it all and hen get it shipped out by my son.
For example I was overjoyed to find hard car wax in Lidl which seems very much like the old Simonize wax we had years ago and it seems to work well. Would the one you recommend above be significantly better or even the Lidl one be harmful. Same applies to many other retail items.
If we coat the van with the Lidl wax now then get hold of the one you recommend when we visit the UK next spring for the Peterborough show would we have to strip it all off somehow or could we just give it a thorough wash and apply the new wax. Sorry if this is a really dumb question. My usual system is a good wash with Fenwicks then some CarPlan wash n wax.
Steve

Firstly there is no such thing as a bad wax or product only there in today's world of detailing much better ones. We now understand far more than we used to and are able and happy to share it in this world of the Internet . It's because of this world you my friend should be able to get your hands on any product in fact when the pound is strong against the dollar I buy my kit from the USA and despite shipping have saved a lot of money ! You will find most of my threads inform of only value for money products. That said if a product is good yet expensive buy it. It can and often does work out not only cheaper but can save much time and effort.. Colinite wax is a top example of not only a very affordable wax but one of long durability so saving not only money but time !

To strip your old wax use a very very strong mix of car shampoo and water. Claying is better but I'm bearing in mind the many surfaces on motor homes and of course the size. Mike will tell you far more about the many surfaces on MHs as he has way more experience than me !

There is no such thing as a dumb question but not asking is nearly there :D

Detailing is really just an extreme version of valeting. If I'm detailing a car for a concourse show the levels we go to are extreme. Removing wheels and polishing not only the fronts but the backs for example. Cleaning brake calipers to an anal level and just about every component on the vehicle. I have spent a week entirely on the machine polishing alone on a vehicle. (y)(y)

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Firstly there is no such thing as a bad wax or product only there in today's world of detailing much better ones. We now understand far more than we used to and are able and happy to share it in this world of the Internet . It's because of this world you my friend should be able to get your hands on any product in fact when the pound is strong against the dollar I buy my kit from the USA and despite shipping have saved a lot of money ! You will find most of my threads inform of only value for money products. That said if a product is good yet expensive buy it. It can and often does work out not only cheaper but can save much time and effort.. Colinite wax is a top example of not only a very affordable wax but one of long durability so saving not only money but time !

To strip your old wax use a very very strong mix of car shampoo and water. Claying is better but I'm bearing in mind the many surfaces on motor homes and of course the size. Mike will tell you far more about the many surfaces on MHs as he has way more experience than me !

There is no such thing as a dumb question but not asking is nearly there :D

Detailing is really just an extreme version of valeting. If I'm detailing a car for a concourse show the levels we go to are extreme. Removing wheels and polishing not only the fronts but the backs for example. Cleaning brake calipers to an anal level and just about every component on the vehicle. I have spent a week entirely on the machine polishing alone on a vehicle. (y)(y)
Hi Charlie I used colonise 476 on our Motorhome, what a product! I have always been a fan of Harley wax but this is a step up again, not quite as easy to apply as Harley wax but the end result is as good if not slightly better, and I hope the durability is better than Harley wax. I did polish it in the sunshine but I found I used nearly three parts of the tin , I think I must have done parts of the roof about six times going up and down a ladder I forgot which bits were done. I am currently in a field in the middle of France and washed the whole van, an auto trail scout with one bucket of water a brush and four micro fibre cloths . 3000 miles worth of lies came off with very little elbow grease. I recommend this product to anyone , thanks Charlie

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie I used colonise 476 on our Motorhome, what a product! I have always been a fan of Harley wax but this is a step up again, not quite as easy to apply as Harley wax but the end result is as good if not slightly better, and I hope the durability is better than Harley wax. I did polish it in the sunshine but I found I used nearly three parts of the tin , I think I must have done parts of the roof about six times going up and down a ladder I forgot which bits were done. I am currently in a field in the middle of France and washed the whole van, an auto trail scout with one bucket of water a brush and four micro fibre cloths . 3000 miles worth of lies came off with very little elbow grease. I recommend this product to anyone , thanks Charlie

Follow the simple stages on application of Colinite and it's as easy as any wax on the market. Deviate though and it can be a pig !

