Charlies guide to MH & Vehicle washing. The correct way (1 Viewer)

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
I've been reading this thread with interest, @Charlie, and appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Our elderly Talbot Express suffers from black streaks on the bodywork and it's quite difficult/time-consuming to remove them. What's your advice?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you may find you can cut that cost in half . they are in a pack of 18 for about 3 quid .
mind last time i bought some they were white or yellow . sounds daft but i prefer the red or blue ones . but have a look.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
@Bobby22, we're glad that you have an alternative view to Charlie. It would be an awful world if everyone had the same opinions. We too were dubious about using a power washer and had you not raised doubts then we would not have got a fuller explanation from Charlie. So, thank you, and we would hate you to feel ostracised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I've been reading this thread with interest, @Charlie, and appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Our elderly Talbot Express suffers from black streaks on the bodywork and it's quite difficult/time-consuming to remove them. What's your advice?

All vehicles suffer from black streaks. They are far more noticeable on slab sided vehicles though ! Its just the muck dust and rubbish that falls from the sky.

But applying a nice quality wax like Colinite will make them far easier to remove. Damn streaks can be a pain to remove but the microscopic layer waxing leaves means the streaks are on that layer not on the surface of the vehicle. Wax is slicker so easier to remove the streaks.

Polishing and claying before waxing also make quite some difference but to clay and polish a big vehicle takes quite some time and inclination ! I have done our van but its a tiddler compared to many vans here on this forum .. Plus Im mad enough to do it ... :D

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Bobby22, we're glad that you have an alternative view to Charlie. It would be an awful world if everyone had the same opinions. We too were dubious about using a power washer and had you not raised doubts then we would not have got a fuller explanation from Charlie. So, thank you, and we would hate you to feel ostracised.

I will second that... :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm not getting into the @Charlie v @Bobby22 debate, I admit total ignorance, so I do need to (politely and genuinely) ask this.

Charlie, you state that your expertise is in car detailing, not in motorhomes. You said
My speciality is paint . I understand paint fully and know what will and will not damage it.
But my MH isn't painted, it's white plastic (GRP). It has panels stuck together with some sealant that, according to FUN posters, appears to be prone to coming unstuck & causing damp &/or leaks.
Are you saying that the same method of cleaning that's suitable for cars and panel vans applies to this method of manufacture?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes use the same polishes .
i can say i,m conversant in paint and composite construction vehicles .
in the ideal world dont pressure wash joints and around windows . like many things in life common sense is required . i say dont even use a garden hose with a nozzle on that gives a jet.
but regular waxing or these days liquid polishing . is the key.
polishing is reallyu done with various abrasives , then waxed . liquid waxs are called polishes these days .
i very often use a spray n shine . by astonish car care. ideal for that very quick clean up.
not as good as real wax but works .
grp can be made to shine really well if slight abrazive polishes are used first.
i used to build fibre glass trikes and finish to show standard . and fit grp high tops to campers .

Reactions: f6c

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks @vwalan (y)
Currently we use (well, Him Indoors uses) Fenwick's in a 1 litre spray bottle, clean water, and a mix of microfibre mitt & m/f cloths. I'm not sure that wax or polish comes into it ..... :whistle:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but wax or modern liquid polish will as charlie says help the stains get removed easily .or easier .
i,m not a fenwicks fan i think its too expensive for its job .
seems a trip to trago and get some polish might be coming your way. ha ha .

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I guess - though I do get claustrophobic in Trago :( too much stuff, too many people (n)
Not having any product knowledge means we'll go for whatever's said to be made specifically for the job, until we're convinced that something else does the job just as well or better :)
The whole MH only takes about 30ml of Fenwick's so I don't think the cost is too much of a problem really ;)
Might have to have a chat with Him Indoors about wax/liquid polish though :whistle:

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I'm not getting into the @Charlie v @Bobby22 debate, I admit total ignorance, so I do need to (politely and genuinely) ask this.

