Charlies guide to MH & Vehicle washing. The correct way (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Time and time again I see comments about how we clean our precious Motor homes. Some use waterless products some don't. I DONT !

Here I will show exactly what I use and how to use it.

The following kit will revolutionize the way many of you will wash your vehicles . The outlay if you have a pressure washer is minimal. The time and effort saved is huge. With respect a few here are not so young so minimal effort is a bonus.
A Huge bonus is these devices are excellent for cleaning the roofs of MHs !

So the procedure.

Cleaning a vehicle using a foam lance .

A foam lance is really designed to clean a vehicle before hand washing. But doing it this way will be more than enough for most people. They/you will foam your MHs then finish off by wiping the windows with a micofibre towel or a drying towel job done. Please NEVER use chamois leathers they scratch !

This in effect gives a non touch wash to your vehicle .

See here for an idea of the process.

The cost of the lance is minimal. Please note you need a pressure washer and when ordering the lance you need one with the correct fitting for the make of washer you have. Please ask if unsure and I will advise.

The snow foam lance
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=141695688395

The snow foam solution.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=110859550723

You fit the lance to your PW and in the lance bottle you put 1/1/2 inches of the solution. I then add a dash of car shampoo and fill the lance bottle with warm water. You are now ready to go. Please note. Adding more than the advised amount of solution to the lance bottle will give to strong a mix and this will remove any waxes applied to the vehicle.

I clean all my vehicles using the above. Its fast efficient and best of all easy.

During summer months I do this as a pre wash and after foaming and power washing I hand wash then rinse for a perfect finish. Most as said above will be happy with the foam wash but I'm fussy !

During winter I foam and power wash only. I never hand wash during the mucky months. I wash in winter to rid the vehicles of salt and silicates that get on the vehicles. Anyway they look like tom tit within a day in the winter months.

I mentioned above drying towels. Drying towels replaced Chamois leathers years ago. They are soft Extremely efficient again very easy to use and do not scratch you paint !!

Drying towels
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=251597453459

Trust me when you try the above method of cleaning you will wonder why you haven't been doing it for years.

CAUTION. Please when power washing take care when near to vents on your vehicles. Also some graphics and Decals should be treated with care..

Any questions just ask

Charlie

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Charlie; in fact just washed both van and the Jag using that method. Very easy. One point is that cheap microfibres drying towels are rubbish - pay a bit more for a good one. (y)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I will pass this information on to Juan David, he needs a tip or two on keeping the Town car up to scratch.
Any advise on improving his driving standards would be greatly appreciated, the agency drivers are more professional.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
May I ask a question please @Charlie ?
How do you get rid of bugs from the bodywork and windscreen?
I tried some Autoglym bug remover spray and it was rubbish, most bugs remained after two applications.
Also, I spoke to my local car valet who suggested applying Caravanbrite (by Diamonbrite) to my new MH - costs £250 and he said it would last a lifetime.
Thanks in advance!
Robert

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Bucket and sponge extending brush & get some exercise at the same time bugger the pressure washing :)
You've been watching me then, thats how I do it. I rarely bother drying it and I leave the pressure washer for the Land Rover.
I also use AutoGlym bug remover, it seems to work for me, the amount of bugs you get on the front of the van in Summer driving 1000+ miles in France is incredible. The bug remover shifts them all.
But, I would also add that a good polish all over a couple of times a year helps in shifting muck and bugs and stops water marks appearing on the paintwork when it dries.

Mr and Mrs Batty

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cherokee
Exp
Since 2010
Very good post for people with pressure washers. We have a verbal cleaning method in our house however. Lesley shouts '' Neil the van needs washing or the rugby won't be on the TV later''.
Neil swears and goes out and washes the van by hand !

Seems to work - wonder what will happen after the world cup ??!!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
May I ask a question please @Charlie ?
How do you get rid of bugs from the bodywork and windscreen?
I tried some Autoglym bug remover spray and it was rubbish, most bugs remained after two applications.
Also, I spoke to my local car valet who suggested applying Caravanbrite (by Diamonbrite) to my new MH - costs £250 and he said it would last a lifetime.
Thanks in advance!
Robert

These so called wonder treatments are complete and utter rubbish. Dealers make money on them. They are the only ones that gain..
A large garage in Worcester used to offer a paint protection to their customers at a cost of well over £300 . I used to get the sponges which contained wax and when punctured allow that wax to come out onto the car for 5 quid..

Process was damp the sponge puncture the section on the back and rub it over the car. Time for application roughly an hour it tea breaks are taken.. For 300 quid ?

Bugs on windows just need water as hot as you can handle and a nice soft sponge. Wet the screen and wait five minutes before washing them off. None of the so called window treatments are going to make any difference to this no matter what they claim.

