Charlies Guide to Claying.... (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I see here often people mentioning the use of a clay bar. Claying is an important part of ultimate paint preparation. But even if you are not that super keen detailer the benefits are significant.

Below I will try to explain a bit about why we do it and the results of doing so.

What Does Detailing Clay Remove?
Your vehicle is under constant assault from airborne pollutants. Brake dust, industrial fallout, acid rain deposits and rail dust all can adhere to your vehicle. These contaminants often contain metal particulates, which accounts for the ease with which they penetrate the clear coat to attack the paint below. These contaminants then oxidize, and they allow rust to spread beneath the clear coat. Tiny orange spots today, total paint system failure tomorrow! Detailing clay removes these contaminants in order to keep the paint healthy and vibrant.

Detailing Clay also removes stubborn sap, tar, and bug remains. Detailing clay works wonder on glass as well. Try some the next time you’re washing your windows. You’ll be amazed at the results!

Do You Need To Clay?
Chances are, the answer is yes. The surface of your vehicle faces assaults from the environment every time it’s out in the weather. Each road trip brings new insults from roadway debris, exhaust films, and airborne pollution.

1. Wash and dry your vehicle.

2. Spray a small area with clay lubricant, no bigger than 2 square feet.
  1. Gently rub the clay bar back and forth across the wet area. It will grab at first. This means that it is pulling contaminants out of the paint. When it glides
    freely, the paint is clean.

2. Wipe the area with a fresh clean micro fibre towel and use the clay lubricant to remove any clay residue. Rub your fingers across the paint now; it should be as smooth as glass. If it’s not, repeat the process. Reshape the clay bar as needed to expose a clean surface. Keep the clay well-lubricated.

3. Continue these steps until you’ve clayed the entire vehicle. Clay does a marvelous job on glass and chrome, too !!
Some of the above are not my words. I have copied them to illustrate the reasons we clay without the need for me to sit here one finger typing for ages.

But its all relevant . One big thing to remember is ALWAYS use a lube when claying ! Even if the suppliers say otherwise the risk of doing it with water alone is far to great ! I suggest a mix of Meguires Last Touch spray Detailer. Mix 50/50 with water and spray as you clay. Never allow the clay bar and/or surface to dry. This can and will inflict marring to the surface.

Here are a couple of pictures which may help with understanding the reason we clay.

This picture shows the surface before claying.

The next picture shows the surface after claying.

There are several grades of clay bar available. Always use the least aggressive you can get ! It may take a little longer to get the result but its much safer that way !

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks for another excellent post @Charlie

Can I ask a couple of questions please?

1, Should you clay decals?
2, Is it OK to use on fibreglass
3, Do you have any particular reccommended place for getting the clay and the lubricant

Jon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for another excellent post @Charlie

Can I ask a couple of questions please?

1, Should you clay decals?
2, Is it OK to use on fibreglass
3, Do you have any particular reccommended place for getting the clay and the lubricant

Jon

NO.. Do not clay decals. Treat them as you would when polishing.

I always mask off decals when polishing. The same logic applies to claying !

Yes you can clay fibreglass as it has a gel coat. Again Gel coat can also be polished using normal automotive polishes.

Make absolutely sure though that it is fibreglass and NOT composite panelling.

I will post up some links for clay bars later.

I mention Last touch detailng spray above as an ideal lube . Mix it 50/5o with water.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back