Charlies guide to MH & Vehicle washing. The correct way (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Since 2017
The joy of being new here is that I can bimble around older threads and find such brilliant information. Big thanks to @Charlie for all he has shared on washing our vehicles.

Have just ordered 5L of Valet-Pro solution (because that is what seemed to be recommened at the beginning of the thread) and a foam lance .... cannot believe I am actually looking forward to washing the cars!

Question for Charlie if he has a moment please - whilst looking around at the 'obvious' large online retailers I kept finding (disgustingly?) scented and coloured solutions a lot cheaper than the Valet-Pro. If something seems too good to be true, this cynic usually assumes it is so I had a firtle around some car forums and read that the colour solutions are risky on white or light-coloured vehicles. Yikes! The fleet here is white tow car, white caravan, soon-to-be-delivered white motorhome, and a dark grey Scooby that husband is keeping 'cos he likes driving it :)

Is that true? If a coloured solution could damage a white car what the h*ll could it do to a coachbuilt motorhome body??

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you keep your vehicle highly polished and wash it regularly a snow foam lance may be all you need. But I and a few others I think, have found it doesn't remove what I would call "traffic film". For that a cloth or sponge is still needed.
My technique is to snowfoam the MH which removes some of the muck then go over it with car shampoo in a bucket with a sponge. Rinse off and dry with a microfibre cloth. A final touch with a detailing spray is nice but not essential. :)

Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
deleted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am surprised you recommend a pressure washer on a MH, especially over joints etc. Thought a garden hose would be a lot better and safer. Fine underneath to get rid of salt etc maybe.
The foam lance uses a pressure washer but you can't do any harm with the foam - it comes out with no force at all. Rinsing it off with a pressure washer is a different matter. Keep the business end well away from the paint surface and nowhere near decals or fridge vents and you won't to any harm. But you must know what you are doing and are very careful. If you don't trust yourself then by all means use a garden hose. :)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure if @Charlie is still reading these threads but if not can anyone else offer advice. Whilst I have every admiration for the 'detailing' enthusiasts who are out there on a weekly basis keeping everything gleaming, I get my foam lance out now and again to use. The problem I have is that the flow from the lance would suggest prostate problems. It tends to be no more than a dribble.

I then set about taking the mechanism apart to unblock it. Invariably the brass block which does all the clever stuff will be showing areas of corrosion which affect the flow through the jets. By the time I have done all the dismantling, cleaning, prodding and poking, then reassembling the apparatus, the time I had set aside for vehicular pampering will have flown by (must be having fun! :(

Eventually I give it a quick swill and try to put everything away before darkness has made it all impossible.

Is the only answer repeated use of the equipment faster than the corrosion sets in? Or maybe someone produces a system with the block made of plastic so no corrosion?

Any suggestions appreciated (except frequent use! :eek:)

Wyn

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Generally the only bit that gets clogged up is the filter.
This only needs attending to maybe every six months depending on your usage.

The rest of the body should be brass if its one of the dearer ones and doesn't need much looking after.

I used to use the two bucket method for cleaning but now ill snow foam and swill off then use the shampoo in the lance to apply then use lands wool mitt to clean. Swilling the mitt after every panel in my clean bucket.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure if @Charlie is still reading these threads but if not can anyone else offer advice. Whilst I have every admiration for the 'detailing' enthusiasts who are out there on a weekly basis keeping everything gleaming, I get my foam lance out now and again to use. The problem I have is that the flow from the lance would suggest prostate problems. It tends to be no more than a dribble.

I then set about taking the mechanism apart to unblock it. Invariably the brass block which does all the clever stuff will be showing areas of corrosion which affect the flow through the jets. By the time I have done all the dismantling, cleaning, prodding and poking, then reassembling the apparatus, the time I had set aside for vehicular pampering will have flown by (must be having fun! :(

Eventually I give it a quick swill and try to put everything away before darkness has made it all impossible.

Is the only answer repeated use of the equipment faster than the corrosion sets in? Or maybe someone produces a system with the block made of plastic so no corrosion?