Charlie, you state that your expertise is in car detailing, not in motorhomes. You said

But my MH isn't painted, it's white plastic (GRP). It has panels stuck together with some sealant that, according to FUN posters, appears to be prone to coming unstuck & causing damp &/or leaks.
Are you saying that the same method of cleaning that's suitable for cars and panel vans applies to this method of manufacture?
I'm saying that with care yes... I said take care in post one. You are astute enough like many to realise care must be taken whether a say or not..

You are correct my experience is with automotive. Plus boats and Jet Skis.

I think no matter what tool we use whether it's a power washer or a food mixer a certain amount of common sense has to be used. That is exactly why I say in most of my posts what my experience is. And why I say take care.
It's prudent to try a product on a small preferably unseen area if at all unsure

We are talking about cleaning with care if you like. Pretty much all automotive products are safe on the various components used to build coachbuilt motor homes.

I have often seen members here on other forums talking about using Tcut on the panels of coach builds. This is nothing short of dangerous as its petrochemical ingredients will yellow GRP and a lot of the composites used on modern and older MHs..

I think what people must remember is all I am trying to do here is help. I ask many daft questions about things related to motor homing cos I haven't got a clue. In this field I have experience so try to give a little back for the advice I'm often given.

To anyone who knows better then start another thread and show us how ? It's easier than questioning and dissecting what I've written.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I guess - though I do get claustrophobic in Trago :( too much stuff, too many people (n)
Not having any product knowledge means we'll go for whatever's said to be made specifically for the job, until we're convinced that something else does the job just as well or better :)
The whole MH only takes about 30ml of Fenwick's so I don't think the cost is too much of a problem really ;)
Might have to have a chat with Him Indoors about wax/liquid polish though :whistle:
if out and about keep your eyes open for the autosmart van . they really only supply garages but will often sell a tin to customers . or have a word with a local garage . mind there is some autosmart new image on ebay cheap at the moment .
5 ltrs lasts years .

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Pretty much all automotive products are safe on the various components used to build coachbuilt motor homes.
Thanks @Charlie .
@vwalan - I think my neighbour drives for autosmart (I'm not totally sure because this is 'neighbour' as in "owns the field next door" not "lives next door" :D ) so I may just have a word, cheers (y)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Autosmart do some really good products.

But please use the Trade stuff with caution ! Their wheel cleaner for instance is acidic and if left to dry can and will permanently mark wheels. It's acidic/corrosive nature strips the components behind the wheels of any paint finishes. It MUST be really well rinsed off !!
Because it's a trade product AS assume you will know this.

Good products but extra extra care must be taken.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Great post, and as one who hates washing cars, let alone the MH, this looks well worth a try!

I've got a Nilfisk pressure washer and I see that the same Ebay trader you showed does a snow foam lance attachment for them.

A quick question on the snow foam - the stuff you linked to was Cherry with wax, and the listing says it's slightly alkaline. Does that make any odds, is pH neutral better? Does the wax actually do any good? Shame it only appears to be made with a cherry smell, I hate cherries, I'm sure I can put up with it though if it's the best one!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Great post, and as one who hates washing cars, let alone the MH, this looks well worth a try!

I've got a Nilfisk pressure washer and I see that the same Ebay trader you showed does a snow foam lance attachment for them.

A quick question on the snow foam - the stuff you linked to was Cherry with wax, and the listing says it's slightly alkaline. Does that make any odds, is pH neutral better? Does the wax actually do any good? Shame it only appears to be made with a cherry smell, I hate cherries, I'm sure I can put up with it though if it's the best one!

I linked to an economical snow foam so as to cater for everyone. All snow foams contain ingredients to make them work. If there is a foam without these ingredients it won't work. This is why really good rinsing with a power washer is recommended .

Do not rely on waxes in any shampoo or snow foam.

Google Autobrite Magifoam. It has almost no smell and is a top quality foam. It's quite expensive though in comparison to the one I linked to above .

The connector for Nilfisk is the same as for Karcher.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I have a Clarkes Jet 5000 and looking at the bayonet fitting it looks very much like the Karcher but I've come unstuck before when buying online when things look the same but aren't. :cautious:

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I have a Clarkes Jet 5000 and looking at the bayonet fitting it looks very much like the Karcher but I've come unstuck before when buying online when things look the same but aren't. :cautious:
All of the EBay sellers will advise which is the correct fitting for each individual machine.

