charging your leisure battery (1 Viewer)

tattoobluedog12345

Free Member
Jan 29, 2014
manchester/ winton eccles
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato burstner A647
Exp
about 8
hello this has probably been asked here before when I have my MH on 240v on my drive does this charge the leisure battery ???
would I be better fitting a trickle charger straight to the leisure battery and if so where do I need to plug the charger in ie in my MH or is this defeating the object or from my house.

cheers

tinkering

Free Member
Feb 25, 2009
dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1972
First answer is Yes.. Second answer is Depends...

Both answers depend on what Amps the charger in your van produces and what amps your battery is rated at..
Keepin things simple ..If your charger produces 10amps and you have a 100 amps leisure battery if your battery is half charged ie 50% it should after charging for five hours be fully charged ie 100%.

Leisure batteries however are not like car batteries.. If you constantly drain them below the 50% level (very easy to do) you will very quickly damage them.

I personally take the battery out of the van ..andcheck the battery charge level with a hydromiter .

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If you have a tester then check the battery when not hooked up, then hook up and test again, it should be higher if charging.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
The built in charger will charge your habitation battery as long as its turned on.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
hello this has probably been asked here before when I have my MH on 240v on my drive does this charge the leisure battery ???
would I be better fitting a trickle charger straight to the leisure battery and if so where do I need to plug the charger in ie in my MH or is this defeating the object or from my house.

cheers

I do not mean to offend in any way. By simply typing charging your leisure battery at the search button I found this:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ng+your+leisure+battery&o=relevance&c[node]=5

Now I know thats a lot of reading, but many members have replied to the same question again and again. Enjoy the read.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The answer depends upon the type and quality of charger you have in the motorhome. A cheap and nasty or old fashioned one is going to cause some problems. But a modern high quality one will not. My Schaudt Electrobloc varies the charge that goes into the batteries depending upon their condition. That applies whether the charge is coming form the mains, the solar panels or both.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back