Do me a favour and ditch the brushes ! I know some including Mike uses them but he will make certain he has the right ones. There are few that are up to the job the rest will or at least have the potential to inflict much damage ! Soft microfibre cloths much safer. Brushes for experts microfibres for the rest of us ;)(y)(y)

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
It worries me more that Steve only used one bucket of water :whatthe: . This can only result in damage, the more water the better and if you can't use lots of water it's better to wait until you can

Reactions: f6c

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
personally I don't believe any of it.. However, if you want to come round clean and polish my van to prove it to me Ill make sure im in.;)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The brush I use is a yellow bristled fluffy one from halfords, any good ?

I don't know mate I won't use a brush even on wheels let alone bodywork ! It's not how they start when new it's when they age. Bit like old fashioned chamois leathers. Rubbish when new destructive when they get old hard stiff :eek: and knackered :D:D

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I don't know mate I won't use a brush even on wheels let alone bodywork ! It's not how they start when new it's when they age. Bit like old fashioned chamois leathers. Rubbish when new destructive when they get old hard stiff :eek: and knackered :D:D
I take on board what you say about microfibres cloths, but I have trouble cleaning the nose above the cab, so it's a brush for me on that part at least

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I take on board what you say about microfibres cloths, but I have trouble cleaning the nose above the cab, so it's a brush for me on that part at least
Steve I'm a wee bit blinkered sometimes in my posts this is because we have a PVC.. So reaching while not easy is nowhere near how difficult it must be for most of you. In addition to this I post on detailing on quite a few car forums and forget sometimes the relevance to motor homes when I post here on this forum.

My background is of course cars leaving me much to learn about the specifics of motor homes . PVCs don't have the multiple and often complex laminates used on MHs in general. I think I'm talking either cars or the type of van we have. But in a way it's all relevant in so much as care should be taken no matter what the vehicle type or its value.

So how do I clean and treat the top of our PVC. Firstly I clayed and machine polished it. Then waxed it. The surface is now slick which means with a long reach 90 degree jet wash extension I just foam it and power wash it off taking care of course round the usual stuff on the roof. (y)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've always been a bit of a stickler for cleaning & waxing my vehicles, one little tip that I was given years ago was to use instant shoe polish on tyre's or any black work. The kind with the little foam applicator built in. Don't use the scuff cover, it doesn't contain the waxes that are required & just washes off. This wax add's UV protection & lasts for about 6 or 7 months, the water even beads off the tyre's. A pleasant side effect is that you don't get black streaks, especially if you use it around window rubber's etc. The cheapest seller are Morrison's supermarkets own brand & its every bit as good as the more expensive makes.

Here's an example on one of my vehicles from a few years ago.

Reactions: f6c

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i like and use autosmart new image . it does have a very fine cutting but seems to work really well . on real show or custom vehicles i like their carnubia wax .
but my truck gets two or three new image wipe on wipe off do,s a year. the trailer once a year. works for me . in winter in spain giving the truck a polish in the sun is ideal its like exercise and a clean truck and get a tan all rolled into one .

Last edited:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
After washing, as I had Bobby Dazzler I put it in a squirt can double strength and coated the whole car, left it for a couple of minutes and hosed off, absolutely brilliant, the water just ran off.
So.... Motorhome next but may try to get some Collinite 476 first.
Thanks for your great tutorials and @FJmike of course.
Steve

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
After washing, as I had Bobby Dazzler I put it in a squirt can double strength and coated the whole car, left it for a couple of minutes and hosed off, absolutely brilliant, the water just ran off.
So.... Motorhome next but may try to get some Collinite 476 first.
Thanks for your great tutorials and @FJmike of course.
Steve
Bobby dazzler is just an aqua wax, such as Demonshine. Unfortunately it doesn't last very long, however if you wax your van using Collonite 476 then use the aquawax after cleaning, it will help to keep your van looking good. Where I live the water is very hard (Thames water) so using an aquawax helps as it makes drying the van with micofibre drying towels so much easier.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
This question of wax keeps coming up time and time again. But many it seems are struggling separating what is a wax what is a sealant and what is a polish.

Hi Charlie - I'm reading your thread with great interest and gratitude.