Bodywork. Well bugs or anything wont stick as badly on the bonnet of the car/vehicle if its well waxed. But again its wet them with warm water allow them to soften then wash away.

There are so many fringe products that claim to do so many things but the reality is they are just re branded re packaged cheaper products but sold for far more of you money.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks Charlie; in fact just washed both van and the Jag using that method. Very easy. One point is that cheap microfibres drying towels are rubbish - pay a bit more for a good one. (y)

The way to decide if a drying towel or micofibre is suitable is to try the CD test.
Take a blank CD and wipe it with the cloth. If it marks it its no good. If it doesn't its fine.

The blue drying towels I linked to are very good. I chose those because I know them well . They can be bought under various brand names for a lot more money. Same product just more coin.

Costco do a pack of 36 excellent microfibres for 11 nicker. Just as good as anything on the market only well priced.

Mico fibre towels should Always have the labels removed before use. Said labels can scratch.

Never use fabric softeners on any microfibre products. It makes them go hard and ruins them in no time. (y)(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The way to decide if a drying towel or micofibre is suitable is to try the CD test.
Take a blank CD and wipe it with the cloth. If it marks it its no good. If it doesn't its fine.

The blue drying towels I linked to are very good. I chose those because I know them well . They can be bought under various brand names for a lot more money. Same product just more coin.

Costco do a pack of 36 excellent microfibres for 11 nicker. Just as good as anything on the market only well priced.

Mico fibre towels should Always have the labels removed before use. Said labels can scratch.

Never use fabric softeners on any microfibre products. It makes them go hard and ruins them in no time. (y)(y)
Thanks - useful info on the CD test. Got a car "club" (just a bunch of us going back a few years) dinner meet coming up next month and the Jag will have to be gleaming by then.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Thank you Charlie for great thread! All 3 items mentioned now ordered and should be with me later this week.
Just need to muster up the energy to get it done.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I have a pressure washer and wouldn't let it near my vehicles.

My tried and tested method of washing my van is to use Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner. Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler, an extending vehicle washing brush and a 5 litre spray bottle. Garden hose.

After a recent 10 day tour of the West Highlands, bugs midges moths and all.
I used the system on my van with the greatest of ease.

Method....

Fill 5 litre spray bottle with warm water, use ONE CAPFUL of Fenwicks Motorhome cleaner in the bottle.

Spray a section of the van and allow to work for 30 seconds to 1 minute. ( don't let it dry) , brush over with extending brush. Rinse off using low pressure garden hose.

Repeat until the van has been done all round. Finish with a rinse.

Next fill your 5 litre spray bottle with cold water and ONE CAPFUL of Bobby Dazzler and spray all over van and leave to dry.

If you live in a hard water area you may wish to dry it.

I wash my van regularly,and it is clean and shiny, with minimal effort.

It could also be washed away from home with very little water....ie at a storage unit.

I also use the system on a black pearlescent finish on car only change is i always use a new sponge on it.

No need for bug sprays or anything else.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=181390402433

One of thes chaps is all thats needed. £7.99 @ B & M

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Maybe we need a wash off at a meet .. :whistle:

I have to side with Charlie on everything hes said here. Some great posts by someone who knows what he's talking about.

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Hi Charlie love the the posts what car shampoo do you use I will trying this method fed up with cleaning car m/home and 5 minutes down the road looking no different in the winter,I agree in the winter months all about keeping muck and salt off

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I will give this a go as i normally use Hose with long brush attached with compartment for shampoo/wax. It does work but it is hard work, if this makes it easier than it will be money well spent.

both ordered :)
Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
also ordered the three items

.. the foam lance and cloths arrived two days ago, but still waiting on the foam ..

ebay seller said it should be here today..will report back when tried out

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Very good post for people with pressure washers. We have a verbal cleaning method in our house however. Lesley shouts '' Neil the van needs washing or the rugby won't be on the TV later''.
Neil swears and goes out and washes the van by hand !

Seems to work - wonder what will happen after the world cup ??!!
Errrrrrrrrrr, Neil the van needs washing or your tea won't be on the table later, or even worserer sex won't be on the menu later :eek: :LOL:

Reactions: LAM
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Got the three items yesterday and washed both the cars this morning. Brilliant! Can't wait for them to get dirty again......

Only problem was that after I had assembled the water hose, extension lead and pressure washer, found they were just long enough to reach the cars in the drive, filled the foam lance, tested it and it worked, like a fool I said how pleased I was that for once, a job was going well. Bang! The hose split at the tap and I had to dig out the freshwater hose out from the van to actually wash the cars. Next time I keep my mouth shut.....

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Same as you Jim still waiting on foam! Just checked and driver done his 40th drop I am drop 53.
Now what shall I do? Try it out or load fishing gear up for tomorrow?(n)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Same as you Jim still waiting on foam! Just checked and driver done his 40th drop I am drop 53.
Now what shall I do? Try it out or load fishing gear up for tomorrow?(n)

ha ha ..drop 70 for me.. we live beyond the sticks.. :LOL:

my delivery is on drop 63 ...