Any suggestions appreciated (except frequent use! :eek:)

Wyn

Bump (now Charlie's back :xThumb:

Wyn

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Generally the only bit that gets clogged up is the filter.
This only needs attending to maybe every six months depending on your usage.

The rest of the body should be brass if its one of the dearer ones and doesn't need much looking after.

I used to use the two bucket method for cleaning but now ill snow foam and swill off then use the shampoo in the lance to apply then use lands wool mitt to clean. Swilling the mitt after every panel in my clean bucket.

All of the brass type lance bodies are exactly the same they are all produced at the same factory whether they have fancy coloured plastics and are expensive or the normal black plastics and are cheap...

In addition to the filter there is a chrome jet on the water intake in front of the water supply tube, this benefits from a blow out every now and then. Plus the mixture supply pipe which goes into the bottom of the lance can clog as it’s unfilteted and draws up the foam/water mix and any fine particles that get into it. To clean just pull off the plastic tube get an 8mm deep socket remove the brass restrictor jet and blow it though.

Lances benefit greatly after a ten minute strip and clean.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I've said this before in another thread - however I will repeat it for any views @Charlie might have about this treatment:

https://paintsealdirect.com/

I don't have to use any polishes at all - just their weak shampoo to clear the harder grim and it comes up like new :)

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've said this before in another thread - however I will repeat it for any views @Charlie might have about this treatment:

https://paintsealdirect.com/

I don't have to use any polishes at all - just their weak shampoo to clear the harder grim and it comes up like new :)

Have you used this? I’ve known a few that have been talked into some sealant or another at purchase of a new or used van. But always disappointed that it doesn’t seem to last as long as promised.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have you used this? I’ve known a few that have been talked into some sealant or another at purchase of a new or used van. But always disappointed that it doesn’t seem to last as long as promised.

Yes - had it put on at about 3 months old - it's same stuff that they treat private jets with for same purposes - mines lasted over 14 months now and I think it's guaranteed for at least 5 yrs. it's not cheap but I'm very pleased with mine - easy to just shampoo fly kill off front as well! Have a look at the website :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes - had it put on at about 3 months old - it's same stuff that they treat private jets with for same purposes - mines lasted over 14 months now and I think it's guaranteed for at least 5 yrs. it's not cheap but I'm very pleased with mine - easy to just shampoo fly kill off front as well! Have a look at the website :)
I'm guessing it was £500+ to have applied?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Not wishing to diss the sealant miracle products but in over 30 years detailing I’ve yet to find one that works...

So many claims are made with this claim or Nano this or that but the reality is they can be extremely short lived.

I know I harp on about quality waxes but in my experience they are far better last longer and cost very little. It is possible to spend a lot of money on waxes as well but as it is IMO the best wax for the purposes here is just twenty quid a tin...

Worth noting for anyone who have these products applied is Polish if used will absolutely remove anything applied. Waxes are completely different to polishes and do two completely different jobs .

Reactions: f6c

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not wishing to diss the sealant miracle products but in over 30 years detailing I’ve yet to find one that works...

Worth noting for anyone who have these products applied is Polish if used will absolutely remove anything applied. Waxes are completely different to polishes and do two completely different jobs .

I haven't been doing it as long as @Charlie but I agree these sealants appear to be over hyped.

Also as above re polish there always seems to be confusion, it removes "stuff" and wax protects :)

Reactions: f6c

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm guessing it was £500+ to have applied?

I had two done with Ceramic gen3 - mine at £799 and @HippyRockChic @£499 - they took a full day at my home and we got £200 discount. Their website gives full pricing details :)

@Charlie - I only shampoo with their product and absolutely no other foams detergents polishes etc :)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I haven't been doing it as long as @Charlie but I agree these sealants appear to be over hyped.

Have you tried the Paintseal ceramic gen3? - we live in a technological age with advancements in all areas of our lives - good to keep an open mind and be prepared to accept change :)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I had two done with Ceramic gen3 - mine at £799 and @HippyRockChic @£499 - they took a full day at my home and we got £200 discount. Their website gives full pricing details :)

@Charlie - I only shampoo with their product and absolutely no other foams detergents polishes etc :)

Cool. Even to much shampoo can degrade any products laid over the surfaces . But I suspect you know that’s(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back