Mention has been made to different paints and general finishes - would you actually recommend different products for different Motor Home manufacturers finishes or do they generally follow each other - any exceptions to the rule as far as your are away?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi Charlie - I'm reading your thread with great interest and gratitude.

Mention has been made to different paints and general finishes - would you actually recommend different products for different Motor Home manufacturers finishes or do they generally follow each other - any exceptions to the rule as far as your are away?

I really can't advise on which products specifically suit the many laminates and finishes on so many motor homes. My field is automotive paint which is relative to the cabs of our vehicles or the whole thing in the case of PVCs . Caution though decals need care !

Mike tells me some of the cabs painted white have single stage paint so again caution must be taken !

With waxes and sealants I would say all are safe and no damage can be done to either the cabs or the panels on MHs. It when we polish the game changes as the wrong polish can wreak havoc ! Again caution when polishing near to decals ! Decals should be taped/masked and never polished.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I really can't advise on which products specifically suit the many laminates and finishes on so many motor homes. My field is automotive paint which is relative to the cabs of our vehicles or the whole thing in the case of PVCs . Caution though decals need care !

Mike tells me some of the cabs painted white have single stage paint so again caution must be taken !

With waxes and sealants I would say all are safe and no damage can be done to either the cabs or the panels on MHs. It when we polish the game changes as the wrong polish can wreak havoc ! Again caution when polishing near to decals ! Decals should be taped/masked and never polished.
Um ooooops

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @Charlie and all,
I have read most of these threads with great interest.
Everything here in France is really expensive but we are having a quick 24hour trip to the UK for a funeral so have ordered Collinite 476s, shampoo, detailing liquid, application pads clay bars and microfiber cloths to be waiting for us in the UK but in none of the threads did I see what Polish to buy except one where Charlie said that the old favourite MER was old fashioned but no suggestion of exactly what polish to use, unless I missed it. I will have to buy it retail now as there is not time to get it online so a quick trip to Halfords or Euro Car Parts where I am getting the Meguiars Shampoo, Detailing Liquid & clay bars. Couldn't order the Snow Foam thingy as I have an old Lidl pressure washer and no Idea of what fitting it is. So will just have to be very careful with the initial washing.
So... Any suggestions what make of Polish I should get and from where between SevenOaks and The Tunnel. We have a Hymer A class B614SL Star edition in Champagne with gold detailing. (Must change avatar)
Thanks for any suggestions.
Steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are going to try claying and have the machine to do it then you won't need an extra polish, as that's what the clay does. But I've used Autoglym and it was easy to use and readily obtainable. The Collinite wax is excellent, probably the best single product of all the suggestions.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi again,
Just seen that Euro Car Parts do a number of Meguiars polishes, any suggestions which if any is best or just stick with MER from Halfords despite Charlie's comment. He didn't say it was bad, just old fashioned. But thousands still use it.
I did the car the other day with what I had on hand then got dusty rain from the Sahara over night. So will see today if it is easier to clean.
Steve

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @DBK,
Thanks for quick reply but you have me confused, @Charlie only seemed to use a machine for polishing and a clay bar by hand for super finishing after polishing and before waxing. Unless I am having a super oap session and miss-reading everything.
Steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi @DBK,
Thanks for quick reply but you have me confused, @Charlie only seemed to use a machine for polishing and a clay bar by hand for super finishing after polishing and before waxing. Unless I am having a super oap session and miss-reading everything.
Steve
You are absolutely right - when I get up in the morning I really should just leave my brain in the jar I keep it in every night. Putting it back in my head is a waste of time.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/charlies-guide-to-claying.116847/

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi @DBK ,
Yes applies to both of us, I have just re-read Charlie's guide and it seems he is suggesting; wash, dry, clay (using lubricant), polish with a machine then wax.
It is really making me tired just reading about all this, but looking at Charlie's Photo's of his old runabout van it looks to be worth it, hope so I've spent about £100 so far but probably have enough for the rest of my life.
Steve

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
My little Kia, washed with halfords shampoo, then given a coat of auto glym super resin polish , then a final coat of colinite 476, very happy with it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 39

Join us or log in to post a reply.