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
These so called wonder treatments are complete and utter rubbish. Dealers make money on them. They are the only ones that gain..
A large garage in Worcester used to offer a paint protection to their customers at a cost of well over £300 . I used to get the sponges which contained wax and when punctured allow that wax to come out onto the car for 5 quid..

Process was damp the sponge puncture the section on the back and rub it over the car. Time for application roughly an hour it tea breaks are taken.. For 300 quid ?

Bugs on windows just need water as hot as you can handle and a nice soft sponge. Wet the screen and wait five minutes before washing them off. None of the so called window treatments are going to make any difference to this no matter what they claim.

Bodywork. Well bugs or anything wont stick as badly on the bonnet of the car/vehicle if its well waxed. But again its wet them with warm water allow them to soften then wash away.

There are so many fringe products that claim to do so many things but the reality is they are just re branded re packaged cheaper products but sold for far more of you money.

Not true. I have had two cars done now, a second hand Jag and a Fiat 500. I had the Jag for about 5 years and never polished it once but every time it got washed and rinsed it looked as though it had been very highly polished and the water just ran straight off it. I have never paid £300 for it as I get it thrown in as a freebie towards the end of negotiating on the price. I would highly recommend it.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
ha ha ..drop 70 for me.. we live beyond the sticks.. :LOL:

my delivery is on drop 63 ...
Arrived at 14.58 But at the moment the fishing is winning, was not sure about putting foam on in lovely sunny conditions in case it dried to quickly.

Beyond sticks Jim next stop from mine is north sea.

Steve

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Maybe we need a wash off at a meet .. :whistle:

I have to side with Charlie on everything hes said here. Some great posts by someone who knows what he's talking about.

sdc77 How do you know that he knows what he is talking about?

For your information and for the information for other Motorhome fun members, i would advise that they read their manufacturers handbook before they endeavour to follow power washing their motorhome

In mine under the heading cleaning there is a big bold warning panel that reads

Quote:-
WARNING : Under no circumstances use any abrasive cleaning or solvents on the exterior.
Do not wash your motorhome with a high pressure washer as these can permanently damage the seals of your motorhome.
Care should be taken as the silicon in some polishes can attack the rubber used on the exterior for seals and gaskets. Unquote.

Is this " snow foam " tried and tested on motorhomes.....it is slightly alkaline.

In my opinion it's not how quick and easy it is, it's about making informed decisions and not damaging my motorhome in the long term.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
sdc77 How do you know that he knows what he is talking about?

For your information and for the information for other Motorhome fun members, i would advise that they read their manufacturers handbook before they endeavour to follow power washing their motorhome

In mine under the heading cleaning there is a big bold warning panel that reads

Quote:-
WARNING : Under no circumstances use any abrasive cleaning or solvents on the exterior.
Do not wash your motorhome with a high pressure washer as these can permanently damage the seals of your motorhome.
Care should be taken as the silicon in some polishes can attack the rubber used on the exterior for seals and gaskets. Unquote.

Is this " snow foam " tried and tested on motorhomes.....it is slightly alkaline.

In my opinion it's not how quick and easy it is, it's about making informed decisions and not damaging my motorhome in the long term.
I thought the same about power washers when I read it. OK I think for a PVC if used carefully around windows and vents but a typical coachbuilt is made like a caravan and the seals where the panals meet may not be up to a bit of jet washing.

But used carefully it should be fine and MH instructions are probably written to ensure there can be no come back on the manufacturer if the owner does something too enthusiastically.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I've tried that method after being shown by a detailer on my car.. it works. I don't for one minute think that anyone is suggesting power wash like they do at a hand car wash.. I'm sure if you used a hose to wash it off then it would achieve the same result . The power washer is just more versatile and required to apply the foam (so you already have it out)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Perhaps I should fill in the gaps.
But before I do perhaps I should explain my experience with automotive detailing.

My speciality is paint . I understand paint fully and know what will and will not damage it. I have been to dozens of detailing / car meets all over Europe doing demonstrations on machine polishing.
I wrote as a technical author for many years for one of the largest detailing manufacturers in the world .
I have been trusted with cars ranging from a few hundred quid in value to ones costing more than most people's houses.
So perhaps I have half an idea what I'm talking about.... Who knows.

I advised above to TAKE CARE when using pressure washer near a motor home. I said quite clearly that Decals are or can be prone .

I also advised to USE A WEAK MIX when washing and why.

A power washer is perfectly acceptable and in fact a massive aid when cleaning big vehicles .

I naturally assume most on here are not stupid....

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I think if you fit the foam bottle to your power washer, it reduces the actual lance pressure considerably, or at least it does on mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back