All these lances are exactly the same and ALL are made in the same factory no matter what they look like or what coulor they are.. So just buy the cheapest ones you can find .

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
@Charlie thanks for these guides.

I have been thinking about getting all the kit for a while now and this has helped me consider what I need. Some questions if I may.

I would like to snow foam - you have indicated adding some car shampoo. Is Mer OK to use in this mix?

After a rinse with the pressure washer, I was thinking of then using a clay pad, like this, prior to polishing:

Broken Link Removed

Any thoughts? I was also going to use Demon Shine as a lube to use with the pad - yes or no?

Finally, whilst I know that you recommend Collinite 476 wax, any thoughts on the 845 which is marketed as an on/off (no machine required).

Thanks

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
The cost of the lance is minimal. Please note you need a pressure washer and when ordering the lance you need one with the correct fitting for the make of washer you have. Please ask if unsure and I will advise. Charlie
Hi, again, @Charlie. Our Karcher is quite old but still in very good condition. It's a Karcher 211. Which foam lance should I buy, Please?

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Hi, again, @Charlie. Our Karcher is quite old but still in very good condition. It's a Karcher 211. Which foam lance should I buy, Please?
i have just bought a karcher lance for a 2..something and it fits, I believe that they are all the same i.e. karcher fits all, mine certainly did.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
@Charlie thanks for these guides.

I have been thinking about getting all the kit for a while now and this has helped me consider what I need. Some questions if I may.

I would like to snow foam - you have indicated adding some car shampoo. Is Mer OK to use in this mix?

After a rinse with the pressure washer, I was thinking of then using a clay pad, like this, prior to polishing:

Broken Link Removed

Any thoughts? I was also going to use Demon Shine as a lube to use with the pad - yes or no?

Finally, whilst I know that you recommend Collinite 476 wax, any thoughts on the 845 which is marketed as an on/off (no machine required).

Thanks
yep my question too
what shampoo and polish

Got the snow foam and its FAB(y) also bought a new lance and its much better than the karcher one

come on charlie where are you ;)

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!

Broken Link Removed

Have a look at the Bilt Hamber clays, they only need water as a lube.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I should add - Collinite 870 also looks like a great way to do a quick wash n go as it were. Expensive and hard to find in the UK. But I dare say after a good wax, every month or two this may be suitable for most people as it washes and waxes at the same time (supposedly).

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Have a look at the Bilt Hamber clays, they only need water as a lube.

Thanks. To be fair I assume most bars probably only need water (irrespective of what the manufacturers say) to do the job.

What I should have said is that I was going to not hand wash (2 bucket method) after foaming and bar with demon shine as its only 2 quid a bottle in Asda, which I would hope leaves the MH clean in preparation for a good wax.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
i have just bought a karcher lance for a 2..something and it fits, I believe that they are all the same i.e. karcher fits all, mine certainly did.
Thanks, @bubble63, but there seems to be two types: -
Karcher Lance.JPG
or
Karcher Lance     K Series.JPG
and I don't want to order the wrong one. I emailed one of the sellers yesterday but he hasn't replied, so if he doesn't respond today then he's lost a sale! I'll leave it until lunchtime and then, if there's still no reply, I'll try someone else.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
My marcher is a B102 plus and about 10 years old, I purchased the one in the second picture with the black adjuster on the top. Fits and works a treat.
Purchased from i6auto on eBay . See today price just dropped from £18.29 to £15.99

Last edited:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Thanks, @sweetie. I've emailed four eBay sellers and not one has had the courtesy to reply! What is wrong with people these days? I asked @Charlie if he knew which lance I needed for my Karcher 211 but he hasn't replied either. :(

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
yep my question too
what shampoo and polish

Got the snow foam and its FAB(y) also bought a new lance and its much better than the karcher one

come on charlie where are you ;)

Sorry !!! The system did not inform me of replies to this thread !! Though part time now I do also have a business to run .......
I always respond to PMs as many will testify. I Never ignore I promise !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back